Sixers - Nuggets trade just happened

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Trade with Sixers allows Denver to shed payroll

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The teams that combined on December's Allen Iverson blockbuster trade hooked up for another deal Monday.

Philadelphia and Denver agreed to a deal that sends reserve center Steven Hunter and second-year forward Bobby Jones to Iverson's Nuggets for forward Reggie Evans and the draft rights to Puerto Rican forward Ricky Sanchez.

The Nuggets knew they were thrusting themselves into luxury-tax territory when they won the Iverson Sweepstakes, but this deal will enable them to shed nearly $8 million in salary.

"This move greatly helps us add depth at our center position while reducing our inventory of power forwards," Mark Warkentien, Denver's vice president of basketball operations, told The Associated Press. "Reggie played a valuable role for us during his time in Denver and we appreciate his professionalism."

The Nuggets also are getting themselves a backup for veteran center Marcus Camby by tapping into their depth at power forward, believing that Evans would have struggled for minutes with Kenyon Martin expected to make his comeback from a second microfracture knee surgery and with Nene Hilario and George Karl favorite Eduardo Najera also ahead of him at the position.

"Steven is an athletic, 7-foot big man, a Mile High runner that can block shots," Warkentien told AP. "We think his presence will provide us with a more balanced roster. Bobby is an intriguing young player, who really played well at the end of the season."

In Evans, Philadelphia lands one of the league's foremost per-minute rebounders. Evans offset his offensive limitations by averaging 7.0 boards in 17.1 minutes per game for the Nuggets last season and has a career average of 7.2 rebounds in just 19.9 minutes.

If there's a risk for the 76ers, it's the foot injury suffered by starting center Samuel Dalembert while playing for Canada in the recent pre-Olympic qualifying tournament in Las Vegas. Yet Sixers president Billy King said last week that the club expects Dalembert to be ready for the start of training camp Oct. 2 in Durham, N.C. Dalembert started all 82 games last season.

Hunter has been available via trade for well over a year, after the Sixers nearly dealt him to New Orleans in February 2006. The trade with the Hornets, halfway through Hunter's first season in Philadelphia, would have sent two second-round picks to Philadelphia but was rescinded by the Hornets because of unspecified health concerns. The 7-footer averaged 6.4 points and 4.8 minutes for the Sixers last season, playing 70 games and averaging 22.9 minutes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3012940

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
Yup. Two guys that I was talking about all Summer (and every other Suns fan too) just got traded for each other.

Hunter for Evans

Both would be awsome as a Sun - so I am kind of envious of these teams who have their services. Heck, even tough-man Eduardo Najera would have been the answer in the Suns frontline - considering they love small power forwards who hustle and run. All fit the profile. And Hunter would make one darn good center off the bench as we saw in 2004.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
"Inventory," LOL.

Gotta like the Camby/Hunter combination. I wonder if they think Martin will give them anything this year?

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
"Inventory," LOL.

Gotta like the Camby/Hunter combination. I wonder if they think Martin will give them anything this year?

Well, as an advocate of bigs, I must love the Nuggets situation.

Unlike the weak, thin, guard-turned-into-center depth-lacking frontline of the Suns - the Nuggets actually have something to showcase when all the Duncans, Garnetts, Boozers, and Boshs storm into town.

Here is their frontline rotation

Center: Camby & Hunter
Power: Nene & Martin
Extra: Najera & Kleiza

That is six (6) big men. Suns have exactly half of that. I rest my case.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yes please rest your case. Steven Hunter is worthless and he won't help any team defending Tim Duncan.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
That is six (6) big men. Suns have exactly half of that. I rest my case.

The Suns need big man help, desperately, but exaggerating doesn't help your point. Kleiza is terrible, no better than Marks, and Martin is a huge question mark, from whom anything this season will be a bonus. So, from a practical standpoint, the Nuggets have four bigs and the Suns have two, if you count Diaw. (Marion will never be a big in my book.)

Maligzar

Registered
Reaction score
LOL Steven Hunter. He failed his physical which is why the last time they tried to trade him failed. Aside from that he's horrible. He can block shots, but that's about it. He is the worst kind of offensive liability, the kind that SUCKS and THINKS HE IS GOOD. I can still remember cringing everytime ole whiney face got the ball.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
But of course, the Nuggets have had so much success against San Antonio in the last few years...they must be doing something right, eh? ;)

Seriously, this is a very nice trade for Denver. Everybody here remembers what Steven Hunter brings, and I like Bobby Jones as much as anybody--he should make Diawara expendable for them.

It's the kind of trade that might kick the Nuggets from 6th place all the way up to sixth, but as we all know, when a team is desperate to shed salary, they can do a lot worse. :shrug:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Hunter would have been a good addition to this team, if he can play at the same level he was when he was here before. He would still be a deep bench player.

So, what is it about Marks that we haven't seen yet?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But of course, the Nuggets have had so much success against San Antonio in the last few years...they must be doing something right, eh? ;)

Seriously, this is a very nice trade for Denver. Everybody here remembers what Steven Hunter brings, and I like Bobby Jones as much as anybody--he should make Diawara expendable for them.

It's the kind of trade that might kick the Nuggets from 6th place all the way up to sixth, but as we all know, when a team is desperate to shed salary, they can do a lot worse. :shrug:

I'd like to think they know what he doesn't bring as well. Talk about an overrated player on this board. He might be a nice addition, but there are a lot more better options than him.

mribnik

Reaction score
I think Hunter would have been a good addition to this team, if he can play at the same level he was when he was here before. He would still be a deep bench player.

So, what is it about Marks that we haven't seen yet?

We haven't even seen Marks yet. I suspect that at the very least, he'll be better than Burke.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05