so far....

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
Of all the coaches that have been hired so far, none of them have me total overboard on their hiring.. I dont know why.. and why is it taking so long to get a full staff together.. dont usually the new HC have thier staff together by know with the time he has been hired.. please some try to explain or give examples for the new hires so I can start drinking the kool-aid again.. go cards.. and some suggestions for the coaches postitions that still need to be filled..

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
They have to get permission to talk to potential coaches if they are already under contract and if they don't get it or the coach declines they have to look for the next one on the list. With some staffs in flux, teams are holding onto assistants in order to see if their new coach wants them. It's like this with all of the new staffs.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe that's been the problem in the past. Coaches have their staff in place as soon as they get hired. I think its refreshing to have a guy like Whisenhunt who apparently is taking his time getting what appears to be the right coaches in place. And I think it will show in discipline, toughness and eventually wins when the new season starts.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
When I think of Whisenhunt, I think of smart, tough, disciplined. Oh no, not another 6 months of this until training camp!!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If you're not excited with the new Offensive Coordinator, Haley, then I don't know what you can be excited about. Hayley got Terrell Owens, despite missing like 4 games with a broken hand and leading the league in dropped passes, into the Top 5 in the NFL in receiving yards and #1 in the NFL in receiving TDs.

People on here compare Boldin to Hines Ward, but physically he's a lot more like Owens, only not quite as fast but much more physical. My rap on Boldin has mostly been that he doesn't score enough TDs. If Whisenhunt and Hayley can't find ways to get Boldin in the End Zone, then no one can.

I agree that there's not much to be excited about on the other side of the line of scrimmage. Clancy Pendergast seems to have been as overrated by Rod Graves and company as Raynoch Thompson and L.J. Shelton were. He'll have his chance this year, but there's not much to be excited about. We've heard the same things about CP as we heard about Larry Marmie before he left. Hard to believe that Whisenhunt had the same control over the head man on his defensive staff when it seems that he didn't get the chance to interview anyone else, and Pendergast's contract hasn't been extended. But I think there's hope with a new secondary coach (who did a great job with Ken Hamlin and Michael Boulware and many members of the Seahawk secondary) and I'm still not ready to give up on Eric Green or Antrel Rolle.

At the very least, the new draft guides are going to be coming out in the next two or three weeks, and we'll all have something to pour over. The deadline for designating franchise players is not far away.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of what assistant coaches do is "invisible" to most fans.

And if you go the "stat" route, the problem is that unit stats are impacted by other aspects of football play (i.e. a team that always plays from behind is likely to pass more - pass attempts and yardage will go up, running attempts and yardage will go down. Sacks given up will go up. etc. etc.)

We can get a general qualitative idea of how certain players and units have performed under the wing of various coaches, but we can't be "a fly on the wall" to know how a coach deals with an individual player, how he corrects problems, which buttons he pushes etc.

That said, the moves look like solid football moves "on paper", but we'll just have to wait and see how accurately this translates into the real thing.

No reason to drink Kool-Aid or Dark Side Potion. Don't drink anything til we see these guys in action.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of what assistant coaches do is "invisible" to most fans.

And if you go the "stat" route, the problem is that unit stats are impacted by other aspects of football play (i.e. a team that always plays from behind is likely to pass more - pass attempts and yardage will go up, running attempts and yardage will go down. Sacks given up will go up. etc. etc.)

We can get a general qualitative idea of how certain players and units have performed under the wing of various coaches, but we can't be "a fly on the wall" to know how a coach deals with an individual player, how he corrects problems, which buttons he pushes etc.

That said, the moves look like solid football moves "on paper", but we'll just have to wait and see how accurately this translates into the real thing.

No reason to drink Kool-Aid or Dark Side Potion. Don't drink anything til we see these guys in action.

It's gonna be a looooong dry spell.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i looking foward to the free agent period and the draft period. after this is all done then it will start getting exciting again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05