SONICS looking to Deal on Draft Day?

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52635/20080521/seattle_thinking_about_dealing_no._4_pick/
No lottery luck for Sonics

By Percy Allen
Seattle Times staff reporter
</H1>

Related

The lottery luck that pushed the Sonics near the top of last year's draft and produced rookie of the year Kevin Durant turned sour on Tuesday.
Dreams of drafting Memphis guard Derrick Rose or Kansas State forward Michael Beasley were dashed when NBA deputy commissioner Adam Silver read the results in reverse order at the league's entertainment studio in Secaucus, N.J.
The Sonics, who finished with the NBA's second-worst record, had a 38.9 percent chance of landing one of the top two picks. This time, however, fortune smiled on the Chicago Bulls, who rose from ninth in the lottery to the top spot in the June 26 draft.
Seattle fell to No. 4 behind the Miami Heat, which will select second, and the Minnesota Timberwolves.
So say goodbye to Rose and Beasley and say hello to Jerryd Bayless.
The 6-foot-3 Arizona freshman, touted as the second-best point guard in the draft, is among a handful of second-tier prospects who will draw serious consideration from the Sonics.
Others include Stanford 7-foot center Brook Lopez, who will likely be taken by Minnesota, USC guard O.J. Mayo, Indiana guard Eric Gordon and Italian League forward Danilo Gallinari.
"Everybody goes into the lottery with hopes of getting the No. 1 pick, but we're excited to have the fourth pick because we feel like we can get a quality player there," general manager Sam Presti said. "We'll get someone that can help and continue to build on the foundation that we have in place."
Several draft Web sites believe the Sonics will select Bayless, a shoot-first point guard who averaged 19.7 points, 4 assists, 2.7 rebounds and 3 turnovers in 30 games.
"He's is an explosive scorer and he is a relentless competitor," said Washington Huskies assistant coach Cameron Dollar. "Every possession, he puts so much heat on you that it required everything we had to hold him down and contain him."
Bayless scored 48 points in two games against the Huskies.
What sets him apart from Mayo and Gordon is his ability to score, dribble into the lane and draw fouls. He connected on 18 of 20 free throws against Houston and had a six-game stretch in the Pac-10 during which he attempted at least eight free throws each game.
You must be registered for see images

"He's very aggressive and very competitive with the right type of edge," Dollar said. "He was the most difficult guy for us to prepare for in the Pac-10 season because of his ability to get to the free-throw line and his ability to take guys off of the bounce. He can shoot it with deep range and defensively he can get down and get after it as well.
"He has the whole package."
During a short interview from New Jersey, Presti declined to specifically discuss prospects or what areas he hopes to address on a squad that finished 20-62 last season.
He said the Sonics are open to shopping the fourth pick. Seattle also has the No. 24 pick, four picks in the second round and a combined four first-round selections in the next two drafts.
"With that many selections in the draft, we're certainly going to be busy," Presti said. "The phone will probably ring a few times on draft night. We're going to use those assets as ways to try to build our team and build on the foundation that we have in place."
A Western Conference executive said Tuesday a handful of teams are interested in moving up in the draft to select Mayo and would likely call Presti inquiring about a trade.
The embattled guard, who faces allegations of accepting $30,000 from an agent last season, could be a poor fit for the Sonics. Since Presti arrived last year, the team has placed a high emphasis on rebuilding with high-character, low-maintenance players.
"I'm confident that we'll add another talented player, so we're excited," Presti said.
Man...... if it were only possible to make a deal for that #4 pick.....they need a PG and another shooter.
Hmmm...just dreamin'.

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
As an Okie I have to say I'd be thrilled if they get a shoot-first point guard to go along with Durant. Makings of a great team for years to come. But you are right, that's EXACTLY what the Sun's need! Groom a guy to start once Steve retires and to back him up. They also need to start looking for and grooming a center as well. Good luck as their becoming so hard to find.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
We could use a higher slot. At 15 I'm not thrilled at the choices we have.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
At this point in his career, Bell should be considered a trading piece - especially since he was ghost-like all year....

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to that #24 back if it's not too expensive. This is a deep draft and there are some solid prospects likely at that slot.

Maligzar

Registered
Reaction score
At this point in his career, Bell should be considered a trading piece - especially since he was ghost-like all year....

Are you kidding me? Bell makes 5 million a year. He's the lowest paid rotation guy on the team. Everyone, O'Neal, Stat, Nash, Diaw, Barbosa all make more money than him.

Please show me another guard who makes 2nd team all-defensive. Shoots 40% from 3 (65% in the playoffs) and 42% (56% in the playoffs) from the field while taking on the other team's top offensive perimeter player night in and night out. All for the bargain price of 5 million a year.

The problem with Raja Bell is that people (for some reason) expect him to play like a 10 million dollar guy.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bayless is a no brainer for that team, IMO. I would be surprised if they trade out.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:yeahthat:

O.J. would be interesting too.

Interesting yes. :)

Where would he play though? PJ Carlissimo already said Durant will stay at SG next year (huge mistake) and that Jeff Green will play SF.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting yes. :)

Where would he play though? PJ Carlissimo already said Durant will stay at SG next year (huge mistake) and that Jeff Green will play SF.

dunno. Jeff Green was an odd pick for them for sure. Taking him kinda screws up everything.

Durant should be at the 3. Unless someone Beasley falls to #4, then you could leave Durant at SG.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Bell makes 5 million a year. He's the lowest paid rotation guy on the team. Everyone, O'Neal, Stat, Nash, Diaw, Barbosa all make more money than him.

Please show me another guard who makes 2nd team all-defensive. Shoots 40% from 3 (65% in the playoffs) and 42% (56% in the playoffs) from the field while taking on the other team's top offensive perimeter player night in and night out. All for the bargain price of 5 million a year.

The problem with Raja Bell is that people (for some reason) expect him to play like a 10 million dollar guy.

Riiiight. :rolleyes:

It's such a great thing we have Bell to defend guys on the perimeter. Geez, if we didn't have him, Ginobili would have averaged 40 points instead of 35. Bell is toast, is cheaply paid and we need a good starting 2. Bell is only good coming off the bench at this stage in his career....

Irish

Registered
Reaction score

Many Suns fans have a deep seated desire to rebuild the team every year. In the past week or so I think everybody on the team with a contract over one year has been suggested as trade bait. The explanations are pretty curious:

Barbosa - Good salary (thus attractive to others) and not a good series with the Spurs.

Diaw - Overpaid and not asertive enough

Shaq - Old and slow

Nash - Over the hilll and can't play defense

Amare - Not a good defender and doesn't pass the ball out of the post well enough.

Bell - Getting older and can't guard Kobe

Splashy trade proposals can get attention, while posts titled "Let's Not Do Anything Stupid" don't. The sad part is that most proposals fail simply because the numbers don't work. The other most common falicy is that teams are anxious to trade way talented guys under rookie contracts.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
To be honest, Bell was injured a lot more than he led on imo. I think dantoni played him too many minutes when he should have been resting his injuries. He even commented on in a little bit in the middle of the season, something along the lines of if the coach thinks I can play then im going to lace up for gametime. You see a significant different in the games where he is 100% healthy, and Im fine with giving him another starting season under our new coach.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To be honest, Bell was injured a lot more than he led on imo. I think dantoni played him too many minutes when he should have been resting his injuries. He even commented on in a little bit in the middle of the season, something along the lines of if the coach thinks I can play then im going to lace up for gametime. You see a significant different in the games where he is 100% healthy, and Im fine with giving him another starting season under our new coach.

thats because for the last 3 seasons, D'Antoni bled him about 5-6 minutes more than he should be getting. If he had a more reliable backup or if he came off as the sixth man, his energy boost on defense would be much higher... it affected him substantially... and his ability recover from injuries too.

Muggum

Registered
Reaction score
Again, if Brook Lopez is #3, then the draft is pretty crummy after #2. No need to move up.

okhoops

Rookie
Reaction score
If D'Antoni had fail in a reliable back-up and let the one of the young guys play right from the get-go. Look how the faith Flip put in Stuckey as soon as he was healthy is rewarding Detroit. If you draft a guy in the first round, he should be damn well playing. If not, it was a crappy draft pick.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Again, if Brook Lopez is #3, then the draft is pretty crummy after #2. No need to move up.

Brook Lopez has received a lot of attention because he's a berric offensive player, decent rebounder, and decent defender. He's no Odom or Aldridge, but should be a good player - but probably not great.

Consensus is that this draft is a very good one in terms of depth, but it depends on what you are looking for.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser