Sources: Arm 'red flag' nixed Webb-'Zona deal

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Concerns raised by insurance companies over Brandon Webb's arm caused the Diamondbacks to withdraw their offer of a three-year, $54 million contract extension to the right-hander last June, according to major-league sources.

Webb passed a team physical, sources say, but insurance companies use a higher standard when assessing risk. Multiple companies raised concerns, creating a "red flag" for the Diamondbacks, sources say. The contract was contingent on the club securing an appropriate insurance policy for the pitcher.

The condition of Webb's arm became an issue on Wednesday when the Diamondbacks said that he would miss his next start due to shoulder stiffness. But Webb, who turns 30 on May 9, has been extremely durable for most his career.

Webb's only career trip to the disabled list, for elbow tendinitis, was from May 24 to June 8, 2003. No major-league pitcher threw more innings from 2005 to '08.

All veteran pitchers experience wear and tear on their arms; Webb, despite the insurance companies' concerns, might pitch 10 more seasons without injury, one source said.

He completed last season without disruption, tying for the major-league lead with 22 victories and earning a top-two finish in the National League Cy Young Award voting for the third straight year.

The extent of Webb's shoulder problem, which surfaced in a poor opening-day start against the Rockies, is not yet known.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9433794/Sources:-Arm-

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If only this insurance company took a look at Byrnes' hamstrings...

Anyways, Webb's biggest problem is his weight.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
On the radio they said he passed the team's physical exam but the insurance company's own review revealed something along the lines of "structural integrity issues"

Geo2000

Reaction score
They can say what they want about the insurance, but this another money issue. Someone will insure his arm and you can bet than when hes pitching for the Red Sox or Angels after 2010, either of those clubs won't have an issue insuring him.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thats the best they can come up with?

What was the reason we couldn't get a big bat?

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have told all my friends after watching Webb this spring Webb would have some extensive surgery this year. I had two chances to draft him in fantasy bball and I passed. I hope we haven't seen the last of him as a DBack though...