Specter Calls Patriots’ Spying Wider Than Stated

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/15/sports/football/15nfl.html?ref=football

WASHINGTON — After meeting with a former New England Patriots employee who helped the team spy on opponents, Senator Arlen Specter on Wednesday described the team’s illicit videotaping tactics as more systematic and deliberate than what the N.F.L. has acknowledged publicly.

Mr. Specter, a Republican from Pennsylvania, said the former employee, Matt Walsh, described elaborate measures by the Patriots to conceal their filming of opponents’ signals. Mr. Walsh also explained how the Patriots’ coaching staff gleaned strategic information from members of the team’s video crew who had watched the St. Louis Rams’ walk-through practice before the 2002 Super Bowl.

He also identified more games and opponents that were filmed by the Patriots and detailed the advantages the team gained in later games.

Mr. Specter, a longtime Philadelphia Eagles fan, has battled with the N.F.L. on several issues over the years. This time, with his continued criticism of the league’s investigation into the Patriots, he is raising questions about the legitimacy of the Patriots’ accomplishments — which include three Super Bowl titles this decade, one against the Eagles, and an 18-0 record last season before a loss to the Giants in the Super Bowl.

Mr. Specter said the league should initiate an inquiry like the one commissioned by Major League Baseball to explore the use of performance-enhancing drugs in that sport. “They owe the public a lot more candor and a lot more credibility,” Mr. Specter said.

The N.F.L. responded in a statement: “We respectfully disagree with Senator Specter’s characterization of the investigation conducted by our office. We are following up.”

The news conference came one day after Mr. Specter and N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell conducted separate interviews with Mr. Walsh. At Mr. Goodell’s news conference on Tuesday, he said he considered the matter closed, but would reopen his investigation if new information became available.

Mr. Specter and Mr. Goodell have long disagreed on what information is considered new and what information is relevant.

Mr. Goodell has said that Patriots Coach Bill Belichick admitted to misinterpreting league rules on videotaping, which probably dates to the beginning of his tenure in New England in 2000. Mr. Specter said that information was not made public until he met with the commissioner in February.

At a news conference before the Super Bowl 12 days before that meeting, Mr. Goodell did not answer a question about how far back the videotaping went. He also said that league officials “think it was quite limited.”

Mr. Specter cited other details that have not been revealed by the league. Mr. Walsh says was instructed to say he was filming “tight shots” or filming highlights if another team asked why the Patriots had an extra camera. The red light on Mr. Walsh’s camera was broken to conceal that he was recording. If Mr. Walsh was asked why he was not filming the play on the field, he was supposed to indicate that he was filming the down marker. During the American Football Conference championship game in 2002, against the Steelers, Mr. Walsh was instructed not to wear the Patriots’ logo, Mr. Specter said.

Mr. Walsh, who worked for the Patriots from 1997 to 2003, provided the league with eight videotapes from 2000 to 2002. The Patriots provided the league with six tapes from late in the 2006 season to the 2007 preseason.

Mr. Specter said Mr. Walsh also told him about games taped in between, when Mr. Walsh was a Patriots season-ticket holder and witnessed his successor, Steve Scarnecchia, engage in similar videotaping against the Steelers (September 2002 and October 2004) and Cowboys (November 2003).

Mr. Walsh told Mr. Specter that there were more games, but he could not recall specifics.

After Mr. Walsh handed over the eight videotapes last week, much was made about what he did not have — video of the Rams’ walk-through practice. The Boston Herald apologized on its Web site on Tuesday and in print editions on Wednesday for an erroneous report in February that said the Patriots had taped the walk-through.

At his Tuesday news conference, Mr. Goodell acknowledged that Mr. Walsh had been at the walk-through, along with the rest of the Patriots’ video crew. After the news conference, a league lawyer clarified that Mr. Walsh had seen Rams running back Marshall Faulk lining up as a kick returner, and some of the Rams’ offensive formations.

Brian Daboll, a former Patriots assistant now with the Jets, asked Mr. Walsh about what he had seen. Mr. Specter revealed Wednesday that Mr. Walsh told Mr. Daboll, and Mr. Daboll drew diagrams of the formations Mr. Walsh described. The Patriots defeated the Rams, 20-17, in the Super Bowl. The Rams were considered a heavy favorite.

“It’s significant,” Mr. Specter said.

Mr. Daboll, in a statement, said: “It’s a league matter. I am cooperating with the league.”

Mr. Specter also challenged Mr. Goodell to initiate an independent investigation, similar to the Mitchell report, baseball’s examination of performance-enhancing drugs led by the former Senator George J. Mitchell. Selling and using steroids without a prescription can be criminal offenses; no one has been accused of criminal behavior in the N.F.L.’s cheating scandal.

In his reasoning for a similar investigation, Mr. Specter noted the N.F.L.’s antitrust exemption, the conflict between the N.F.L.’s and the public’s interests in the matter and the example the Patriots set for youth by cheating. So far, no other members of Congress have expressed an interest in the Patriots, but Mr. Specter said he could provide them with the information he has gathered.

Mr. Specter, the ranking Republican on the Judiciary Committee, stopped short of saying he would initiate immediate congressional interest in the matter, saying, “I hope the commissioner will do this on his own.”

If the N.F.L. does not conduct an investigation, Mr. Specter said, “it’s up to Congress to investigate and take corrective action; there might be hearings.”

“If the public loses confidence in professional football, it will be like wrestling,” he said.

Mr. Specter said the N.F.L. never gave a plausible explanation for why it destroyed the tapes from the initial investigation, which began after a Patriots employee was caught filming the Jets’ defensive signals during a Sept. 9 game. At that time, the Patriots were fined $250,000 and lost a first-round draft pick, and Belichick was fined $500,000. On Tuesday, the N.F.L. said the team would not be further punished.

Mr. Specter criticized the league for playing down the significance of taping signals.

Mr. Goodell has said he does not believe the taping “affected the outcome of any games.” Mr. Specter said the Patriots’ system of code-breaking was too sophisticated, the methods too concealed, for taping not to have an effect. He called it an “insult to the intelligence of people who follow it.”

He listed several instances in which the Patriots taped one game and improved the next time they played those teams, highlighting one story from Mr. Walsh in particular. Mr. Walsh first filmed opponents’ signals in the 2000 preseason, against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. After the Patriots used the signals in the 2000 opener against Tampa Bay, Mr. Walsh told Mr. Specter, he asked an unidentified Patriots player about the signals.

Mr. Specter said Mr. Walsh told him the player met with Mr. Belichick, his longtime assistant Ernie Adams and the assistant Charlie Weis, now the head coach at Notre Dame, to discuss how the team would make use of the signals. Mr. Specter said Mr. Walsh said the player told him this helped the Patriots anticipate 75 percent of the plays called by the opposing team.

The Patriots did not respond to a request seeking comment. A Notre Dame spokesperson declined a request to speak with Mr. Weis, saying it was not a Notre Dame matter.

Mr. Specter also addressed whether he was motivated to pursue this issue because of his relationship with Comcast Corp. One of his largest supporters, Comcast is currently in a dispute with the N.F.L. over distribution of the NFL Network.

“They have been campaign contributors, along with 50,000 other people,” Mr. Specter said. “The last campaign cost $23 million dollars. I don’t know what they contributed, but I’ve been at this line of work for a long time, and no one has ever questioned my integrity.”

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go away Arlen.

So, you don't want them to find out if the Patriots were cheating more than they say that they were? I sure as hell do. The steroids probe was good for baseball too.

They say the average person only admits to half of the things that they have done wrong when confronted........

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So, you don't want them to find out if the Patriots were cheating more than they say that they were? I sure as hell do. The steroids probe was good for baseball too.

They say the average person only admits to half of the things that they have done wrong when confronted........
What do you want them to investigate? The stuff that they investigated?

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Governments have long prided themselves on studying studies and confirming conformations. It's a time honored tradition. :D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, because baseball's internal investigation on steroids did the job right?

That's why places have independent investigations. You don't think that NFL wouldn't try to protect their interests vs. finding out the complete truth?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Apples to oranges.
  1. The steroid use was illegal. The taping, while against the rules, was not illegal.
  2. The steroid use was ongoing. The Patriots were caught, punished and are now on the NFL's radar. I have no doubt that the NFL is watching the Patriots and will come down on them like a ton of bricks if the taping happens again.
That's why places have independent investigations. You don't think that NFL wouldn't try to protect their interests vs. finding out the complete truth?
You don't think that it is in the NFL's best interest to make sure that this stops? If this arises again, especially with the Patriots, it will not be good for the NFL.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[/LIST]You don't think that it is in the NFL's best interest to make sure that this stops? If this arises again, especially with the Patriots, it will not be good for the NFL.

Of course I think that it is in their best interest to see that it stops. But do you think that it would be in their best interest to tell everyone that the Patriots have been taping every game they have played in for the past 5 years?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Of course I think that it is in their best interest to see that it stops. But do you think that it would be in their best interest to tell everyone that the Patriots have been taping every game they have played in for the past 5 years?
It's my understanding that they basically did tape all of the games of teams that they play often. Is the NFL going to re-investigate what they have already discovered?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that they basically did tape all of the games of teams that they play often. Is the NFL going to re-investigate what they have already discovered?

Yes, and see if there is anything that the NFL intentionally, or unintentionally missed.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yes, and see if there is anything that the NFL intentionally, or unintentionally missed.
Huh. I think that is a waste of time. They know that the Patriots taped signals. There is no evidence that they taped any walk throughs or practices. Obviously you feel differently.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score

Wow. I cant imagine what he thinks he will find. I really want to spend 30 million dollars of tax payers money for this...

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow. I cant imagine what he thinks he will find. I really want to spend 30 million dollars of tax payers money for this...
I'm pretty sure that the NFL would pay for it. Even so, there are bigger problems for this country and Pennsylvania that Arlen Specter could be dealing with.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the NFL would pay for it. Even so, there are bigger problems for this country and Pennsylvania that Arlen Specter could be dealing with.

why would the NFL pay for an investigation that they don't agree with?

Overall, I just don't know if we have heard the whole spygate story.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
why would the NFL pay for an investigation that they don't agree with?
Here's why.

What is Specter talking about when he talks about the NFL's "antitrust exemption"?

Specter is talking about a law known as the Sports Broadcasting Act that is the legal and economic foundation of the NFL, the most successful enterprise in the history of sports. There is no faster way to capture the attention of NFL owners and commissioner Roger Goodell than to suggest that Congress could revisit the law that allows NFL owners to pool their television rights, sell them as a package, and split the profits equally. Enacted in 1961, the law is the single most important factor in the league's success. Without the law, each franchise would be selling its television rights individually, which would result in the big-market teams making big money and a team like Green Bay going out of business.

Congress could remove the exemption. That would be a hell of alot worse than any investigation would uncover.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's why.

What is Specter talking about when he talks about the NFL's "antitrust exemption"?

Specter is talking about a law known as the Sports Broadcasting Act that is the legal and economic foundation of the NFL, the most successful enterprise in the history of sports. There is no faster way to capture the attention of NFL owners and commissioner Roger Goodell than to suggest that Congress could revisit the law that allows NFL owners to pool their television rights, sell them as a package, and split the profits equally. Enacted in 1961, the law is the single most important factor in the league's success. Without the law, each franchise would be selling its television rights individually, which would result in the big-market teams making big money and a team like Green Bay going out of business.

Congress could remove the exemption. That would be a hell of alot worse than any investigation would uncover.

Hmm. Interesting.

Not sure if Congress would do that, but wow.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Arlen Specter is feeling guilty about the sorry assed job he did investigating the Kennedy assassination many moons ago and wants to make up for it with this earth shattering event.

Hey Arlen, its a game. They broke rules, not laws. The only ones who are pee'd off are the gamblers and obsessed fans, who probably need to evaluate their priorities.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Specter's point about the League "investigating" itself being a conflict of interest is valid.

I know N.E. is not the league, but the best interest of the League is to "make it go away" and minimize the impact to League's records and integrety, not uncover a cheating scandle that covered nearly ten years and multiple champioinships; not to mention who else was doing it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For what it's worth - Spector has a close relationship with Comcast Cable. Comcast is in a bitter dispute over access to NFL Network (which is run by the league). It's fair to question the sincerity of Spector's motives.

Seems to me that this is an internal league matter, and Spector should have more important issues to be involved with - regarding war, peace and the US economy.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth - Spector has a close relationship with Comcast Cable. Comcast is in a bitter dispute over access to NFL Network (which is run by the league). It's fair to question the sincerity of Spector's motives.

Seems to me that this is an internal league matter, and Spector should have more important issues to be involved with - regarding war, peace and the US economy.

Interesting point with Comcast. If he can assist breaking up the Anti Trust Exemption, Comcast would benefit hugely.

Really like your take on Arlen's priorities. :thumbup:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting.... using this as leverage to try and get the NFLN on Comcast.... I could see it I guess.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Interesting.... using this as leverage to try and get the NFLN on Comcast.... I could see it I guess.
NFLN??? I thought the dispute is over NFL ticket (Direct TV only I believe). I think Comcast is pissing off their customers because you have to buy some stupid sport package to get NFLN but you can get it (at least here in PDX you can).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser