Spurs vs. Suns - From a Spurs Fan

FHUBaller05

Reaction score
I could discuss Spurs basketball all day, so, this may get long.

Pre-playoff, I honestly didn't see any team beating the Mavericks in seven. From their regular season play, it seemed obvious who was the favorite. And I hate the Mavericks. This should be proof that I can set down the Spurs shades and be logical. And by the way, I'm so happy they were upset.

My next pick to win would be the Suns. With Barbosa playing how he was, Amare and Nash consistantly putting up potential Hall of Fame numbers, and of course Shawn Marion in the mix, the Suns seemed unstoppable in seven games.

And then I had my Spurs. I was scared of our age, streaky play, and history of blowing games we should win in the playoffs. I love my Spurs, but I know how we can get in the playoffs against consistantly good teams. I'm born and raised in San Antonio, silver and black is in my blood, but it just seemed like 4 tough series that I wasn't fully confident we could win in a row (Nuggets, Suns, Mavs, Pistons).

With that said, PLEASE understand that the entire Robert Horry thing is not something we are proud of. The Spurs have never had to resort to things like that. Acutally, we we're always the team getting beat up (Karl Malone's elbow to David Robinson, Juwan Howard taking out Derek Anderson, the entire Timberwolves team playing dirty in first round playoff series of past). I was in SHOCK when I saw what he did. It was an unecassary hit (although at the END of his fall, Nash did flop a little! Admit it!!! lol). It was an unecassarilly hard hit as well that deserved an ejection. It crossed the line and I didn't like it. Steve Nash, I am sorry that happend.

Amare and Diaw did run on the court. That's the bottom line that every analyst is touching on. BUT, I would have done the same thing. If someone hockey-checked my PG, it'd be a natural instict to pop-up and be ready to crack some heads. And I think it is logical to assume that Amare and Diaw were not bringing flowers onto the court. NBA rules state that if a player runs on the court during an altercation, it is a suspendable offense. They are grown men who knew the rules and did it anyways, and it's regretable, but that simply is how it is. Is it a fair ruling? I think so. Does it give the Spurs an undeserving advantage? I think so. I hate to win that way honestly. Because with how we played 3 out of 4 quarters, Game 5 w/ Amare and Diaw probably would have been a blowout, if not a blowout a likely win. But, none-the-less, I'll take a W. I hope to express that Spurs fans understand we were spoon-fed a win.

Bruce Bowen is a GREAT defensive player, and if the Suns had him, they'd love him. He's simply one of those guys that you hate when in opposistion but love when they are on your side. Like a Rasheed Wallace or a Robert Horry (I HATED him when he was a Laker, but he's come up big for us as a Spur. We can't help but to like him). I think it the whole Achilles "attack" was a bogus claim, but the shot to the crotch was uncalled for.

Now, who will win? I think we will. I think the chips are stacked in our favor at the moment playing at home to try and close out the series. The crowd will be insane and we will definately be fired up to play ball with Amare and Diaw back. I predict a 95-100 point game that is an instant classic...as well as a game of alot of contact and a few technical fouls. I'd say we are about a 55-60% favorite to win.

But, if y'all win game 6? I'd say you have a 65-70% game to win the series. A game 7 in Phoenix with momentum, crowd, and circumstance on your side would take a 30 point 18 board effort from Tim, as well as 25 from Manu and Tony with Mike Finely and Big Shot Bob chipping in 8-12 a piece to keep up with the Suns scoring to be able to win.

I do not like the Suns. I do not want to lose this series. And I will not be happy if we don't win this series. I will not root for the Suns if the Suns win this series. But if you do, it will be another reason why I, and everybody else, must respect the Suns and the level of basketball they play at. They simply have the most athletic team in basketball, and the most potent offense since...crap, since I can remember.

And in all honesty, goodluck tonight. I mean that. I hope both teams keep it clean. I don't want anybody getting hurt because of nonsense. I'll check back after a game for another unbiased convo. :)

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are probably a total of 5 plays that have blown this series out of proportion.

Arctic

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think it's weird that in the short time I've been here, I've seen several posts from "spurs fans" saying they are not happy with Horry or the dirty play. That certainly isn't the sentiment I've seen elsewhere. Nice post, but I still think it's weird.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's weird that in the short time I've been here, I've seen several posts from "spurs fans" saying they are not happy with Horry or the dirty play. That certainly isn't the sentiment I've seen elsewhere. Nice post, but I still think it's weird.

There were many Suns fans who disapproved of Bell's clothesline on Kobe last year.

Arctic

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There were many Suns fans who disapproved of Bell's clothesline on Kobe last year.

I don't think those were on quite the same level. Bell's was quite a bit harder IMO. But, yeah, I see what you're saying.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I just moved to Austin recently which can really be considered Spurs country since it is so close to San Antonio. I turned on the sports radio listening to Spurs pre-game show while driving back home from work. Few observations to share:

- Several of the callers were not aware of that they are being called dirty by pretty much the entire nation and they were shocked when the hosts provided them with lists of major sports shows, experts, web sites, etc. (Where do these folks live? On the moon?)

- Most of the callers with some exceptions were very cocky, including the show hosts, and predicted a walk-in-the-park win for Spurs. (I'm sure they probably are not as cocky today after barely squeaking out a win in the last second against six short guys)

- The talk show hosts belittled Nash. Saying he is _not_ the best point guard but Jason Kidd is. He is not in the top class unless he proves he can win a championship. From that regard Tony Parker is much better as he has rings to show (********, Tim Duncan got him the rings :rolleyes:).

There was other horseshit these folks were talking about that I could not bare to listen and turned off the radio. Now I understand that we all are homers and view things from certain colored glasses but I, for instance, have never heard Al McCoy degrade, insult, and belittle other teams' players.

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
So what's the point in sharing above observations?

The few Spurs individuals posting here are either very few exceptions or they are pretending to be nice but are really having fun with what is going on with us.

I, btw, would like to believe the former by giving benefit of the doubt.

Peace!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I, for instance, have never heard Al McCoy degrade, insult, and belittle other teams' players.

Al McCoy doesn't have a radio show for A. He's old school for b.

You never heard Chick Hearn do it either.

However, Dickley and MJ, Gambo and Ash, Idiot Kemp, they all will belittle players from other teams. I've heard Gambo diss the Lakers quite often, and I'm sure they are saying junk now. That's what radio talk hosts do...act like asshats for reaction.

OP
OP
F

FHUBaller05

Reaction score
Do enjoy my team, who was model the integrity and morals of David Robinson and Avery Johnson for the past 15 years, being bashed and called dirty? No way bro. I take it personally and it REALLY bothers me. Anybody, who since they were in elementary school, fell asleep listening to Spurs games on the radio because of an early bedtime and saved lunch money to buy Spurs posters and cards will tell you that they HATE the negative publicy directed at the Spurs. I take it personally when anybody has anything bad to say about the Spurs because since I can remember, they have been the NBA "poster boys" for great sportsmanship and hardwork. Now, that is tainted and I don't enjoy it one bit.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Al McCoy doesn't have a radio show for A. He's old school for b.

You never heard Chick Hearn do it either.

However, Dickley and MJ, Gambo and Ash, Idiot Kemp, they all will belittle players from other teams. I've heard Gambo diss the Lakers quite often, and I'm sure they are saying junk now. That's what radio talk hosts do...act like asshats for reaction.
I don't care about the guys you mentioned. They do these things to attract locals to their shows.

This guy was Spurs play-by-play equivalent to Al McCoy and I believe the other guy was the expert analyst. This other guy was more vocal and was encouraging the callers also to say things against the Suns and if some caller would try to sympathisze (I only remember one guy) or would say they are afraid of this "trap game", they made fun of such callers.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care about the guys you mentioned. They do these things to attract locals to their shows.

This guy was Spurs play-by-play equivalent to Al McCoy and I believe the other guy was the expert analyst. This other guy was more vocal and was encouraging the callers also to say things against the Suns and if some caller would try to sympathisze (I only remember one guy) or would say they are afraid of this "trap game", they made fun of such callers.

I don't think you realize how lucky you are to have a broadcaster like McCoy. Even Stu without Chick these days is a good, fair game caller. Watching the Lakers on League Pass, I've had the misfortune to hear all the other announcers and a good 80% of them are worthless, hardcore homers who make the games unbearable to listen to. A very few are good, try not to show much bias and admit when they got away with something...the rest are obnoxious blowhards like Heinson.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05