Stackhouse - WHAT A PUNK!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
:violin:

The play was pretty clean up top. Stackhouse's momentum pushed Johnson's body around the waist area, so it was a foul, but really not a very hard one.

The NBA is a tough game. People run as fast and jump as high as they can, and they can't always control how they're going to stop or come down. Injuries will happen, but, believe it or not, sometimes there is no demon to blame.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the play. It's Stackhouse's "so what he got hurt" attitude about the whole thing that makes me angry! :mad:

It's like if I clocked you at work with a mail cart Elindholm, and it was an accident, but you hit your head on a corner of a desk and had to go to the hospital. Then I told a coworker "It was Elindholm's fault because he fell down really stupid!" :biglaugh:

Kolo

Reaction score
Yuma said:
I'm not talking about the play. It's Stackhouse's "so what he got hurt" attitude about the whole thing that makes me angry! :mad:

Not that I'm into defending the enemy, but it was just a hard foul and what I'd hope any Suns player would do in that situation, and here's a quote from Stackhouse in today's Republic:

"I felt I had all ball," Stackhouse said. "His momentum and the way he hung on the rim, he caused the foul himself.

"I'm sorry he got hurt. I wouldn't want anybody to get hurt. I checked on him to make sure he was all right.

"I just challenged the play. Ten times out of 10 I'm going to do the same thing."

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i hate carolina and think stackhouse is a bum .. but have no problems with any of this

he didn't complain with the flagarant call during the game and before JJ shot his free throws came up and showed some support

there is professional courtesy there and i'm sure he isn't happy to see the guy get hurt

but also realize they have a profession where weird things happen and people do get banged up ... he knows it can happen to him and anyone at any moment

it is part of the game

he didn't make a dirty play and really doesn't have anything to feel bad about ... given the same situation you'd hope he'd make the same exact play .. you just wouldn't hope that the guy on the other end gets his head busted open

scotsman13

Reaction score
first of all lets make this clear this wasnt a repeat of danny fortson. in no way shape or form was this a case of a player trying to hurt another. i think that stackhouse was going after the ball. i also believe that he make body contact with jj that caused his to lose his grip on the rim and have his body go out from under him. that is why it was called a flagarant.

also i think this game shows why refs should call contact early in the game so that it doesnt lead to plays like this that end up getting a players hurt. the tone of this game was set early and never changed. dampier got away with grabing all over the place and the other dallas players followed right along.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Like I keep saying, the play I am not complaining about, his not having to feel guilty is not what I am talking about, it's his seemingly indifferent attitude to JJ's injury in his quotes to the press that angers me. :mad:

Kinda like, hey, I made the play, I have nothing to feel bad about, etc. That's all true. But if I fouled JJ like that, and he was injured the same way, I'd at least acknowledge that and at least show SOME humanity and compassion that a fellow competitor is seriously hurt. For a guy who is supposedly a lay minister in his church, Stackhouse seems surprisingly indifferent to JJ's plight.

I mean, after I clocked Elindholm with the mail cart at work, I'd at least give him my best wishes and hope he has a speedy recovery! :biglaugh:

jibikao

Reaction score
Nah, I don't think Stackhouse tried to injure JJ.

Yes, Stackhouse did push JJ a bit but JJ was going too fast and he couldn't control himself so he hung on the rim for a while and then fell down weird....

Ouch.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We aren't saying Stack tried to injure JJ. In fact NOONE in this thread has said that! :confused:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
he did show compassion though

he looked very concerned when he came upto JJ before his free throw

"I'm sorry he got hurt. I wouldn't want anybody to get hurt" sounds like compassion as well

however, this is one of the risks in the game that all players know can happen to them ... you can't think of all the bad that can happen .. it will make a player timid and actually increase the chances of injury

he showed concerned (as he should) ... but can't feel bad about it

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's really sad. that might be the first time JJ has even touched the rim on a slam dunk attempt. Usually it is more like a layup that he drops in an inch over the basket.

Joe Mama

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
jibikao said:
Nah, I don't think Stackhouse tried to injure JJ.

Yes, Stackhouse did push JJ a bit but JJ was going too fast and he couldn't control himself so he hung on the rim for a while and then fell down weird....

Ouch.

I agree with that - it was an unfortunate play.

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Anyone seriously think JJ caused the foul himself?? That's what Stackhouse is saying! :shrug:

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
he did show compassion though

he looked very concerned when he came upto JJ before his free throw

"I'm sorry he got hurt. I wouldn't want anybody to get hurt" sounds like compassion as well

I saw that too.

TNT showed it on the replays post-game.

jibikao

Reaction score
Well, technically if Stackhouse wasn't pushing from behind, JJ would have dunked the ball and landed "well".

So technically, Stackhouse is the reason why JJ got injured.

But Stackhouse didn't knock him down. He actually had a pretty clean block but since both guys were "flying" in the air, Stackhouse jumped forward and knocked JJ forward as well and that's why JJ hung on the rim a bit to stop him from going forward even further...

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was actually a play later in the game where Shawn Marion was undercut going for a rebound that I had a bigger problem with than JJ's play. It might have actually been Stackhouse in its second time as well. Marion looked at the referee like "aren't you going to call that?". It was the rebound just before that 8 second violation. In fact I thought it was that hesitation by Shawn Marion that caused that penalty.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Anyone seriously think JJ caused the foul himself?? That's what Stackhouse is saying! :shrug:

Still, my whole thread is Stackhouse is saying JJ caused the foul. Noone has yet to address whether they believe JJ caused his own foul as Stackhouse is saying! I find that incredibly arrogant or uncaring. To blow the whole thing off as JJ caused his own foul! :mad:

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
It was actually a play later in the game where Shawn Marion was undercut going for a rebound that I had a bigger problem with than JJ's play. It might have actually been Stackhouse in its second time as well. Marion looked at the referee like "aren't you going to call that?". It was the rebound just before that 8 second violation. In fact I thought it was that hesitation by Shawn Marion that caused that penalty.

Joe Mama
My son and I noticed that, too. Also, Amare was "stripped" of the ball on several occasions, but the same plays were fouls by the Suns. :shrug:

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Stackhouse on the JJ play: ".....he caused the foul himself." :shrug: :eek:

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yuma said:

Okay, noone is responding to your actual question, so I will :thumbup:

The statement sounds a little callous, but people don't always use the words that best confer what is going on in their heads. I'm sure he probably meant something like, "He fell hard because his hand was stuck on the rim and I cannot control that."

I think it's bad to take anyone's words too literally, especially professional athletes. Now, if Stack pulls a Fortson and says something like that...

DtownsFinest

Reaction score
Yuma said:

You don't think you are taking his words out of context? The whole quote was:

"I felt I had all ball," Stackhouse said. "His momentum and the way he hung on the rim, he caused the foul himself.

"I'm sorry he got hurt. I wouldn't want anybody to get hurt. I checked on him to make sure he was all right.

"I just challenged the play. Ten times out of 10 I'm going to do the same thing."
user_offline.gif

And BTW, looking at the play Joe Johnson didn't have enough of the rim which is why he fell so awkwardly. If he would've went up with 1 hand instead of 2 do you think he falls that nasty? Stack is saying the right things. As an opponent he can't just come in after a tough win and say things like "It was all my fault" and such and such. He said some nice things without going overboard. That's all you can ask for.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe Mama

i know exactly what you're talking about and i completely agree.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
i know exactly what you're talking about and i completely agree.

Yea, they were backing under players in the air quite a few times. Dampier got called for it once.

Someone needs to tell them that undercutting a player in the air is not boxing out. :?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i have been known to play a rough style of basketball ... i like some of the physical exchanges, as long as they are within reason ... it's amazing how many people get upset about getting boxed out or cleared off a rebound

aside from that normal legal activity i'll step on feet, give an elbow to the arms, chest etc

however, there is a line you do not cross ... don't go for the head, knees or other sensitive areas and absolutely never hit someone with a shot when they are vulnerable

few things upset me more than getting undercut and it is one thing that i'd never do to someone ... not even in retaliation for a cheap shot

it's also probably the only time in recent memory where i've been beyond riled up .... i remember in jr. high I went up for a board and this kid crouched and swung his butt into the back of my legs, causing me to fall over his back and sprawl to the ground

he ran back to get into position ... i played out the injury a little and waited for the shot to go up .. he turned to face the basket and I came up and kicked him in the back of the knee

undercutting is probably the most irresponsible thing you can do on the court