Start Arrington Pleeeeease!!!

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
We seriously need to get a petition going to start J.J. and get him at least 20 carries in a game. Sure he'll take a 1 yard gain or no gain every once in a while, but he'll break a few also. The playcalling is horrendous, it's just like pass happy Mike Martz. If you abandon the run teams will stop playing you honest.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JPlay said:
We seriously need to get a petition going to start J.J. and get him at least 20 carries in a game. Sure he'll take a 1 yard gain or no gain every once in a while, but he'll break a few also. The playcalling is horrendous, it's just like pass happy Mike Martz. If you abandon the run teams will stop playing you honest.

I like Shipp and always will but I have to agree. Would love to see what type of numbers JJ would have with 20-25 touches.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't really care if he starts or not. But, I do agree he needs to get 20+ carries and see what he does with it.

It's hard to have a "breakout" game if you only get 6 carries. Does Denny think a "breakout" game will constitute 6 carries and 3 of them "to the house"? I don't get it :shrug:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
JPlay said:

Many people praise Green while others think he should be fired. Some say he recognizes talent very well. You cannot have it both ways when it comes to JJ. Some think he should start him each game and give him a lot of carries. I assume this is the group that wants Green fired not the ones that think he is great at recognizing talent. Unless he is a complete idiot you have to think he is playing and starting the guys he thinks will give us the best chance to win. So he must think Shipp is a better runner than JJ. I have no idea which is best. I am not thrilled with either one of them. Some say Shipp will be gone next year? If this is so then perhaps JJ should be getting more carries and we then can see if this guy is the real deal or just another highly hyped RB out of college. Other young RB's from last years draft are doing very well. C. Williams, Brown, Jackson and others. JJ should be gaining more yardage by this time if he is going to be a stud RB. We continue to be one of the worst if not the worst running team in the NFL. It is not all the OL fault. Some of this is certainly due to the runners lack of ability. Actually we are in the top half of passing yds in the NFL which should make it easier for our runners as the defense thinks and does stop our running with minimum number of lineman while the other defenders protect against the pass.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
Many people praise Green while others think he should be fired. Some say he recognizes talent very well. You cannot have it both ways when it comes to JJ. Some think he should start him each game and give him a lot of carries. I assume this is the group that wants Green fired not the ones that think he is great at recognizing talent. Unless he is a complete idiot you have to think he is playing and starting the guys he thinks will give us the best chance to win. So he must think Shipp is a better runner than JJ. I have no idea which is best. I am not thrilled with either one of them. Some say Shipp will be gone next year? If this is so then perhaps JJ should be getting more carries and we then can see if this guy is the real deal or just another highly hyped RB out of college. Other young RB's from last years draft are doing very well. C. Williams, Brown, Jackson and others. JJ should be gaining more yardage by this time if he is going to be a stud RB. We continue to be one of the worst if not the worst running team in the NFL. It is not all the OL fault. Some of this is certainly due to the runners lack of ability. Actually we are in the top half of passing yds in the NFL which should make it easier for our runners as the defense thinks and does stop our running with minimum number of lineman while the other defenders protect against the pass.

There was no rookie RB drafted this year named Jackson I assume you mean Steven Jackson of the Rams he's not a rookie.

Brown and Cadillac went much higher than JJ, they were supposed to be better, and clearly are. Barber is probably the only other rookie RB outplaying JJ right now. Benson was before he got hurt and too went way before JJ. So right now Barber is the only rookie RB I can think of taken after JJ and outperforming him.

I don't think Green is an idiot but yes I do think he plays guys who aren't necessarily the best guy to play. Case in point naming JJ the starter right away when at the time SHipp outplayed him. He rectified that early on starting Shipp, but has been very slow to adjust the carries now. case in point does anybody still think Step is better than Leckey?

In the last 6 games, Shipp is averaging 2.2 YPC, and that's up because he's 3.8 in each of the last 2 games. Shipp has apparently hit a wall, worn down or something likely due to the injury last year.

In that same 6 games JJ is averaging 4.7 YPC and has runs of 32, 15 and 26 yards. He's proven he can rip off a decent run. In that same span Shipp's longest run is 19 followed by 2 for 12 each. Shipp is the better power runner but he can't turn the corner like JJ can and right now the Cards simply don't block well enough to consistently run inside, we almost have to run outside and try to trick the defense with misdirection and delays, which Shipp is too slow to run.

Power back would be nice, no question. Green has pretty consistently said the problem with the run game is there are no holes. Fix the ol, get a power RB, get JJ more work the rest of this year and by all means if we luck into a Bush, DeAngelo Williams, Lendale White, take them.

Last edited:

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think there is anyway that Arrington could endure 25 carries of hits that an NFL D would put on him.

I think Green is protecting a long term investment here. Why let the guy run in there and get hammered when there is no more hope of the playoffs??

I like the Marion Barber comparison. Parcells has decided to give Barber the rock.

22 carries/ 95 yards 4.3 ypc vs. Seattle
27 carries/ 127 yards 4.7 ypc vs Us
then the bye
13/46 3.5 vs PHI
15/53 3.5 vs Det
9/28 3.1 vs Den

I think Cowboy fans are having the conversation...."why did Parcells burn out Barber??"

I like how Green is handling this.....build his confidence. No need to run him out there against the Colts, give him 27 carries and risk an injury.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I don't think there is anyway that Arrington could endure 25 carries of hits that an NFL D would put on him.

I think Green is protecting a long term investment here. Why let the guy run in there and get hammered when there is no more hope of the playoffs??

I like the Marion Barber comparison. Parcells has decided to give Barber the rock.

22 carries/ 95 yards 4.3 ypc vs. Seattle
27 carries/ 127 yards 4.7 ypc vs Us
then the bye
13/46 3.5 vs PHI
15/53 3.5 vs Det
9/28 3.1 vs Den

I think Cowboy fans are having the conversation...."why did Parcells burn out Barber??"

I like how Green is handling this.....build his confidence. No need to run him out there against the Colts, give him 27 carries and risk an injury.

I see that argument but it's a far cry from 25 carries to 6-8.

I'd like to see him get 12-15 carries Sunday against SF, more if he does well.

Let's face it if he can't handle those carries after getting nearly 300 in college last year, then the Cards need to get another RB and they need to know that.

Parcells clearly over used Jones last year, I'm not sure if he's burned out Barber or if Barber is simply finding out that Seattle and Arizona are not exactly good run defenses?

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Shipp is basicly only in there for pass protectection. I think before we run 27 times, just for the sake of running 27 times in one game, we need the blocking for it. What sence does it make to run 27 times if JJ only gets 50 yards on those carries. Right now it seams we can only run out of suprise, we just cant overpower teams and run at will.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I see that argument but it's a far cry from 25 carries to 6-8.

I'd like to see him get 12-15 carries Sunday against SF, more if he does well.

Let's face it if he can't handle those carries after getting nearly 300 in college last year, then the Cards need to get another RB and they need to know that.

Parcells clearly over used Jones last year, I'm not sure if he's burned out Barber or if Barber is simply finding out that Seattle and Arizona are not exactly good run defenses?

I think there is a good chance Arrington could have gotten 10-12 carries this week. But we played from behind all game...we only ran 16 times as a team.

This falling behind after the first drive has added to our rushing game troubles. Very troubling why we give up so many opening drive TDs.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I think there is a good chance Arrington could have gotten 10-12 carries this week. But we played from behind all game...we only ran 16 times as a team.

This falling behind after the first drive has added to our rushing game troubles. Very troubling why we give up so many opening drive TDs.
Yeah I also kind of think that. Denny has been saying "JJ is due a breakout game". Maybe were just waiting till we can stay even or have a lead for it. Shoot, were down 7 already nearly every game after only the 1st drive.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:

What's the basis for that comment? I'm really hoping it isn't his size of 5'9", 215.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:

When we're within a couple of scores, we cannot abandon the run--partucularly when there is so much game left. We need to run more. Period.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
What's the basis for that comment? I'm really hoping it isn't his size of 5'9", 215.

I base this off the fact that he had a fumbling problem early this season. A couple of big hits....a couple of fumbles. I question his toughness.....I was his biggest fan....but I now question if he can be THE GUY that can tote the ball 25-30 times.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Pariah said:
When we're within a couple of scores, we cannot abandon the run--partucularly when there is so much game left. We need to run more. Period.

Agreed. Get the ball the JJ more.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:

Not sure I believe that, it was only 10-0 at the half and JJ had only 3 carries and 2 of those came in the first quarter one more mid 2nd. After the Jags FG put them up 10 we went 17 minutes before giving JJ another carry. Then we gave him 3 in a row but one was a no play due to illegal formation and the other was the 1 yard gain before the penalty on Boldin. Note part of that was Jax having a long drive in there we didn't ahve the ball all 17 minutes.

Only after the KO return by Jax to 17-3 did we have an excuse for abandoning the run.

Of the first 10 runs by us Sunday 3 were by JJ, 6 by Shipp, 1 by Jackson.

To me that ratio is out of whack it should be more like 70% JJ 30 Shipp or 60-40.

I was actually pleasantly impressed with JJ's blitz pickup I thought he did it pretty well. Jax didn't blitz a lot but when they did he had 2 in a row where he made the block and still got out into the pattern.

I think as said in another post at this point Green believes our best chance to run is to trick people and he's using JJ a few plays to do that. But I'm not sure why he's not giving him more of the plays he's giving SHipp. That first play of the game was a perfect example Shipp got 12, JJ might have gotten 20 the hole was huge but Shipp got through it and the 2nd line of defense got a good hit on him before he could completely break it.

I guess in fairness to Green he can't know in advance when there will be a hole so he can have JJ in, but to me that's why he should be playing more in the first place.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I base this off the fact that he had a fumbling problem early this season. A couple of big hits....a couple of fumbles. I question his toughness.....I was his biggest fan....but I now question if he can be THE GUY that can tote the ball 25-30 times.

That was awhile ago though, in preseason. JJ has now had 63 NFL carries and 17 catches, 80 total touches, without a single fumble.

not saying he'll never fumble but you can't limit his carries because he fumbles when he hasn't fumbled at all. Unless he fumbles regularly in practice which I wouldn't know about of course.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:

His first NFL hit was by Roy Williams, who lit him up. He had one more fumble in the preseason, IIRC.

He hasn't had any since, and quite a few times he's been destroyed in the backfield.

Ten games, no fumbles. He's taken a lot of hits, and had 80 total touches in the regular season.

Two preseason fumbles, and nothing since doesn't exactly describe a fumbling problem, nor does it say anything about toughness.

What does say something is that he's getting stronger as the season goes along, understanding the game better and producing. Look at his monthly splits:

• Category G Att Yds Avg Lg TD 1st
    SEPTEMBER GAMES 2 13 14 1.1 12 0 1
    OCTOBER GAMES 4 20 62 3.1 32 0 3
    NOVEMBER GAMES 4 30 148 4.9 26 2 7

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan