Suns sign Tyus Jones

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns went from zero capable PGs to 2 guys who are routinely north of 3-1 Asst to TO. That's a huge win. Kudos to James Jones on this one.
Both of them good to very good 3 point shooters too.

Gotta give Ishbia credit too. Dude keeps spending. Other owner would have sat on his Morris “laurels” and called it a day… if he even called Morris in the first place.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ishbia keeps pulling rabbits outta hats.

I am now legitimately interested in this season.

Upgraded coach
Added two legit point guards
Upgraded backup center
Added two rookies, one with much needed athleticism
Retained Royce, okogie and surprisingly bol

This team now has nba depth. Maybe not overwhelming depth, but legitimate proven nba player depth.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
This is a fantastic signing for the min.

Does this move Beal to the bench?
I think it has to. There's just much better balance with Beal on the bench with one of the PGs starting. Allen probably takes the biggest hits to his minutes with this signing.

My guess with starting unit and then Bench in order of minutes:
Jones
Booker
O'Neale
KD
Nurk

Beal
Allen
Morris
Plumlee
Dunn
Oso
Bol
JO

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
We got Tyrus Thomas?!

Jones is the perfect role player/PG for this team and significantly boosts my confidence level this season. If Monte bounces back he’s probably a top-5 backup PG now. We’re also deep enough to withstand some injuries as well. Flipping Nurk at the deadline for a rim protector would be icing on the cake.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jones, Morris
Booker, Allen, Okogie, Lee
Beal, O'Neale, Dunn
Durant, Bol, Little
Nurk, Plumlee, Oso

I'd rather move Beal to the bench and start Allen for smoother rotations.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I haven't watched them enough, wonder who is the stronger defender. That might be the separator.
Morris is the better defender. If you want a quick rough gage of a players defensive ability just look at their defensive box +/-. I have found that to be a pretty good stat that matches players I have watched a bunch.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Oh wow, this is incredible! I had him at the top of my list as a pipe dream. Without looking at the stats, I am pretty sure he's had an insane assist to turnover ratio. I'd be surprised if he averaged one single turnover per game, and if he did, it wasn't much more. He takes care of the ball, makes the right pass, can run pick and roll just fine. On top of that, while not a great shooter, he is not bad enough that teams can leave him open. He is somewhat limited on defense and finishing at the rim because of his size and athleticism, but he is not a terrible defender, and he doesn't take bad shots. He knows who and what he is, he sticks to that, and plays his role to perfection. If he is an actual starter, he will have a career year next season.

I was hoping for a solid backup point guard, but Jones is a legitimate starting point guard in this league. I view him kind of like Ricky Rubio. Yeah he is a better shooter, not as good of a passer, but more controlled, resulting in fewer turnovers. It's not a direct comparison, but more of the "Similar level" type of thing- solid starting point guard, but not a top-ten point guard.

I am actually excited about next season now. They've now added a legitimate starter-level point guard, another point guard who is not far off from being a starter-level point guard, they improved the backup Center position, they brought Allen, Royce and Bol back, and lost next to nothing (Gordon and Eubanks). They also added some defense and athleticism in the draft. This is now a scary team.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought we'd have to do a sign and trade giving up our 2031 pick and Little to get Jones. We probably gave him the Udonis Haslem handshake deal. We'll pay you the minimum until you're 45 if you sign with us.