Reaction score
Divac calls Kings 'first option'

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Vlade Divac Kings
Kings
?
Jun. 4 - Vlade Divac may be a free agent, but he's still a King at heart. "The Kings are my first option," said Divac in the Sacramento Bee. "I feel like a King. I came here six years ago because I believe in Geoff (Petrie) and the things we can do. It would have to be perfect situation for me to leave."
Recently, Divac has considered teams like the Clippers and Lakers (where he started his career) and even retirement. But with the Kings' future in flux, he seems to want to stick around and see it through. "I think we have the best team in the league," he said. "It just has to click together. What really ticks me off is that I saw great talent, I saw opportunity, and we didn't capitalize. I don't know why it happened."

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Al Harrington Pacers
Pacers
Bulls
Jun. 4 - Al Harrington may be the odd man out of the Pacers' small forward rotation. "This is an unbalanced roster," coach Rick Carlisle said in the Indianapolis Star. "There are a glut of guys at the small forward spot, and there haven't been enough minutes. I don't think this team will be back in our exact form next year. I just think there will be some changes, through free agency, the draft or trades. There's going to be some things that are different, without question."
Harrington believes he should be starting. Carlisle believes he should be starting. The problem is that there can be only one starting small forward on the team and the Pacers already have Ron Artest. "This has been a tough situation for Al," Carlisle said. "I view him as a starter in this league. As the summer progresses we'll see what takes form. If there was the opportunity for him to be a starter here, that would be great. If there isn't, it may be time for him to move on to another team."
The Bulls are interested in Harrington, according to the Chicago Sun-Times, but likely won't be willing to trade the No. 3 pick in the draft for him.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Gary Payton Lakers
?
Jun. 4 - Rather than change his address and head coach for a second time in two seasons, Gary Payton may, instead, change his mind and his own style of play to stay with the Lakers.
"Let me work at standstill jumpshots if that's what it's going to be," Payton said in the Orange County Register. "In the summer, if that's what I want to do, I'd work on that."
It has been reported in the past that Payton was unhappy with the current Laker situation and would opt out of his contract at the conclusion of the season. He has since softened his stance and linked his stay to Karl Malone. But this is the first sign that he would go to such an extreme to remain in L.A.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Eddy Curry Bulls
Mavs
Sonics
Blazers
May. 28 - According to the Chicago Tribune, both the Grizzlies and SuperSonics have contacted the Bulls about Curry, as both look for a low-post presence to contend in the big-man dominated West. The paper suggests the Grizzlies could offer Pau Gasol and Shane Battier for Curry, Chicago's first-round pick (No. 3 overall) and one of the Bulls' bad contracts.
Or, the paper proposes, Seattle could offer Ray Allen and the No. 12 pick in the draft for Curry, the No. 3 pick and a bad contract of someone like Jerome Williams or Antonio Davis.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Latrell Sprewell Timberwolves
Wolves
Spurs
Jun. 3 - There's speculation that the Spurs will make another run at Sprewell after losing out to the Wolves last year. Sprewell can become a free agent next month because of an opt out clause in his contract, but Wolves owner Glen Taylor is confident Spree will be staying in Minnesota.
"He's our player right now, so he is assured of $14.6 million," Taylor said in the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "I wouldn't think that he would want to play on a team unless it was a winning team. I think that cuts it down pretty much."
Fred Hoiberg and Trenton Hassell can also leave the team for similar reasons, but seem to be staying out of team camaraderie. However, point guard Troy Hudson, who made only $2.7 million this year, is leaning toward testing the market.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Kurt Thomas Knicks
?
Jun. 3 - Knicks head coach Lenny Wilkins mentioned the need for a stronger, bigger power forward, which immediately started speculation that the Knicks might use veteran Kurt Thomas as trade bait despite the fact that he had just signed a four-year extension worth about $30 million. The New York Daily News reports that any deal would have to include a 20 percent trade kicker that might scare off any potential suitors for Thomas. Besides, he is already the team's leading rebounder, second in blocked shots and, "I think everybody saw I could play with the injury," he said. "I don't think that will be a factor or anything."

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Scottie Pippen Bulls
?
Jun. 2 - Though Pippen has said he probably will retire, the Arlington Heights Daily Herald reports Bulls GM John Paxson could use Pippen's contract to help balance a trade involving the No. 3 pick in this year's draft.
"To get deals done, you need salaries to match up," Paxson told the paper. "We'll have to use whatever means we have to make a deal. I can't rule out anything or rule in anything."
Pippen has one year left on his contract at $5.4 million.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Marcus Camby Nuggets
Nuggets
Jun. 2 - Camby's agent told the Rocky Mountain News he hasn't yet reached a deal to keep Camby in Denver, but that would be the veteran's preference. "I know what (the Nuggets) are thinking. They know what we're thinking, but I can't say there's a specific deal," agent Rick Kaplan told the paper.
Monday, ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported the framework of a new contract essentially was in place and would be formalized in July. Camby can opt out of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent this month, and he reportedly is looking for some security since next season's $7.75 million salary is not guaranteed. He is said to be seeking about $60 million over six years.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Ray Allen Sonics
Nets?
Jun. 2 - According to the N.Y. Post, the Nets have contacted the Sonics about a deal for Allen, entering the final year of his contract at $14.625 million, that would send Kerry Kittles and a combination of other players to Seattle. Kittles is scheduled to make $10.2 million next season and is likely to be left unprotected in the expansion draft.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Antoine Walker Mavericks
?
Jun. 2 - The Dallas Morning News reports that if the Mavericks retain Walker for next season, he likely will be relegated to a reserve role. If that's the case, the paper suggests, he might be more open to a trade or to opt out of the final year of his contract, worth $14.5 million.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Troy Hudson Timberwolves
?
Jun. 2 - Troy Hudson is due to make $2.1 million next year unless, of course, he opts out of his contract as expected and takes his chances on the open market. Hudson averaged a career-high 14.2 points per game last season, but was limited to only 29 games this year due to an injured right ankle. The St. Paul Pioneer reports that the Timberwolves would like to keep the point guard but are limited because of already being over the luxury-tax threshold.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Steve Nash Mavericks
Mavericks
Nuggets
Suns
Jun. 1 - Nash is among the free agents Denver will be pursuing, reports ESPN.com's Marc Stein, but the team with the best (albeit slim) chance of wooing Nash away from virtual blood brothers Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley is Phoenix.
Nash never sold the house he bought as a Phoenix youngster -- his family still uses it -- and the early word is the Suns will make Nash their No. 1 free-agent target, not Kobe Bryant, since they see actually landing Bryant as a long-shot fantasy.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Kobe Bryant Lakers
Lakers
Suns
Clippers
Spurs
Jun. 1 - Depending on who you believe, Kobe Bryant plans to opt out of his current contract in order to A) secure a longer tenure with the Lakers, or B) because he can't wait to leave the organization. New York Post columnist Peter Vecsey writes it's the latter and quotes an unnamed source close to the superstar to that effect.
The Arizona Republic, meanwhile, reports that while the Suns would love to land Bryant, they know the risk involved in pursuing him while disregarding other more realistic options. That's why they also have been mentioned in rumors concerning the acquisition of Tracy McGrady or Manu Ginobili, possibly using Shawn Marion and their No. 7 lottery pick to facilitate a deal.
If you subscribe to the theory that Kobe simply wants a better deal in L.A., the Chicago Tribune's Sam Smith proposes a plan that has the Lakers keeping Kobe, shipping out Shaquille O'Neal and preparing to make a run at Yao Ming when he becomes a free agent in 2006, when Bryant will be 28 -- the same age Michael Jordan began his string of NBA titles.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Tracy McGrady Magic
Magic
?
May. 28 - McGrady says he's 90 percent sure what he wants to do, but he has yet to tell his current team what that is. "The dilemma for the franchise is, 'Do you want to try and win now or wait two or three years for a guy to develop?' " McGrady told Florida Today, not swayed at all by the team's upcoming No. 1 pick.
"I'm just saying, I'm not trying to wait that long to win. I was in that situation last year, and I just can't see going another couple of years losing and waiting on players to develop. I just don't think I can do that. I just think that it would be best to go get a guy ready to fill a role and contribute right away."
But in the same breath, he states: "I love Orlando, because it's home, and I love the fans. They have been great to me. I don't want to leave, and I'm sure a lot of them don't want me to leave, either. But if we can't change the team this summer, I just think the best thing would be for me to move on."
McGrady mentioned the Spurs and Lakers as places he'd like to go if he does decide to leave Orlando.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Rasheed Wallace Pistons
Pistons
Knicks
May. 28 - Who knows what free-agent-to-be Rasheed Wallace is thinking on a day-to-day basis, but at least, for now, he's got the Detroit Pistons on his mind. "That's definitely a strong possibility," Wallace told the Detroit News about re-signing with the Pistons. "I definitely like it. They're a good bunch of guys."
New York was originally thought to be his destination of choice, but his time spent alongside Ben Wallace in a championship race may have changed that. "They complement each other," teammate Richard Hamilton said. "They know where each other is at all times of the game."

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Mehmet Okur Pistons
Pistons
Mavericks
Suns
Nuggets
Jazz
May. 28 - The Detroit Free Press is reporting Okur may command as much as $8.5 million in free agency. "I'm excited about my future," Okur told the paper. "I'm not nervous about what might happen this summer. I know that if we do well and keep playing that people will pay attention. Everything will be OK."
At that price, though, the Pistons might have to decide if they want to focus on the immediate future with Rasheed Wallace or look down the road with Okur. It has become apparent that they cannot sign both.
"I'm happy here," Okur said. "This is where I started. My friends are here. I'm happy with coaches and my teammates. I have a good time with them. It's a lot of fun. I don't want to talk about (free agency) because we're doing well, and that's what's important right now."
If the Pistons cannot re-sign Okur, the second-year PF/C from Turkey will have plenty of suitors. The Deseret News of Utah indicates the Mavericks and Knicks have joined a list that already included the Suns, Nuggets and Jazz.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Greg Ostertag Jazz
Jazz
Mavericks
May. 27 - Utah may have been his first and only NBA gig so far, but home has always been Texas for center Greg Ostertag. And when he becomes a free agent on July 1, he has no reservations of returning. "I'm hoping they'll bring me in to talk about it at the appropriate time," Ostertag said in the Dallas Morning News. "I'm not a scorer and they don't need a scorer. They need a rebounder and shot-blocker, which I can be. I'm going to look at all my options. But it would be my ultimate dream to play in Dallas."
The paper goes on to note that the Mavs could split their mid-level exception between Ostertag and Marquis Daniels, spend their $1.6 million minimum exception on him or negotiate a sign and trade with the Jazz. But even if Ostertag stays in Utah, he is expected to take a big cut from the $8.6 million he made last season with the Jazz.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Tyson Chandler Bulls
?
May. 26 - Chandler told the Chicago Tribune he hopes the Bulls land one of the top picks in the draft, even if it means the team could selecti a player like Emeka Okafor and make it more likely Chandler could be traded.
"I hope we get the No. 1 pick," Chandler told the paper. "That means our team is better. Drafting Okafor wouldn't bother me. They can pick whomever they want, trade for whomever they want. My job is to be the best player I can be coming into camp and work as hard as I can this summer. If the franchise feels trading me is better for them, that's fine. I just want the Bulls to get better. I prefer to be here, though. This is my home. And nobody is going to run me out of my home."

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Brent Barry Sonics
Sonics
Nets
Nuggets
Cavs
Warriors
May. 25 - Expect the Nets, Nuggets, Cavs and Warriors to make runs at Barry in free agency, according to the New York Daily News. The paper indicates Barry will be seeking the mid-level exception of $5 million per year over three to four years. However, the Seattle Times cites sources who say Barry has turned down a three-year, $18 million deal to re-sign with the Sonics and is seeking a four-year contract. The Times indicates the Sonics still hope to re-sign him.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY
Leon Smith

Sonics?
May. 26 - Smith told the Chicago Tribune he's participating in the Bulls' free-agent tryout camp this week only because another player dropped out, and his agent indicated to Insider that the 6-foot-10 Smith is committed to returning to Seattle, where he played on a 10-day contract last season and appeared in one game.
Earlier reports out of Chicago suggested the Bulls were looking at Smith, who led the Continental Basketball Assoctiation in rebounding last season.
Smith, 23, was drafted in the first round draft by San Antonio in 1999 and promptly traded to Dallas. But personal and legal issues led to his release, and he was out of the league until joining Atlanta for 14 games in the 2001-02 season.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Gordan Giricek Jazz
Blazers?
Nets?
May. 25 - Published reports indicate the Trail Blazers have Giricek on the list of shooting guards they hope to pursue this summer, and the Nets could come after him, as well. But according to the Deseret News, Giricek will give the Jazz every opportunity to retain his services. "They (the Jazz) will be in front of anybody," Giricek said.

WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Shawn Bradley Mavericks
Jazz?
May. 25 - A report that the Mavericks and Jazz were considering swapping centers has been shot down almost as quickly as it cropped up. A Dallas radio station apparently first floated the idea of a Bradley-for-Greg Ostertag deal, and the Memphis Commercial-Appeal subsequently picked it up.
However, the Deseret News reports there "is no substance whatsoever" to the report. The proposal as floated had the Jazz re-signing Ostertag, an unrestricted free agent, then trading him to Dallas for Bradley, who has three years left on his contract.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
"WHO
INTERESTED
THE SKINNY

Kobe Bryant Lakers
Lakers
Suns
Clippers
Spurs
Jun. 1 - Depending on who you believe, Kobe Bryant plans to opt out of his current contract in order to A) secure a longer tenure with the Lakers, or B) because he can't wait to leave the organization. New York Post columnist Peter Vecsey writes it's the latter and quotes an unnamed source close to the superstar to that effect.
The Arizona Republic, meanwhile, reports that while the Suns would love to land Bryant, they know the risk involved in pursuing him while disregarding other more realistic options. That's why they also have been mentioned in rumors concerning the acquisition of Tracy McGrady or Manu Ginobili, possibly using Shawn Marion and their No. 7 lottery pick to facilitate a deal.
If you subscribe to the theory that Kobe simply wants a better deal in L.A., the Chicago Tribune's Sam Smith proposes a plan that has the Lakers keeping Kobe, shipping out Shaquille O'Neal and preparing to make a run at Yao Ming when he becomes a free agent in 2006, when Bryant will be 28 -- the same age Michael Jordan began his string of NBA titles."

If the Lakers are going to ship Shaq out, I would be interested. He may only have a few good years left in the tank, but those could be NBA Championship years. I would take the risk if I was Phoenix. Amare and Shaq on your frontline? Holy Moly! That's POWER! :hulk:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
We wouldn't be able to swing a deal for Shaq without including Amare.

Shaq makes $30 million. How could any team work out a deal for him.

A team wanting to trade for Shaq would have to believe that they had a legit chance to win it all after the trade. Shaq may play for several more years but like Kareem and Wilt his level of play will not continue to be dominant indefenitely.

What team could give up equal value for Shaq, meaning both dollars and ability and still put a legit contending team on the floor? :shrug:

Now if the Lakers just want to get rid of his salary maybe the Suns could send MArion, JJ a pick and eat the rest of Shaq's contract with their cap room. Would that make the Suns a contender?

Probably not.

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not hard for high salary teams to trade for Shaq. The problem is that they can't do deals that make any kind of sense. Would you really want Alan Houston and Penny Hardaway?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have trouble seeing Shaquille O'Neal ever traded. I think it's more likely that the Lakers would tell Kobe Bryant that they are going to let Shaq walk in two years and use some of that salary cap to sign free agents who fit with Bryant.

Joe Mama

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Just for kicks and grins I went to the realgm trade checker to see what the Lakers could get for shaq:

L.A. Lakers trades: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)
L.A. Lakers receives: PG Steve Francis (16.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 6.2 apg in 40.4 minutes)
C Kelvin Cato (6.1 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 1.0 apg in 25.3 minutes)
SG Cuttino Mobley (15.8 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 3.2 apg in 40.4 minutes)
C Yao Ming (17.4 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 32.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +34.4 ppg, +14.3 rpg, and +9.0 apg.

Houston trades: PG Steve Francis (16.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 6.2 apg in 40.4 minutes)
Houston receives: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 67 games)

Lakers improve by 35, 14 and 9. Almost a triple double. A Francis/Kobe backcourt probably woudn't work, but the trade is interesting.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
Just for kicks and grins I went to the realgm trade checker to see what the Lakers could get for shaq:

L.A. Lakers trades: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 36.8 minutes)
L.A. Lakers receives: PG Steve Francis (16.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 6.2 apg in 40.4 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +34.4 ppg, +14.3 rpg, and +9.0 apg.

Houston trades: PG Steve Francis (16.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 6.2 apg in 40.4 minutes)
Houston receives: C Shaquille O'Neal (21.5 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 2.9 apg in 67 games)

Lakers improve by 35, 14 and 9. Almost a triple double. A Francis/Kobe backcourt probably woudn't work, but the trade is interesting.

The fact that it takes four starters to match Shaq's salary gives some idea as to why no one can really do it. I'm not sure that Shaq and Jimmy Jackson are enough to get it done. :shrug:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22