Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Burton & Depp to Reteam for Sweeney Todd?
Source: MovieMusicals.net
January 7, 2006

MovieMusicals.net is reporting that director Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, who have teamed up five times already and most recently for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Tim Burton's Corpse Bride, will reunite once again for the adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's musical Sweeney Todd.

This would be the second time Burton will try to get the film made - his previous incarnation at Warner Bros. fell apart years ago. Since then, Jarhead director Sam Mendes has had talks to make the movie as well.

The site says that Depp will play the title character Sweeney Todd, the demon barber or Fleet Street. Here is the official description:

The legendary barber, hell-bent on revenge, takes up with his enterprising neighbor in a delicious plot to slice their way through London's upper crust. Justice will be served - along with lush melody, audacious humor and bloody good thrills.

The musical premiered in 1979, when it won eight Tony Awards including Best Musical. The show is currently on Broadway in its second revival. You can learn more about the musical at the official website.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to this - Burton/Depp/Bonham Carter are a great team.

And Alan Rickman as a bonus!!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I saw all I needed to see of this in Jersey Girl. Right?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Release Date: December 21, 2007
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Director: Tim Burton
Screenwriter: John Logan
Genre: Musical, Thriller
MPAA Rating: R (for graphic bloody violence)

Starring: Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall, Jamie Campbell Bower, Jayne Wisener, Sacha Baron Cohen

Plot Summary: Johnny Depp and Tim Burton join forces again in a big-screen adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's award-winning musical thriller "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street." Depp stars in the title role as a man unjustly sent to prison who vows revenge, not only for that cruel punishment, but for the devastating consequences of what happened to his wife and daughter. When he returns to reopen his barber shop, Sweeney Todd becomes the Demon Barber of Fleet Street who "shaved the heads of gentlemen who never thereafter were heard from again." Joining Depp is Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney's amorous accomplice, who creates diabolical meat pies. The cast also includes Alan Rickman, who portrays the evil Judge Turpin, who sends Sweeney to prison and Timothy Spall as the Judge's wicked associate Beadle Bamford and Sacha Baron Cohen is a rival barber, the flamboyant Signor Adolfo Pirelli.

You must be registered for see images

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this on Broadway. Good play. Hope the movie is good.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll see anything Depp is in, and I'll do it twice on Tuesdays. :) If I can drag DCR, I'll let you know.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I hate Tim Burton(what he did to a classic like Planet of the Apes is unforgivable)...and only can barely tolerate Depp(Pirates of the Caribbean was fun but campy). Not on my list of films to see thats for sure...not much appeal to me.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate Tim Burton(what he did to a classic like Planet of the Apes is unforgivable)...and only can barely tolerate Depp(Pirates of the Caribbean was fun but campy). Not on my list of films to see thats for sure...not much appeal to me.

I don't think I've ever heard any such thing in my ever life!!

Wow.

I happen to think Depp is one of the best actors of our generation. And Burton is incredibly creative.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I happen to think Depp is one of the best actors of our generation. And Burton is incredibly creative.

Some people don't like Depp because he refuses to do anything conventional, and sometimes jumps off the deep end. I'm not sure what they want him to do. Go back to Jump Street, I guess.

Burton is one of those guys you're either going to love or hate.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard any such thing in my ever life!!

Wow.

Its probably just me with Depp, he just doesn't appeal to me as an actor. Its probably due to all his collaboration with Burton. I don't refuse to watch his movies as I was entertained by the Pirates movies.

I really can't stand Tim Burton and the Planet of Apes fiasco just sealed it for me. That movie deserved a public apology to those of us that grew up watching the original movies.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Its probably just me with Depp, he just doesn't appeal to me as an actor. Its probably due to all his collaboration with Burton. I don't refuse to watch his movies as I was entertained by the Pirates movies.

I really can't stand Tim Burton and the Planet of Apes fiasco just sealed it for me. That movie deserved a public apology to those of us that grew up watching the original movies.

But "A Nightmare before Christmas" is one of the best movies of all time.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people don't like Depp because he refuses to do anything conventional, and sometimes jumps off the deep end. I'm not sure what they want him to do. Go back to Jump Street, I guess.

Burton is one of those guys you're either going to love or hate.

Depp is one of the greatest actors of our time. Sometimes I don't exactly like the roles he chooses but he definitely take on challenging roles that most actors shy away from.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overall, I didn't like this movie very much.

The good news is that Depp and Bonham-Carter were excellent. The visuals were also very good, as was the music itself.

The bad news is that the sound was poor, the singing with thick British accents was often incomprehensible and the gore was way over the top (and I am in no way squeamish).

Too bad.... This might have been a decent movie straight up (non-musical), but as presented, I most certainly would NOT recommend it. Catch it on DVD if you insist on seeing it.

:thumbdown:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Wow...I got suckered into watching this movie. Awful..downright awful

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie flat out sucked!