Teams can lose draft picks in new policy

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
NFL beefs up punishments to crack down on players' off-field malfeasance
More on NFL

Updated: 19 minutes ago from MSNBC News
NEW YORK - NFL teams will be disciplined when their employees, including players, violate the league’s personal conduct policy.

Moments after announcing the one-year suspension of Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones, and an eight-game ban for Cincinnati Bengals receiver Chris Henry, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell released his strengthened conduct policy Tuesday. Along with longer suspensions and larger fines for individuals who violate the policy, Goodell will hold teams responsible, as well.

He did not say how he would punish those teams, although stripping them of draft choices is considered one of the most effective ways to do so.

“It is important that the NFL be represented consistently by outstanding people as well as great football players, coaches, and staff,” Goodell said. “We hold ourselves to higher standards of responsible conduct because of what it means to be part of the National Football League. We have long had policies and programs designed to encourage responsible behavior, and this policy is a further step in ensuring that everyone who is part of the NFL meets that standard. We will continue to review the policy and modify it as warranted.”

The strengthened standards apply to all NFL employees: players, coaches, officials, owners, front-office and league personnel. And Goodell emphasized in the new policy that those standards will be considerably tighter than outside the league.

“It is not enough to simply avoid being found guilty of a crime,” the new policy says. “Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the league is based, and is lawful.

“Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime.”

The new policy comes in the wake of a series of off-field issues involving several players, notably Jones, Henry and Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tank Johnson.

There were 10 occasions in which Jones was interviewed by police, the most recent during the NBA All-Star weekend in Las Vegas. Police there recommended felony and misdemeanor charges against Jones after a fight and shooting at a strip club left one man paralyzed.

Henry was arrested four times in a 14-month span, and received a two-game league suspension last year. He was one of nine Bengals arrested in nine months. Johnson currently is in jail, serving four months for violating probation in a 2005 gun case.

Two of Henry’s teammates, along with NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw, recognized the need for stronger league guidelines for player conduct.

“You would think it’s necessary just because of the negative publicity the NFL is beginning to receive because of what’s happening,” said Bengals receiver T. J. Houshmandzadeh. “It was going on for an extended period of time. Each day, each week, something was happening.”

Slide show: The Week in Sports Pictures

• Week in Sports Pictures
Dazzling debut by Dice-K, tough times for Tiger, national pastime takes a weather beating, and more.

Added Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer: “I think it will (help). With all of the things that have been happening recently, I think it will be good and hopefully give the league a little better image. I hope that it works and that guys abide by the rules and do what’s right.”

So does Upshaw, of course. He consulted with Goodell before the commissioner, now in his seventh month on the job, revised the conduct policy. Goodell also established a panel of players to offer advice on such matters.

“The NFL Players Association and the Player Advisory Council have been discussing this issue for several months,” Upshaw said. “We believe that these are steps that the commissioner needs to take and we support the policy. It is important that players in violation of the policy will have the opportunity and the support to change their conduct and earn their way back.”

Tony Dungy said placing responsibility on the teams for their players and employees makes sense, even if it results in penalties that affect more than the wallet.

“That seems to be the thing that gets everyone’s attention,” the coach of the Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts said of potentially lost draft picks and player availability. “We talked about fines at the league meetings, and that may not do the trick. But when you start talking about playing time and draft picks, that seems to get your attention.”

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“It is not enough to simply avoid being found guilty of a crime,” the new policy says. “Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the league is based, and is lawful.”

Yeah, that will fly....... Punish players that may be innocent. (depending on the circumstance)

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that will fly....... Punish players that may be innocent. (depending on the circumstance)

When it happens only once, you might have a reason to believe innocence, but after 10 times, it's obvious where the problem is.

OP
OP
RonF

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
I think the biggest problem teams will have is to deal with players who have little or no common sense. They haven’t broken any law but they like to bend things and see how far they can push things.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is bogus, and the teams should not lose draft picks. The quandry facing Cincy last year is that they did not and still do not have the power to discipline the offending players properly. That rests with the NFL.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it happens only once, you might have a reason to believe innocence, but after 10 times, it's obvious where the problem is.

I don't get it............ the team?

If you are referring to Pacman, it is obvious that the problem is with him, and him alone. How can you take a pick from the Titans because of Pacman's behavior?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you are referring to Pacman, it is obvious that the problem is with him, and him alone. How can you take a pick from the Titans because of Pacman's behavior?

Sorry dcr. I misread your post. I was thinking you meant Pacman.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
I would think that the team would be in jeaopardy of punishment when they fail to educate players on the conduct policy and fail to act when a player violates it. When the NCAA decides on imposing sanctions, it considers the role of the school and the actions they took to deal with it. I, for one am glad that they are playing hardball with it. It was becoming a distraction from the game, yet I feel it was a by-product of the game and all of the T.O. like behavior on and off of the field. It's long been held that players feel they are above the rules. What is a $10,000 fine when you are scheduled to earn $10 million? Can it lead to guilt by association? Yes. The way to avoid that is to not associate with an undesirable element. Stay out of the strip clubs, stop running with a crimnal element, if you feel the need to carry a gun do it legally, if you want to go out for drinks arrange transportation and don't do drugs. We always hear about the circumstances a player was brought up in, well the NFL is the opportunity to get away from it, not to bring it into the league with you. I have no sympathy for people who have the opportunity of a lifetime and crap all over it. You make your choices and live with them like the rest of us have to. I just hope they don't back off of the punishments and take the teeth out of them.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because the Titans coddled Jones, and refused to get tough with him. He was babied in Nashville.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree how about if the NFL doesn't coddle the players, they league itself ships 1 million to United Way or some other charity.

I agree some teams might still sign shady players, but if the league is serious with these issues, the fact that they can't play because of suspension should prove detrimental enough for the team. In my book that leaves the NFL at quasi-fault for allowing so many infractions to occur.

Now if this does happen, what sort of picks? 7th round, 6th round? Taking away supplemental picks if it happens?

Teams follow the NFL league heads, it seems almost like they want to pass the buck. The penalties may seem stiff, but it looks like the commish wants teams to take the onus, and not him. This is his way of saying, I'll deal with this one, anything further is on you.

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
What this means is that character issues will affect draft position a lot more, because teams have to consider not just loss of the player, but more general pain. A new profession will emerge--wet-nurse for spoiled brat players; a search will start for the '6-Day Downer' pill; the day may come when we regret the Leinart draft, not for any Is he may throw, but for his reprehensible association with Paris Hilton.:D

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because the Titans coddled Jones, and refused to get tough with him. He was babied in Nashville.

The NFL mandates how teams can punish their players.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
This will give a whole new meaning to the Detroit coaches when they're told to "keep your pants on".

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NFL mandates how teams can punish their players.

For major suspensions, etc. But the teams have a LOT of latitude when it comes to LOCKER ROOM discipline, etc. The Titans could have taken a much tougher stance with Jones on a variety of things, but they took the easy route every time.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
If a player has personal issues don't draft them! Stay away or your team may
suffer. I like it.