Tejada demands trade from Orioles

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Baltimore Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada said Thursday he's unhappy with the team's direction and wants to be traded.

"I've been with the Orioles for two years and things haven't gone in the direction that we were expecting, so I think the best thing will be a change of scenery," Tejada told The Associated Press during a telephone interview in his native Dominican Republic.

Tejada signed a $72 million, six-year contract with the Orioles before the 2004 season.

He hit .304 with 26 home runs and 98 RBI this year, but Baltimore finished 21 games behind the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox in the AL East.

"I've done many things with this team and I haven't seen results, and the other teams are getting stronger while the Orioles have not made any signings to strengthen the club," Tejada said.

Boston traded shortstop Edgar Renteria to the Atlanta Braves on Thursday for third base prospect Andy Marte.

Tejada came to Baltimore after playing seven years with the Oakland Athletics.

Credit

Call me nuts, but I'd bet money he goes to the Cubs.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why not Vasquez and Glaus or Green for Tejada?

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
To be honest, we don't need Tejada. We have Drew coming up within the next year. Sure he would be awesome to have on our opening day roster, but a year from now we would be trying to find a way to get rid of his bloated contract. I know some of you would argue that we could put him at 2nd, but I really think all of this would be a pipe dream.

So what teams do you think will be in play for him? We can rule out the AL East because I know the Orioles would never trade him to one of those teams.

Call me crazy, but I could honestly see the Mets making that call. It seems they have more money than they know what to do with right now.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
To be honest, we don't need Tejada. We have Drew coming up within the next year. Sure he would be awesome to have on our opening day roster, but a year from now we would be trying to find a way to get rid of his bloated contract. I know some of you would argue that we could put him at 2nd, but I really think all of this would be a pipe dream.

So what teams do you think will be in play for him? We can rule out the AL East because I know the Orioles would never trade him to one of those teams.

Call me crazy, but I could honestly see the Mets making that call. It seems they have more money than they know what to do with right now.

You're crazy. Tejada is one of the top players in the league. Drew has not even played a game in triple A. If they can get Tejada I hope they seriously pursue him.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
You're crazy. Tejada is one of the top players in the league. Drew has not even played a game in triple A. If they can get Tejada I hope they seriously pursue him.

Have you seen his contract? He's owed 4 years at $56 million. Don't get me wrong I think he's a terrific player and if we were able to get rid of him at the price of Glaus and Vasquez then I wouldn't be completely against it. But why would you go persue a guy of his caliber (and contract) when you have one of the top prospects in the country coming up at the same position within the next year? It goes against what this organization is trying to do, not to mention we have other needs to address first.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I can see it now....Zambrono and a top prospect (Pie?) for Tejada....

OR

Now that i think about it the Red Sox have a hole at shortstop now and can afford him....That allows them to get rid of Manny too.....Damn....more it hink about that for the Sox, the more i like it....

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
Have you seen his contract? He's owed 4 years at $56 million. Don't get me wrong I think he's a terrific player and if we were able to get rid of him at the price of Glaus and Vasquez then I wouldn't be completely against it. But why would you go persue a guy of his caliber (and contract) when you have one of the top prospects in the country coming up at the same position within the next year? It goes against what this organization is trying to do, not to mention we have other needs to address first.

Getting rid of Glaus and Javy's contract will help alleviate some of his contract.

I have never read where Drew is ranked as one of the best prospects in the country. Drew will be in Tucson next year and could be called up later in the year. He is not proven while Tejada is one of the best.

For all this talk I doubt Tejada will ever be a Diamondback, but if they could get him I hope they seriously try.

FinleyLover

Veteran
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:

You're exactly right, he would be nice, but we don't need him for more than one year. I really hope that we don't make any boneheaded bloated multi-year deals at this point. Everything we do (with the exception of starting pitchers) should be stop gap at best. Give the kids time to be ready ( year or two for most) and then the Dbacks will once again be an exciting team full of promise!!! :fans: :cheers:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Zambrano has much more value than Tejada.

Intersting point and maybe isolated of themselves.....BUT its about what your percieved strengths and weaknesses are...

The pitching rich Cubs may be much more likely to give up a Zambrono if it means getting back a bonfide MVP candidate year to year who fills a position they have been trying to fill since Ernie banks....

Especially when they have the payroll and more importantly the motivation to do so with the White Sox and Red Sox making the Cubs look so bad the last couple years...

Look at this lineup:
Pierre
2nd Basemen to be named later
Tejada
Lee
Ramirez

:eek: Yikes....

Plus they still have Prior, Wood, and can move Dempster back into the rotation...

However i would be alot more sold on this if they had not recently traded Mitre in the Pierre deal....similar comparison howver with Carlos being an upgrade over Mitre and Tejada being an upgrade over Pierre

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
I can see it now....Zambrono and a top prospect (Pie?) for Tejada....

OR

Now that i think about it the Red Sox have a hole at shortstop now and can afford him....That allows them to get rid of Manny too.....Damn....more it hink about that for the Sox, the more i like it....

Tejada for Manny.....

HooverDam

Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
But why would you go persue a guy of his caliber (and contract) when you have one of the top prospects in the country coming up at the same position within the next year?

Ill take a known factor versus an unknown any day of the week. Drew may struggle in Tucson, never make it to the majors, be mentally unprepared for big league ball, get hurt, etc etc etc. It never hurts to have too many good players, you can always jostle positions and make trades if Drew does end up being the second coming.

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
Ill take a known factor versus an unknown any day of the week. Drew may struggle in Tucson, never make it to the majors, be mentally unprepared for big league ball, get hurt, etc etc etc. It never hurts to have too many good players, you can always jostle positions and make trades if Drew does end up being the second coming.

I agree. I hate banking on all the young "saviors" of our team. It is nice to dream of the future, but i agree it is not hard to trade a proven veteran to bring up a stud rookie...aka Overbay deal as opposed to having a mediocre player on the roster at that position just to kill time before we bring up a player. I mean lets not go out and spend 40 mil when its not neccessary, but Drew isnt up to the majors yet is he?

Billexium

Reaction score
I wonder if Baltimore will pursue Vazquez more intensely now that they have to prove to Tejeda they are "winners". They have quite a bit of young quality pitchers. Maybe they'd be willing to sacrifice one to pursue a win now philosophy.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This is my sentiment as well......and then Jayson Stark wrote an article saying as much (although he didnt mention the Dbacks particularly)....

Im not sure what kind of outfield prospects would be included but i would expect Erik Bedard to be the centerpiece

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan