Terry McDonough lands with Cardinals

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Terry McDonough lands with Cardinals

Fired last week by the Jaguars, Terry McDonough has landed in Arizona.

Kent Somers of AZCentral.com reports that the former Jacksonville director of player personnel has joined the Cardinals in an unspecific personnel role.

McDonough, the son of the late Will McDonough, spent a total of 10 years with the Jaguars. Terry’s brother, Ryan McDonough, recently became the General Manager of the Phoenix Suns.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jaguars? Great hire :rolleyes:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if McDonough doesn't end up developing, (and overseeing), an in-house program designed to keep potential wayward players on the straight and narrow. I know the league has set up pre-camp sessions for newbies to attend. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Michael, Keim, and BA haven't decided to go one step farther, and provide a full-time (staff) to help develop solid, fundamentals in good citizenship and professional behavior. This might be a way to protect their investments in personnel who might be tempted to waste their opportunity with the Cardinals, and let the lifestyle and big money influence young players in a negative way. It would seem to me to be a very good investment for the franchise to develop sort of an in-house interdiction group or plan.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if McDonough doesn't end up developing, (and overseeing), an in-house program designed to keep potential wayward players on the straight and narrow. I know the league has set up pre-camp sessions for newbies to attend. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Michael, Keim, and BA haven't decided to go one step farther, and provide a full-time (staff) to help develop solid, fundamentals in good citizenship and professional behavior. This might be a way to protect their investments in personnel who might be tempted to waste their opportunity with the Cardinals, and let the lifestyle and big money influence young players in a negative way. It would seem to me to be a very good investment for the franchise to develop sort of an in-house interdiction group or plan.

That is a brilliant insight, Catfish. Even Tyrann Mathieu said today that the Cardinals have told him that they are providing him with a full-fledged support system. Man, this organization, is smelling the coffee something fierce.

And while I am at it---just one more thing I've been meaning to say---I did more film study of players in this draft than any other draft---and prior to the draft I had watched a good deal of tape on G Jonathan Cooper, LB Kevin Minter, CB/S Tyrann Mathieu, DE/OLB Alec Okafor, G Earl Watford, RB Stepfan Taylor, WR Ryan Swope, RB Andre Ellington and even TE D.C. Jefferson (whom I watched with curiosity at the Senior Bowl)---and I have to tell you, if I had written up a mock draft where we trade down twice and come away with Cooper, Minter, Mathieu, Okafor, Watford, Taylor, Swope, Ellington, and Jefferson I would have gotten the lol fantasy land responses...no one would have taken it seriously, not even myself.

I mean---I couldn't have even dreamed of this draft because there is no way I would have ever thought we could have come away with this combination of players---it's amazing. It is truly amazing!:newcards:

Last edited:

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Great minds, Catfish! I've been thinking along those lines for about a year now.

(We should go to Tempe and let them know.)

Did you see the segment on 60 Minutes with the former Green Beret (served in Afghanistan) who was working on a police force? He was using his GB skills as a sort of beat cop. Today's GBs would be perfect for the job you described. Most of them are ex-jocks. They know the culture. They're trained in dealing with all kinds of people and getting them to work towards a goal. I'd hire one to do this job in a nano-second.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A choked up Ryan McDonough (the new Suns GM) in a teleconference got choked up talking about his brothers. He kept saying Terry is a great talent evaluator. What a fantastic family. It would be ironic if the Cardinals and Suns got their GM and coaching positions right before the coming season.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Great minds, Catfish! I've been thinking along those lines for about a year now.

(We should go to Tempe and let them know.)

Did you see the segment on 60 Minutes with the former Green Beret (served in Afghanistan) who was working on a police force? He was using his GB skills as a sort of beat cop. Today's GBs would be perfect for the job you described. Most of them are ex-jocks. They know the culture. They're trained in dealing with all kinds of people and getting them to work towards a goal. I'd hire one to do this job in a nano-second.

I did not see it Betty. I agree with your assessment of the Green Beret's abilities however. While they would be great for the dealings concerning street culture etc., I believe it would also be of benefit if the organization would counsel the rookies concerning finance and investment as well. Show them the ways of wise investments and future planning, as opposed to spending it all on frivolity.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
A choked up Ryan McDonough (the new Suns GM) in a teleconference got choked up talking about his brothers. He kept saying Terry is a great talent evaluator. What a fantastic family. It would be ironic if the Cardinals and Suns got their GM and coaching positions right before the coming season.

This can't be a coincidence, can it?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Does McDonough have a background in counseling or anything in his background that would suggest he is capable of handling that type of role?

HotSauce

Veteran
Reaction score
And while I am at it---just one more thing I've been meaning to say---I did more film study of players in this draft than any other draft---and prior to the draft I had watched a good deal of tape on G Jonathan Cooper, LB Kevin Minter, CB/S Tyrann Mathieu, DE/OLB Alec Okafor, G Earl Watford, RB Stepfan Taylor, WR Ryan Swope, RB Andre Ellington and even TE D.C. Jefferson (whom I watched with curiosity at the Senior Bowl)---and I have to tell you, if I had written up a mock draft where we trade down twice and come away with Cooper, Minter, Mathieu, Okafor, Watford, Taylor, Swope, Ellington, and Jefferson I would have gotten the lol fantasy land responses...no one would have taken it seriously, not even myself.

I mean---I couldn't have even dreamed of this draft because there is no way I would have ever thought we could have come away with this combination of players---it's amazing. It is truly amazing!:newcards:

Fantasyland (amazing) in a good way like, "Wow that would be great?"

Or fantasyland (amazing) in a bad way, like, "Oh No, Not Again?"

Last edited: