Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Derrickson to Make the Earth Stand Still
Source: Hollywood North Report
April 10, 2007

Hollywood North Report has learned that The Exorcism of Emily Rose director Scott Derrickson will helm 20th Century Fox's remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still, prepping for a shoot in Vancouver and will film there until November.

The film is based on Robert Wise's 1951 sci-fi classic about an alien man and his robot who come to earth in a saucer-shape spacecraft.

The studio has scheduled a May 9, 2008 release for the film.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crap!

This is one movie I'd hoped they'd never do a remake of....

But since they are, I hope they do a great job on it.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Caught the preview for this over the weekend.

Starring Keanu Reeves? I suppose they could have casted someone worse. I'm really hoping that it's not a remake (which based on the trailer would be a completely new retelling), but a continuation of the storyline based upon Klaatu's warning to Earth.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Day the Earth Stood Still

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Release Date: December 12, 2008 (conventional theaters and IMAX)
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: Scott Derrickson
Screenwriter: David Scarpa
Genre: Sci-Fi, Thriller
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for some sci-fi disaster images and violence)

Starring: Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Connelly, Kathy Bates, Jaden Smith, Jon Hamm, Kyle Chandler

Plot Summary: "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is 20th Century Fox's contemporary reinvention of its 1951 classic. Keanu Reeves portrays Klaatu, an alien whose arrival on our planet triggers a global upheaval. As governments and scientists race to unravel the mystery behind the visitor's appearance, a woman (Jennifer Connelly) and her young stepson get caught up in his mission – and come to understand the ramifications of his being a self-described "friend to the Earth."

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The trailer for X-Men Origins: Wolverine is attached to this film ...

AZZenny

Reaction score
TNR mini-review:
"Give them this much: The producers of the Keanu Reeves-starring remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still were wise to squeeze it into the same calendar year as its fellow breathtakingly awful sci-fi eco-parable The Happening, thereby sparing it a wide array of possible "Worst" awards.

Utter lack of narrative logic or continuity from scene to scene? Check. Painful, lifeless expository dialogue? Check. Ridiculous interspecies quasi-romance? Check. Jennifer Connelly in another of a series of decidedly improbable brainiac roles? Check. Men in Black ripoff (this time not intended as parody) of aliens living among us? Check. Political message of dull, thundering obviousness; rude, troublemaking preadolescent who learns a Valuable Lesson; near-extinction of the human race as an opportunity for family reconciliation? Check, check, check.

On the plus side, Reeves is relatively well cast as an affectless alien. One can only hope that in the future he will devote himself to playing androids, less-self-aware species of undead, stylish pieces of contemporary furniture, and other roles that do not require the exhibition of any recognizably human traits."

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
One word:

AWFUL.

A script written by monkeys was the best the movie had to offer. For a much more enjoyable time, rent or buy the original and watch it at home. This movie was absolutely terrible and a waste of money.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really good. Not really terrible. Didn't like it. Didn't hate it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really good. Not really terrible. Didn't like it. Didn't hate it.

yeah, i was upset, I was looking forward to it being terrible after all the stuff I read about it. it ended up just being bland.

it was certainly no Invasion with Nicole Kidman. Now THAT movie was truly awful.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, i was upset, I was looking forward to it being terrible after all the stuff I read about it. it ended up just being bland.

it was certainly no Invasion with Nicole Kidman. Now THAT movie was truly awful.

That was awful. I would see this 5 more times before seeing that one again.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
yeah, i was upset, I was looking forward to it being terrible after all the stuff I read about it. it ended up just being bland

A Keanu Reeves movie being bland? No way. :sarcasm:

When the script calls for an emotionless character, everyone in Hollywood knows who to call first.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just saw the movie it was decent kind of slow and no real action at all..... But the football field scene was pretty cool :) won't give it away for people who haven't seen it yet. But what a boring ending man and they don't even really show the aliens kind of weak. 5/10 for me

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
The original is one of the top 3 Sci-Fi films of all time as far as I'm concerned (the other two being Forbidden Plant and Star Wars.)

It sad that it seems as though they did no justice to the original.

I was hoping that they would have played it as a sequel of sorts; with Klaatu coming back to make good on the threat/warning he gave humanity.

I'll wait until it comes out on video.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Change the title to 'The Day the Earth went Green, Or Else' and it would make sense. I really wanted to like it but to no avail I give it a 2.9 out of 5.

Last edited:

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I saw it the other day. Bleh, it was ok. Didn't hate; didn't love it either. I did like the jumbo Robotron - very 1950's!

SunDevilDon

Registered
Reaction score
I saw this movie a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was one of the worst movies I've seen all year.

One word to describe - BORING!!!

Luckily I saw it at the Scottsdale Drive-in on a Tuesday and it only cost 4 bucks.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad to see a movie that they really could have done well being given such "meh" treatment. Nice effects, but a lot wrong with it. Did not like the gigantic version of Gort, nor did I care for the mechanical insect stuff.

I'm not sorry I saw it, but, well....... Just read Shane's comments.... I'm with him.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This movie freakin' sucked. .01-5
Just aweful, though Canoe didn't disappoint... he was as aweful as he always is. Stick to Bill and Ted movies you horrible horrible actor. Complete waste of my time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan