The Draft Not Taken

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
In one of the most famous and yet masterfully paradoxical poems ever written, Robert Frost, donning the persona of a man who looks back at the choices he made in life with a mixture of regret and satisfaction, arrives at the salient conclusion that despite not knowing where the other paths in life would have taken him, contends that the paths he did choose, the ones "less traveled," eventually "made all the difference."

Such sentiments and epiphanies can be applied to the Arizona Cardinals 2014 Draft.

Clearly, the Cardinals were faced with some very difficult choices---because this draft did not go as they expected---as many of the top players on their board were taken in spots immediately above their own spots---and despite trying very diligently on numerous occasions to make trades in order to work the draft more in their favor, they were unable to do so, because as Steve Keim asserted, "it takes two to make a deal."

The immediate thought was that the Cardinals were going to take a high impact, speedy edge pass rusher in the first round. There was hope that the raw, but highly talented Anthony Barr would slide down to #20---which was erased when the Minnesota Vikings took him at #9. Jadaveon Clowney and Khalil Mack were also the #1 and #5 picks respectively.

Then, rather unexpectedly, Ryan Shazier was taken at #15 by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Here's where "two roads diverged" for the Arizona Cardinals.

With Barr and Shazier off the board, the choice was to focus in on OLB/DE Dee Ford with the #20 or turn their attention to drafting one of the three stud safeties in Calvin Pryor, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix or Deone Bucannon.

Calvin Pryor came off the board at #18 to the New York Jets. With Pryor and Shazier off the board, Steve Keim saw this as an opportunity to trade down in order to pick up an extra pick. Mission accomplished. At that point his commitment was to draft the safety he felt was the right fit for the Cardinals in Deone Bucannon...a player, like Jonathan Cooper last year, the Cardinals had spent significant time evaluating and recruiting.

The Cardinals' number one need was at strong safety.

Between picks 27 and 52, a number of edge OLBers that the Cardinals were likely high on were gobbled up---one could argue that the Cardinals, now with an extra 3rd rounder could make a move up the board to grab one of the edge players like Kyle Van Noy or Jeremiah Attoachu (as the Chargers did at #50, two spots ahead of the Cardinals).

However, the Cardinals only had six picks going into the draft---and adding that extra 3rd rounder was a coup. Can one blame them for standing pat? Was Attoachu so good a prospect as to give up a third rounder to get him? Plus, he was still on the board at #50---so there was hope he would still be there at #52---why trade up two spots?

Just the same, the Cardinals were hoping that massive TE Troy Niklas of Notre Dame would be on the board at #52. Bruce Arians and Steve Keim had discussed this scenario prior to the draft. Niklas clearly was the guy they wanted at #52, and rightfully so, because there is not a blocker like him on the roster or in any other TE in the draft.

So what this "road less traveled" draft then became was a mission to take players with skill sets that cannot be currently found on the roster:

1. Deone Bucannon, S. Washington St. Big, physical, hard-hitting box defender who has the size and speed to cover TEs (a high priority need area).

2. Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame. A big, physical mauler in the running game who can make the whole offensive line better.

3. Kareem Martin, OLB/DE, North Carolina. A highly athletic edge rusher with the length BA&SK were stating they were looking for in this draft---something that Dee Ford, Kyle Van Noy or Jeremiah Attoachu do not have.

3. John Brown, WR, Pittsburg St. A T.Y. Hilton/Antonio Brown type field stretcher with speed to burn who can threaten the deep and intermediate middle and sidelines. Plus, a player with impressive punt and kickoff return ability.

4. Logan Thomas, QB, Virgina Tech. A tall, athletic QB with a Juggs gun for an arm, who can be groomed behind Carson Palmer while helping the team prepare for the likes of Colin Kaepernick and the athleticism of Russell Wilson. In the process with the hope of being groomed into an unstoppable force at the QB position.

5. Ed Stinson, DE/DT, Alabama. A strong inside 5 technique run defender to back up Darnell Dockett.

6. Walter Powell, WR, Murray St. A deceptively strong and elusive WR who has an uncanny way of making tacklers miss. It's a jail break every time he catches the ball.

Following the last pick BA&SK worked diligently to recruit a few more talented undrafted free agents who will have a chance to make the roster. The most notable are:

7. Kadeem Williams, T, Albany St. Massive and athletic prospect who was signed to a three-year contract.

8. Anthony Steen, G, Alabama. This guy is tough as nails and may even come right in and take over the RG spot.

9. Glenn Carson, ILB, Penn St. One of the steadiest and surest tacklers of all the ILB prospects in the draft.

10. Chandler Catanzaro, K, Clemson. One of the more talented kickers in college football who has a chance to win the PK job.

Will Bruce Arians and Steve Keim be "telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence?"

Sure---only they know and can lament the players they missed out on---but that's the way the draft goes. You cannot take two players at one spot.

So, Bruce Arians and Steve Keim went and took the players whom they felt offered a little something that no one else on the roster gave the team---and those little somethings, like a Deone Bucannon running stride for stride with Vernon Davis up the seam, like a Troy Niklas pancaking Richard Quinn, like a Kareem Martin deflecting a Russell Wilson pass into the waiting arms of Tyrann Mathieu, like a John Brown racing up the seam like a flash blowing past Eric Reid to the house, like a Logan Thomas preparing the team to beat Colin Kaepernick for once and possibly twice, like an Ed Stinson getting a key 4th and inches stop on Marshawn Lynch, like a Walter Powell breaking Richard Sherman's ankles on the sidelines after a nifty catch and sudden juke---little somethings that when all added up can help to make "all the difference" in the formidable NFC West.

As Bruce Arians avows: "Team is what it takes."

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry Mitch but if you just stop, pause and look out your window, you will know that they have miles to go before they win (the West), and miles to go. ;)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Mitch, you captured the situation perfectly. It never ceases to amaze how keyboard GM's can be so quick to criticize and "grade" a draft the very day it ends, as if what they perceived as the correct path to take has any validity whatsoever, or that any of their correct paths were even available to take...
As for me, I believe in BASK whom, regardless of what any keyboard expert might suggest, took a ragtag team to a 10&6 record last season. They have demonstrated, early on that they are savvy deal-makers and talent evaluators. And therefore, I am confident that what was netted in this draft was the best possible outcome given all of the myriad dynamics that took place leading up to and throughout that draft. I look forward to the 2014 season with great excitement as I am confident that BASK will compile a roster that will once again put our team in position to reach the post season...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, fantastic. But you bought up all the Kool Aid, so what can the rest of us do? On a more objective, and certainly less literary take:
1. SK, on not taking a QB in the first round, indicated that Craig Bortles was the only franchise QB in this draft.
2. In questioning Logan Thomas' accuracy, like everyone else, Bill Polian said that is not something you can fix. However, he has enough faith in BA and Tom Moore, that he was going to call them in order to ascertain what they saw that he didn't.
3. I'm worried that John Brown has small hands, and such a slight build. Just hope he can withstand the hard knocks of the NFL, and we won't be singing that, "John Brown's body lies a smoldering in the grave".
4. The Path Not Taken (no OL selected) MIGHT indicate that BASK has faith in Watford and Massie/Sowell/Winston. Or it might just be a case of more needs than picks.
5. The rest of the picks aren't ones to get me too excited, but they seem like solid picks, with a good chance to make the team.
6. Someone, (SK?), said that you like to come out of a draft with three impact players. I think that Bucannon and Niklas fit that description, with John Brown a possibility.

And remember, "The Path Not Taken" was a look back, so let's wait a while before we go thumbs up or thumbs down. But again Mitch, thanks for a great read.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Mitch, fantastic. But you bought up all the Kool Aid, so what can the rest of us do? On a more objective, and certainly less literary take:
1. SK, on not taking a QB in the first round, indicated that Craig Bortles was the only franchise QB in this draft.
2. In questioning Logan Thomas' accuracy, like everyone else, Bill Polian said that is not something you can fix. However, he has enough faith in BA and Tom Moore, that he was going to call them in order to ascertain what they saw that he didn't.
3. I'm worried that John Brown has small hands, and such a slight build. Just hope he can withstand the hard knocks of the NFL, and we won't be singing that, "John Brown's body lies a smoldering in the grave".
4. The Path Not Taken (no OL selected) MIGHT indicate that BASK has faith in Watford and Massie/Sowell/Winston. Or it might just be a case of more needs than picks.
5. The rest of the picks aren't ones to get me too excited, but they seem like solid picks, with a good chance to make the team.
6. Someone, (SK?), said that you like to come out of a draft with three impact players. I think that Bucannon and Niklas fit that description, with John Brown a possibility.

And remember, "The Path Not Taken" was a look back, so let's wait a while before we go thumbs up or thumbs down. But again Mitch, thanks for a great read.

1. Yup, everyone was clamoring for us to draft a heir to Palmer early. It ignores that we are in the hunt right at this moment, reguardless of Seattle and SF. We ARE close, as indicated in the close W in Seattle and close L at home vs. SF last home game.

2. That was probably my biggest disapointment in this draft. We still could have gotten a real decent position player there at that spot in the draft. Thomas should have been there in the 5th Rd. Take Stinson or OL in the 6th.
Guys I would have preferred in Rd. 4:
1) Desir- CB
2)Flemming - T
3) Dozier - G
4) Yankey - G
5) Lynch - OLB
6) Bradford - OLB
7) Shembo - OLB

3. I think Brown will be fine in how they intend to use him. He's not going to be going over the middle, we have plenty who can do that. Fitz will have to earn it and own it. Play physically in the MOST physical division. If he won't - hasta. Match Sherman's intensity and then some -

4. Arians is giving them a chance. Dwyer, Massie, Watford in particular. Do or die. Fanaika and Sowell can fill in where/when needed.

6. Martin has a chance. Don't know if it will be at SLOB. I don't think he's used to moving in space much.
I think with a year of strength training he'd be a decent 3/4 DE. I think he has the frame to add bulk and hopefully strength. I hope he's a hard trainer. That's key for him. Hopefully they got that right about him.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In early april, ESPN's (Meunsh (sp) had us taking Bucannon at #1, Niklas #2, and Smith, who was over drafted by Philly, at #3.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for me, I believe in BASK whom, regardless of what any keyboard expert might suggest, took a ragtag team to a 10&6 record last season. They have demonstrated, early on that they are savvy deal-makers and talent evaluators. And therefore, I am confident that what was netted in this draft was the best possible outcome given all of the myriad dynamics that took place leading up to and throughout that draft. I look forward to the 2014 season with great excitement as I am confident that BASK will compile a roster that will once again put our team in position to reach the post season...
82 I enjoy your positive spin on the draft. There are many reasons to have faith in this staff compared to prior staffs. It took me a nights sleep to look at the draft more openly and to recognize the path they went down.

I do believe we got some really good players at the top, and the staff will have to really develop the lower picks to make this all work.

Can't wait for camp to start to see what players will stand up and get noticed.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
82 I enjoy your positive spin on the draft. There are many reasons to have faith in this staff compared to prior staffs. It took me a nights sleep to look at the draft more openly and to recognize the path they went down.

I do believe we got some really good players at the top, and the staff will have to really develop the lower picks to make this all work.

Can't wait for camp to start to see what players will stand up and get noticed.

Thx. We never know how these players will translate... Time and time again, players become better than anticipated and worse.
I just don't get the overly critical responses to a GM and Head Coach, who while are still new, have done nothing but impress...
Who knows, last season could turn out to be a one-hit wonder for BASK. But, we should at minimum give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thx. We never know how these players will translate... Time and time again, players become better than anticipated and worse.
I just don't get the overly critical responses to a GM and Head Coach, who while are still new, have done nothing but impress...
Who knows, last season could turn out to be a one-hit wonder for BASK. But, we should at minimum give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise, no?[/QUOTE]

Yes - Absolutely - Without Question.

I get questioning a pick at some point, I did it with the Logan and Powell picks but to state that BASK are clueless or panicking or starting a thread that the honeymoon is over is simply crazy IMWO.

Hey Mitch, Fantastic post. Some posters saying it was totally a needs based draft but many didn't want us to draft a TE. Well we spend a 2nd rd pick on a TE so which is it?

Now I do think BASK addressed many of their needs and big ones at that but I for one am glad they were able to do that. In an incredibly deep draft with a plateau of players ranked very similar from the late first through at least the third rd then it was an ideal draft to grab need.

Some complained BASK got the last quality player at a position that wasn't that deep. For the life of me I can't find the negative in that. Grab DB with maybe on more top notch Safety still available isn't a negative. The fact that he had the best overall measurable than any other Safety in the draft should be seen as a plus.

Grabbing the last top notch TE in a shallow draft of quality TE's is a negative??? Now factor in he is by FAR the best blocking TE in the draft and has the biggest upside of any TE and again we don't like the pick????????

Rugby started a thread about how grateful he was to the ASFN family and this board during the draft process. I agree and want to especially thank those who have some inside info and are crazy smart with FB knowledge because everyone of them liked or loved the vast majority of the picks.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
In early april, ESPN's (Meunsh (sp) had us taking Bucannon at #1, Niklas #2, and Smith, who was over drafted by Philly, at #3.

I think it's funny you say Smith was overdrafted but Bucannon was not when consensus had them both 2nd-3rd rounds choices.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's funny you say Smith was overdrafted but Bucannon was not when consensus had them both 2nd-3rd rounds choices.

You have a point, but any third round reference in the case of Bucannon dissipated in the weeks leading up to draft and he was higher rated individually by Scouts Inc, etc. The Smith selection illustrates, it seems, how few good pass rushing prospects there were in this draft.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think this draft is going to result in 2 starters at Safety and Tight End. There will be three more who will contribute at WR and Dline. I can see Brown having only 10-20 catches this year however I think 2-3 go for TDs. Martin will come up with 2-3 sacks in part time duty and Stinson will have a couple of big stops in goal line situations.

Now any time you can come out of a draft with 2 starters I would consider that a very good draft. If you also get 2 or 3 others who can contribute then you had a great draft. If Brown Martin and Stinson all stick to the final roster then you have also upgraded your depth, made the team younger and started an infusion of talent that will be full time players down the road.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The 2014 draft

Viewed in the prism of what BA&SK are looking for and in the context of the NFC West, this draft represents a continuation of re-making the Cardinal roster to add players with the following attributes:

1) Physical toughness. It goes without saying that the weak will not survive in the NFC West. Be tough or get stomped.

2) Speed, especially at wide receiver and in the return game.

3) Length, especially on defense.

4) Leadership as exemplified by being a team captain.

5) Passion for the game of football.

If you want to play for the Arizona Cardinals, you better have at least 3 or 4 of these five attributes depending on the position you play. Football passion and physical toughness are not optional at any position.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05