The Drafting of a Defense

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The Atlanta Falcons are building one of the fastest defenses in the NFL. Here's how they built it. It's not a juggernaut yet, but the talent and the design there is impressive.

L Defensive End

L Defensive Tackle

R Defensive Tackle

R Defensive End
  • V. Beasley---R1/2015

Weakside Linebacker
  • D. Riley---R3/2017

Middle Linebacker

Strongside Linebacker

L Cornerback
Nickel CB

Strong Safety

Free Safety
Nickel Safety

R Cornerback
Talk about trying to make their draft picks count. Much because Dan Quinn was on board with all the picks (has a clear hand in the selections) and is not afraid to insert his draft picks into the lineup as rookies.

Look at the Cardinals' starters to compare:

LDE Frostee Rucker---UFA
NT Corey Peters---UFA
RDE Olsen Pierre---UCFA
LOLB Markus Golden---R2/2015
LILB Karlos Dansby---UFA
RILB Deone Bucannon---R1/2014
ROLB Chandler Jones---Trade/2016
LCB Patrick Peterson---R1/2011
SS Budda Baker---R2/2017
FS Tryann Mathieu---R3/2013
RCB Tramon Williams---UFA
NS Antoine Bethea---UFA

Other Draft Picks:

DE Robert Nkemdiche---R1/2016
DE Rodney Gunter---R4/2015
LB Haason Reddick---R1/2017
LB Kareem Martin---R3/2014
CB Justin Bethel---R6/2012
CB Brandon Williams---R3/2016
S Harlan Miller---R6/2016
S Rudy Ford---R6/2017

What does this suggest about the way in which the Cardinals draft, assimilate and develop their players?

Last edited:

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
bad assimilation and developement, if my R1-4 players and R6 Safties can't see the field but are good enough to be on the team, that tells me that our coaching isn't great or our assimilation of theire talent.

Or they are all busts and are still here because ... no screw that, Martin showed he can play, Bethel was a pro bowl ST and isn't anymore ... who knows why ... and so on ... oh and Rodney Gunter in his first year, was a beast on some games...

I'm not sold on Bettcher nor on Amos ... and BA should have fired Amos a while ago and Bettcher should have been under a better DC ... there where many of us that hoped the former 49ers DC would get our job back than...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim reaches like hell.

Gunter & Brandon Williams got picked WAY too early.

Even Golden got picked earlier than he should have despite having 2 solid seasons.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To digress -

Several years ago, the Card defense matched up favorably vs. the Giant offense in just about every aspect of play. So I'm thinking - "If I'm Tom Coughlin, what am I supposed to do?"

The answer: Smashmouth (The one advantage the Giants had over us was that they were bigger and more physical. They rammed things up between the tackles and we couldn't stop them. Side benefit was that they didn't have to do much thinking or scheming - just pound the rock). Strategy worked. They murdered us.

My Point - Atlanta may be building a defense to match up with speedier offenses operating under modified League rules, but as they say: "This too will pass." Some other team will adjust to their adjustment of their adjustment and so on...

I like Bettcher's defensive scheme - not that it's perfect - but more because the players aren't all even in talent (Losing Calais may have hurt more than expected, and then there were the injuries). Atlanta's way may be foreward thinking - but it's not the only way.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Atlanta Falcons are building one of the fastest defenses in the NFL. Here's how they built it. It's not a juggernaut yet, but the talent and the design there is impressive.

L Defensive End

L Defensive Tackle

R Defensive Tackle

R Defensive End
  • V. Beasley---R1/2015

Weakside Linebacker
  • D. Riley---R3/2017

Middle Linebacker

Strongside Linebacker

L Cornerback
Nickel CB

Strong Safety

Free Safety
Nickel Safety

R Cornerback
Talk about trying to make their draft picks count. Much because Dan Quinn was on board with all the picks (has a clear hand in the selections) and is not afraid to insert his draft picks into the lineup as rookies.

Look at the Cardinals' starters to compare:

LDE Frostee Rucker---UFA
NT Corey Peters---UFA
RDE Olsen Pierre---UCFA
LOLB Markus Golden---R2/2015
LILB Karlos Dansby---UFA
RILB Deone Bucannon---R1/2014
ROLB Chandler Jones---Trade/2016
LCB Patrick Peterson---R1/2011
SS Budda Baker---R2/2017
FS Tryann Mathieu---R3/2013
RCB Tramon Williams---UFA
NS Antoine Bethea---UFA

Other Draft Picks:

DE Robert Nkemdiche---R1/2016
DE Rodney Gunter---R4/2015
LB Haason Reddick---R1/2017
LB Kareem Martin---R3/2014
CB Justin Bethel---R6/2012
CB Brandon Williams---R3/2016
S Harlan Miller---R6/2016
S Rudy Ford---R6/2017

What does this suggest about the way in which the Cardinals draft, assimilate and develop their players?

Suuuuuuper bad example the Falcons just had the biggest defensive meltdown in the history of the playoffs last year.

The cardinals over the past 5 years have had a defense light years better than the Falcons.

Players get old

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
My point is: the Falcons have a clear plan, they know exactly the prototypes they are looking for in the draft and they play and develop their rookies. The Cardinals? Not so much. They don't even start their 1st rounders as rookies, unless forced to.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Drafting is where Keim needs to consistently improve. He can't keep getting cute reaching for small schools guys with potential because chances are they won't reach that potential going against much better competition in the NFL. You have to have more than just speed in the NFL, you need to have football IQ and smarts to learn pro style offenses and defenses. Also, Keim needs to start drafting guys with NFL ready bodies and strength, its no wonder Nelson & Brown can't stay healthy or be consistently productive. NFL ready guys usually come from Power 5 schools who play against high level competition every week and are productive.

Keim usually does a good job in FA but this year he signed guys who have performed well but will need to be replaced as they are really old. I know the saying is you can't pay everybody (hello Calais Campbell) but you need to draft suitable replacements (hello Robert Nkemdiche) otherwise you go from a 10+ win team to a sub .500 team real quick.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My point is: the Falcons have a clear plan, they know exactly the prototypes they are looking for in the draft and they play and develop their rookies. The Cardinals? Not so much. They don't even start their 1st rounders as rookies, unless forced to.

The cardinals clearly have a type of player they like Badger, Baker, Bucannon, Reddick all smaller versitile and fast

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
To digress -

Several years ago, the Card defense matched up favorably vs. the Giant offense in just about every aspect of play. So I'm thinking - "If I'm Tom Coughlin, what am I supposed to do?"

The answer: Smashmouth (The one advantage the Giants had over us was that they were bigger and more physical. They rammed things up between the tackles and we couldn't stop them. Side benefit was that they didn't have to do much thinking or scheming - just pound the rock). Strategy worked. They murdered us.

My Point - Atlanta may be building a defense to match up with speedier offenses operating under modified League rules, but as they say: "This too will pass." Some other team will adjust to their adjustment of their adjustment and so on...

I like Bettcher's defensive scheme - not that it's perfect - but more because the players aren't all even in talent (Losing Calais may have hurt more than expected, and then there were the injuries). Atlanta's way may be foreward thinking - but it's not the only way.
its a copycat league...everyone adjusts to any gimmicks a team comes up with. but the thing is,...the gimmick only has to work for one season to get a SB win.
of course,...ATL may have already missed their window

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would pick 7 QB's I'm sick of not having a good "young" one. Ok not really but I don't care we won't win year in year out with the same bring in an old guy and hope.

We IMO can build a D that can get the job done the O up's and downs suck.

Sorry rant over.

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
Keim reaches like hell.

Gunter & Brandon Williams got picked WAY too early.

Even Golden got picked earlier than he should have despite having 2 solid seasons.

So much this. Now.. it has worked in some scenarios. But that's likely deviation than a norm. All these small school players when someone else is likely on the board but we go for the small kid. I mean.. Chad Williams is a good example. He's barely sniffed the field and Dede Westbrook was still on the board *shrug*

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I would in all seriousness select two QBs in the draft, one in the first and one in either the 5th or 6th round. Remember Brady was a 6th round choice.

Reaction score

Isn't not playing the rookies developing them? I mean letting them sit for a year learning the playbook & getting used to the speed of the NFL would be letting a player develop before they are thrown in to the fire. I like the fact that we aren't relying on rookies going into the season. If they can contribute right away that's great but you aren't banking on them panning out immediately.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Our defense really only needs two really good players to add. A DE and a CB. What we really need is a DC that is top notch and I think the D will be fine.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Point well taken re Atlanta, but it's more likely than not that the Cards also create and adhere to position prototypes.

Or not. (Maybe Keim is winging it from round to round. We fans aren't mind-readers. We can only guess. Seems like the "do you draft to fit prototypes" question" would be a good one for a beat writer to ask SK right before the draft).

Final point - Quite possibly BA's "aw shucks" style masks a much more structured approach to coaching and player eval and just makes it look more like he's winging it.

Last edited: