Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Favourite

Release date: November 23, 2018
Studio: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Director: Yorgos Lanthimos
MPAA Rating: R (for strong sexual content, nudity and language)
Screenwriters: Deborah Davis, Tony McNamara
Genre: Drama

Starring: Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, Olivia Coleman, Mark Gatiss, Joe Alwyn, Nicholas Hoult

Plot Summary: "The Favourite" is a bawdy, acerbic tale of royal intrigue, passion, envy and betrayal in the court of Queen Anne in early 18th century England. At the center of the story is the Queen herself (Olivia Colman), whose relationship with her confidante, adviser and clandestine lover Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough (Rachel Weisz) is turned upside down by the arrival of the Duchess’s younger cousin Abigail (Emma Stone). Soon the balance of power shifts between the women as they jockey for influence with the Queen and the court.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I had really been looking forward to this, and my friend and I finally had the chance to go. Well, we both regretted not speaking up to each other halfway through, because it turns out we both wanted to WALK out. You should always be suspect when Rotten Tomatoes has the critic score through the roof and a much lower audience score, I suppose. I mean, I love art house films, but I can also recognize when a film is trying so desperately to make the meaningless meaningful, and being artsy just to be artsy.

Oh well. I have a pretty good record knowing whether or not I'll like a movie. Sometimes you just end up disappointed.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I had really been looking forward to this, and my friend and I finally had the chance to go. Well, we both regretted not speaking up to each other halfway through, because it turns out we both wanted to WALK out. You should always be suspect when Rotten Tomatoes has the critic score through the roof and a much lower audience score, I suppose. I mean, I love art house films, but I can also recognize when a film is trying so desperately to make the meaningless meaningful, and being artsy just to be artsy.

Oh well. I have a pretty good record knowing whether or not I'll like a movie. Sometimes you just end up disappointed.
Agreed. My wife and I watch all the best picture nominees and we couldn't believe this one was nominated. The costumes were great and the acting was decent, but the film was uninteresting.