Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darren Aronofsky to Direct The Fighter
Source: Variety
March 27, 2007

Darren Aronofsky is in talks to direct Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg in boxing drama The Fighter for Paramount Pictures, reports Variety.

The project is based on the rise of Boston boxer "Irish" Micky Ward, who nabbed the world lightweight title with the help of his once down-and-out half-brother Dicky, who became a trainer.

Wahlberg and Damon are ready to commit to making "Fighter" their next movie if they like a rewrite that scribe Paul Attanasio is doing. Filming could begin in early summer in Massachusetts.

Attanasio, who will focus on the themes of brotherhood and redemption, is rewriting a draft by Lewis Collick, Eric Johnson and Paul Tamasy.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought Damon & Wahlberg looked similar enough to play brothers.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be interesting to see either of them try to play a lightweight, though. I wonder if they'll change the weight-class in the film.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Variety, Christian Bale and director David O. Russell are jumping in the ring with Mark Wahlberg for Relativity Media's The Fighter, which Paramount will release domestically.

The movie is a drama about boxer Irish Mickey Ward (Wahlberg) and his unlikely path to become world lightweight champion. Bale plays Dicky Eklund, Mickey's half-brother and a talented fighter who once went the distance with Sugar Ray Leonard in a title fight but then turned to crime and landed in prison. Then he turned his life around and helped his underperforming brother find the spark for a remarkable run that led to the world title.

David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman are producing through their Mandeville production company. The film is expected to begin production in July.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
who plays the role of arturo gatti?

has the potential to be a good boxing story, although he never really had a championship of note or champions reign

great man of the people though - peoples champ

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Fighter

Release Date: December 10, 2010 (limited; wide release: Dec. 17)
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Director: David O. Russell
Screenwriter: Scott Silver
Genre: Drama, Sports
MPAA Rating: R (for language throughout, drug content, some violence and sexuality)

Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Melissa Leo, Jack McGee

Plot Summary: "The Fighter" is a drama about boxer "Irish" Micky Ward (Wahlberg) and his unlikely path to become world lightweight champion. Bale plays Dicky Eklund, Micky's half-brother and a talented fighter who once went the distance with Sugar Ray Leonard in a title fight but then turned to crime and landed in prison. Then he turned his life around and helped his underperforming brother find the spark for a remarkable run that led to the world title.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the first hour is EPIC film-making, second hour was merely good. My biggest problem with the movie, ALL of the supporting characters were much more interesting than The Fighter himself so once it started focussing on him, it just kind of became a by the numbers sports movie.

pretty good flick but had a chance to be something really special.

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree, I really liked the movie. Bale was excellent and I was also impressed with Amy Adams. I don't know enough about Micky Ward to know how much of his family story was true or just Hollywood, but overall I liked the friction between the family.

I left the theater slightly disappointed they weren't able to cover the Ward vs Gatti fights in retrospect, it's probably better they didn't touch that series of fights as they will stand on their own.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent film. Good acting all the way across.

Damn Amy Adams isn't super hot. But she sure is sexy! :)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Russell, Bale and Leo get Oscar nominations for this, with Russell and Bale being favorites in their category.

It's a shame Russell has been given so few opportunities to direct. He's one of the best of his generation. Not a lot of flash. Just a guy who knows how to get the most out of his actors and a script. If you can overcome the Oedipal plot line, check out Spanking the Monkey. Dude's always been a good filmmaker.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I agree, I really liked the movie. Bale was excellent and I was also impressed with Amy Adams. I don't know enough about Micky Ward to know how much of his family story was true or just Hollywood, but overall I liked the friction between the family.

I left the theater slightly disappointed they weren't able to cover the Ward vs Gatti fights in retrospect, it's probably better they didn't touch that series of fights as they will stand on their own.

Yeah, when it ended I almost threw my cup at the screen. I had been telling my wife for awhile about the Ward-Gatti wars (and that's what they were). Then, the movie just ends without touching it. A little disappointing.

Bale deserves an Oscar.

Shane, you and me both are crushing on Amy Adams. Nipples!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZvr0Bl_uPs&feature=related

Last edited:

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I think it was smart of them not to touch the Gatti fights. Those were so good that they would never be able to replicate them. I wish they could have shown some footage of them during the credits.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Great, great movie. Bale of course was magnificent. I actually liked all the acting in the movie, and they did a great job of showing the family as being very tight-knit but pretty awful. I especially liked Jack McGee as the outsider looking in on a female-dominated group. Glad he stood up and took control halfway through.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Just watched this last night, with the wife. We both loved it. I've always been a pretty big boxing fan and watching some of the fights on film really took me back. I can actually remember seeing that Sanchez fight.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great, great movie. Bale of course was magnificent. I actually liked all the acting in the movie, and they did a great job of showing the family as being very tight-knit but pretty awful. I especially liked Jack McGee as the outsider looking in on a female-dominated group. Glad he stood up and took control halfway through.
Yeah, the dad was hilarious. Great cast. Even Marky Mark stepped his game up.

I thought there were a few rough spots, but overall a good movie. Very entertaining.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05