The new kickoff

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Watched the HoF game and I'm up in the air on the new KO...
But it seems the average return gets to about the 25 with the possibility of more.

IMO the best option is going to be a modified squib kick... get it over the line, hit the ground around the 5, and roll through the end zone.

By Landing in the field of play and rolling through the EZ the receiving team gets it at the 20...however if you just kick it out the back of the EZ they get it at the 30....
A low trajectory squib is the best way to maximize field position while limiting the opportunities for any breakout returns...

Plus, if a defender follows his instincts and jumps up and knocks down the kick you have a chance at a TO maybe...not sure on the new rules if that would create a live ball...

What do you guys think?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But it seems the average return gets to about the 25 with the possibility of more.

IMO the best option is going to be a modified squib kick... get it over the line, hit the ground around the 5, and roll through the end zone.

By Landing in the field of play and rolling through the EZ the receiving team gets it at the 20...however if you just kick it out the back of the EZ they get it at the 30....
A low trajectory squib is the best way to maximize field position while limiting the opportunities for any breakout returns...

Plus, if a defender follows his instincts and jumps up and knocks down the kick you have a chance at a TO maybe...not sure on the new rules if that would create a live ball...

What do you guys think?
I wonder if this brings in the need for a hybrid type kicker, one who is a good tackler and a not boom it kicker. Or does your field goal kicker need punter like skills and an ability to tackle. On the other maybe the kicker stays the same as before.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What do you guys think?

I thought, and I could 100% be wrong, that the kicking team can only change how they kick it if they are behind on points and it's the second half of the game.

Edit! Found this. Kind of right, but mostly wrong. But you can't squib it, it's a penalty. And onside kicks are only allowed in the 4th quarter now.

LANDING ZONE

• Landing zone is the area between the receiving team’s goal line and its 20-yard line.
  • Any kick that hits short of the landing zone – treated like kickoff out of bounds and ball spotted at B40 yard line; play would be blown dead as soon as kick lands short of the landing zone
  • Any kick that hits in the landing zone - must be returned
  • Any kick that hits in the landing zone and then goes into the end zone – must be returned or downed by receiving team – if downed then touchback to B20 yard line
  • Kick hits in end zone, stays inbounds - returned or downed – if downed then touchback to B30 yard line
  • Any kick that goes out of the back of the end zone (in the air or bounces) – touchback to B30 yard line

Onside kick:
  • 4th quarter begins, the team trailing has the opportunity to declare an onside kick to the officials
  • Current onside kickoff rules would apply. If onside kick goes beyond the setup zone untouched, kicking team penalized for UNS; return team would start the drive at the A20 yard line

Last edited:
OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I thought, and I could 100% be wrong, that the kicking team can only change how they kick it if they are behind on points and it's the second half of the game.

Edit! Found this. Kind of right, but mostly wrong. But you can't squib it, it's a penalty. And onside kicks are only allowed in the 4th quarter now.

Yeah that's why I said modified squib. It needs to hit the ground in the landing zone and roll into the end zone in order to work

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's why I said modified squib. It needs to hit the ground in the landing zone and roll into the end zone in order to work
Gottcha! That makes sense!

I had no clue there were so many new cavets to the new rule.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last night was boring with the new kickoff rules. But, with a supreme KO guy who can make the first guy miss, it could be an explosive play. Anything is better than the rules last year.