The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio

Release Date: September 28, 2005 (NY, LA; limited release: September 30)
Studio: Go Fish Pictures (DreamWorks)
Director: Jane Anderson
Screenwriter: Jane Anderson
Genre: Drama
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for thematic elements, some disturbing images and language)

Starring: Julianne Moore, Woody Harrelson, Laura Dern, Trevor Morgan, Jordan Todosey, Frank Chiesurin, Brando Barbaro, Luca Barbaro, Erik Knudsen, Jessica Pollock, Ellary Porterfield, Terry Ryan, Brendan Price, Ryan Price, Evan Rose, Jake Scott, Melanie Tonello, Maxwell Uretsky

Plot Summary: Based on a true story, "The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio" stars four-time Academy Award nominee Julianne Moore ("Far From Heaven," "The Hours," "The End of the Affair," "Boogie Nights"), Oscar nominee Woody Harrelson ("The People vs. Larry Flynt") and Oscar nominee Laura Dern ("Rambling Rose," "We Don't Live Here Anymore") in the story of a woman who defies the odds to keep a roof over her family's heads.

Evelyn Ryan (Julianne Moore) is a devoted housewife and mother of ten in the 1950s. Her husband (Woody Harrelson) can't seem to make ends meet, but that doesn't stop the car from breaking down, the mortgage coming due and the bills from piling up. It falls to Evelyn to defy the conventions of the day and find a way to keep her family together with the odds stacked against them. Applying her remarkable resourcefulness and an uncommon wit, Evelyn finds her own way in the profitable jingle contests popular in the 1950s and '60s.

Attachments

• prizewinner.jpg
    prizewinner.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 42

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just watched this. I thought it was a really good movie. I was pretty shocked at how little it made at the box office. Woody Harrelson did an excellent job of portraying an alcoholic father trying to be the sole breadwinner for 10 kids in the 50’s. Julianne Moore was also excellent as the mother trying to keep the family together and in good spirits through the difficult times. It was funny to watch the clips from the old tv shows.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to see this - a good friend of mine is a talent agent, and send the script was one of the best/tear-jerking one he's ever read.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan