This May Be Warner's Last Season

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.azdailysun.com/articles/2008/10/07/news/sports/20081007_sport_182816.txt

Cardinals starting signal-caller increasing thoughts of retirement

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

TEMPE (AP) -- Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner says that after this season he will take his closest look yet at retiring from the NFL.

The scary injury to teammate Anquan Boldin, combined with other factors, has led him to give more serious consideration to leaving the game. "I'm definitely considering retirement more than I ever have before," the 37-year-old quarterback said Monday, "but that doesn't mean it's more than 50 percent or anything like that. I'm just going to consider it."

The comments came after Yahoo.com reported that Warner text messaged his wife Brenda shortly after Boldin's injury on Sept. 28 against the New York Jets, saying he'd decided it was time to retire.

She said he meant immediately, but Warner said that wasn't the case.

"There's no question that I texted her and said that I was contemplating and thinking about it because she's wanted me to retire for a couple of years now," Warner said. "It wasn't I was going to retire last week. It was more I'm just really trying to keep this thing in perspective moving forward."

Warner has acknowledged the fierce helmet-to-helmet hit on Boldin as the receiver went up for Warner's pass in the waning seconds of Arizona's 56-35 loss to the Jets was the worst he had seen in his 12 NFL seasons. After lying on the ground for many minutes, Boldin was taken off the field on a stretcher. He remains sidelined with a fractured sinus.

Warner has taken countless hard hits in his rags-to-riches pro career that includes MVP awards in the regular season and Super Bowl, as well as a Super Bowl championship.

He doesn't want to be around to take one too many.

"It's a great game and it's done great things for me and my family," Warner said, "but the bottom line is when I'm done I want to be able to walk away and be everything I need to be for my family."

He listed other factors that could lead to his retirement, including the burden of having to live up to expectations and worry about being benched when he doesn't perform.

"When I'm out there between the lines, not one of those things cross my mind," Warner said. "It's just over the five or six days leading up to that. ... Week in and week out, that can weigh heavy on you."

He noted that over the last few years, he's had to be concerned about losing his job to a younger quarterback: Marc Bulger in St. Louis, Eli Manning with the New York Giants and now Matt Leinart in Arizona.

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt chose Warner over Leinart as the starter this season. But Warner is in the final year of his contract and Whisenhunt has repeatedly said Leinart is the franchise's quarterback of the future.

Even if Warner takes the team to the playoffs, the Cardinals may decide it's time to turn things over to Leinart.

"If I'm going to play, I want to play here," Warner said. "If there was no contract done, then I think it would lend myself to even taking a bigger look at it (retirement) instead of moving everything and trying to re-establish myself."

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just about any other guy said that I'd accuse him of trying to force the team to give him a new contract, but with Kurt you just sort of trust he's being honest. You could see it after that game how worried he was about Boldin and how deeply it affected him.

Won't surprise me at all if this is his last season, lets hope if it is he continues to go out with a bang.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I think the Cards should hire him as a coach if he does retire. Hell, he pretty much coaches Leinart already...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Cards should hire him as a coach if he does retire. Hell, he pretty much coaches Leinart already...

IF we did that, he'd be arguing with himself on the sideline every game.

:D

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Just about any other guy said that I'd accuse him of trying to force the team to give him a new contract, but with Kurt you just sort of trust he's being honest. You could see it after that game how worried he was about Boldin and how deeply it affected him.

Won't surprise me at all if this is his last season, lets hope if it is he continues to go out with a bang.

Maybe out with a bang is not the right phrase. How about out on top?

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score
Y'know... he's 37. A headline saying this might be his last season is kinda redundant.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Warner had been coveting a two year deal to stay in Arizona. If he remains healthy this year and has continued success, it's likely he will remain interested in the two year deal.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Warner had been coveting a two year deal to stay in Arizona. If he remains healthy this year and has continued success, it's likely he will remain interested in the two year deal.

If "we" get to the playoffs, I could see him re-upping for a year or two to finish the job.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the biggest thing here is what kind of record the team finishes with that will ultimately decide his fate regarding this situation. If they can get to 10-6 or 11-5, and win the division then I see them offering him 2 more years and him definitely accepting. He is still a competitor, just like Favre, and would be too hard for him too hang them up if he still had some gas left in the tank. But, of course, this would only happen if they make it to that mark, I believe. But, if they were to finish at 7-9 or even 8-8 I think they will easily turn it on over to Leinart..

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I think the biggest thing here is what kind of record the team finishes with that will ultimately decide his fate regarding this situation. If they can get to 10-6 or 11-5, and win the division then I see them offering him 2 more years and him definitely accepting. He is still a competitor, just like Favre, and would be too hard for him too hang them up if he still had some gas left in the tank. But, of course, this would only happen if they make it to that mark, I believe. But, if they were to finish at 7-9 or even 8-8 I think they will easily turn it on over to Leinart..

This off-season will be crucial for the team in deciding what to do with Leinart. After next season, Leinart is due a $15M roster bonus for playing more than 20% of the snaps his rookie season.

If Warner keeps playing well and wants to come back for two more years, the Cards may be wise to trade Leinart, and get something for him, rather than have to release him after next year if they don't feel he warrants the $15M.

If I were the Cardinals, I would consider two things right now: (1) re-signing Brian St. Pierre to a new 3-4 year deal, so that he can be #2 to Warner as long as Warner is the starter, and take over for Warner when the time is right; (2) trade Leinart and get value for him.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This off-season will be crucial for the team in deciding what to do with Leinart. After next season, Leinart is due a $15M roster bonus for playing more than 20% of the snaps his rookie season.

If Warner keeps playing well and wants to come back for two more years, the Cards may be wise to trade Leinart, and get something for him, rather than have to release him after next year if they don't feel he warrants the $15M.

If I were the Cardinals, I would consider two things right now: (1) re-signing Brian St. Pierre to a new 3-4 year deal, so that he can be #2 to Warner as long as Warner is the starter, and take over for Warner when the time is right; (2) trade Leinart and get value for him.
Nope, you keep all 3 QB's, we have a good situation now. I still feel Leinart can be a great pro QB. We would be laughing stocks all over again if Leinart went on to better things without us.

As for Warner, another game like the Jet game and he's riding the pine.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

:hammer:Come on Mitch. Sign St. Pierre and trade #7. Are you kidding me. Although Leinart has yet to make the next step, he has more talent in his pinky finger than Brian.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22