Time to Go

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
What is up with the O-line.. This o-line has been the losing heel of this team the entire time the Russ Grime has been here. He is suppose to be this HOF lineman and an upcoming HC somewhere. Please GO!!!!.. We need to get a proven O-Line coach in here. We have had pretty much the same O-Line here during his tenture and they dont seem to be improving with his coaching. Find someone else to mode this O-Line and can show them how to run block, hold a block and not let our QB keep getting hit...

Time to GO!!!!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my one chief complaint with this team. Ever since Grimm got here the Oline has been a complete and utter disaster.. I watch a lot of football. Never seen a team get so many damn completely unblocked rushers with a free lane to the QB. Happens every game and all the time. yet we send the freaking house and it is ALWAYS picked up. It has to be the schemes and coaching it just has to be. UNREAL!

You see players looking at the guy in front of them and completely turn to the inside leaving them free to rush the passer as they hit or go after a guy that is already engaged by another OL. Makes no sense and that defender ends up with easiest sack of career. completely frustrating and I DO NOT SEE THE SAME ISSUES WITH OTHER TEAMS!

GRIMM MUST GO!

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is my one chief complaint with this team. Ever since Grimm got here the Oline has been a complete and utter disaster.

Challenge: Name the last time in the last 30 years the Cardinal O-line hasn't been a massive disappointment.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Challenge: Name the last time in the last 30 years the Cardinal O-line hasn't been a massive disappointment.

I'd say only 2009. Probably the first time in the last 30 years where the same guys started as the year before. 4.1 yards per carry rushing. 26 sacks. 156 yards rushing against Green Bay's #1 ranked rushing defense in round one of the playoffs.

Of course in the face of that success the Cards blow up the offensive line in 2010 and its back to disappointments. :bang:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Disappointment and disaster are not the same :)

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wonder how the payroll on the offensive line stacks up against the other parts of the team and against the other that of offensive lines on other teams. Other than Levi I am guessing that they are pretty cheap as a whole.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how the payroll on the offensive line stacks up against the other parts of the team and against the other that of offensive lines on other teams. Other than Levi I am guessing that they are pretty cheap as a whole.

Colledge is not cheap.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I'll look while I'm eating lunch.

Having trouble finding Sendlein's contract and haven't looked for Keith's but:

Hadnot 1.5 million salary 2.0 Cap
Bridges 1.4 and 1.75
Colledge 1.0 and 2.5
Brown 5.02 and 8.044

EDIT: Hard to find accurate numbers for NFL salaries. According to a couple of sites I visited Oline salaries are all over the place. For instance New Orleans is reported to be paying their Guards 5.6 million but not much for their tackles while Green Bay pays their tackles and C Scott Wells a bunch of money but not much for guards.

Looks like Keith is making 1.2 million on a one year deal.

Colledge btw has a 5 year deal reported at 27.5 million

Last edited:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score

When Joe Bugel was the Cards HC, he had the third best running game in the league. Had an O-line full of big road graders that Buddy Ryan promptly ran off as fatties who could not meet his physical requirements without so much as even giving them a chance to compete. Bugel went 8-8 his last year of his contract and was fired for not producing a winning record. By the way, he produced a pretty fair defense too. He may have done more with less than any coach the Cards have had since they moved here from St. Louis, (Whiz included). He certainly did not have the front office getting him talent that we have today, and he did not have a collective bargaining agreement that required the Cards to spend up to a designated salary floor.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
When Joe Bugel was the Cards HC, he had the third best running game in the league. Had an O-line full of big road graders that Buddy Ryan promptly ran off as fatties who could not meet his physical requirements without so much as even giving them a chance to compete. Bugel went 8-8 his last year of his contract and was fired for not producing a winning record. By the way, he produced a pretty fair defense too. He may have done more with less than any coach the Cards have had since they moved here from St. Louis, (Whiz included). He certainly did not have the front office getting him talent that we have today, and he did not have a collective bargaining agreement that required the Cards to spend up to a designated salary floor.

There was a bunch of offensive talent on Bugel's '93 team: Steve Buerelein, Chris Chandler, Larry Centers, Garrison Hearst, Johnny Bailey and Gary Clark all were selected to at least one pro bowl in their careers and they also had Ricky Proehl who only played 17 years in the NFL.

Too bad so few of those guys best years were in Arizona.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I remember this well. I thought at the time and I still think today that not keeping Bugel was a big mistake. As you say, he was able to do a lot with the talent he had.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of our problems at other positions stem from our weakness on the O-line - passing attack, run game, the amount of time the defense spends on the field, giveaways, injuries.

It's hard not to show respect for Russ Grimm's resume, but in all honesty - in terms of how our O-line's playing: What has he done lately?

We've tried "tweaking" since Wiz arrived on the scene, and tweaking hasn't done the job. I believe the only way to fix this is to throw more money and players than otherwise necessary at the problem, sort out the bodies and fix it for once and for all.

Last edited:

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd say only 2009. Probably the first time in the last 30 years where the same guys started as the year before. 4.1 yards per carry rushing. 26 sacks. 156 yards rushing against Green Bay's #1 ranked rushing defense in round one of the playoffs.

Of course in the face of that success the Cards blow up the offensive line in 2010 and its back to disappointments. :bang:
I'll agree to a point. I think the Warner was one of the best at reading the blitz and delivering the ball to the vacated point, diffusing a lot of pressure.
I also think the success of the pass, especially in '09, helped open holes late in the season. Edge had fresh legs to boot.

Disappointment and disaster are not the same :)
I think for the picks, the size, and the cash invested they've found a way to nimbly dance between the two places, but point taken. :D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'll agree to a point. I think the Warner was one of the best at reading the blitz and delivering the ball to the vacated point, diffusing a lot of pressure.
I also think the success of the pass, especially in '09, helped open holes late in the season. Edge had fresh legs to boot.

I think for the picks, the size, and the cash invested they've found a way to nimbly dance between the two places, but point taken. :D

Don't forget that Edge was gone in 2009 and the Cards offensive line allowed a 2nd year 5th round RB to average 4.2 ypc and a rookie to gain 4.5ypc. The highest average by the Cards main RBs since 2002 and only the 2nd time the Cards averaged over 4 yards per carry since 1993.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't forget that Edge was gone in 2009 and the Cards offensive line allowed a 2nd year 5th round RB to average 4.2 ypc and a rookie to gain 4.5ypc. The highest average by the Cards main RBs since 2002 and only the 2nd time the Cards averaged over 4 yards per carry since 1993.
First adding, now counting sequentially.
I've been corrected. They clearly did a nice job blocking as unit.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
First adding, now counting sequentially.
I've been corrected. They clearly did a nice job blocking as unit.

Sad isn't it that the Cards could only get to 4 yards per carry twice in 16 seasons.

I think the 2009 team was the best all-around and least same ol' Cardinals team the Arizona Cards have ever had. Not as successful in the post season as in '08 but just better all around. Didn't lose a single game to a team that ended '09 with a losing record, were 6-2 on the road and ranked in the top half of the NFL in both points scored and points allowed.

17 starters with 3 or more NFL seasons. Beanie and Timmy combined to rush for 1,391 yards. And just dismantled the vaunted Green Bay Defense in the playoffs. The Saints game wasn't what we wanted but that NO group was on fire and nobody was going to look good against them. Heck, they beat Manning and the Colts 31-17 in the SB.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
I don't think Grimm is going anywhere but I would love to see him fired. I am obviously not privy to the behind the scenes stuff but the results on the field have been shameful.

The Cards line has been a major weakness for this team throughout his entire tenure. This with a Hall of Fame O-line guru at the helm? What a joke! They literally could not get any worse so why not try something different?

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I think this is probably the only topic on the board that nobody would argue. Russ Grimm is Mean Joe's photo negative. Time to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05