• yes

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • no

Votes: 22 35.5%

• Total voters

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
With the Suns 3-5 with Shaq and falling from first to sixth in the West, do you think it's time to panic?

I voted no because as I have said before, it takes time to incorporate a new guy, especially of Shaq's caliber.

I think they can get to the fourth seed and get deep into the postseason with this current team. The offense is there, they just need to work on team defense.

The reason I ask is because I want to know the general consensus here. It seems as though the majority is proclaiming the Suns "done" already...

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If yer panicking over professional sports then you might want to find something else to occupy your time ;-)

Seriously, I fully expected them to play .500 their first 10-15gms after the trade. However, i expected them to play with energy, desire, urgency, commitment, etc. All of which they haven't shown since the Boston game; sans the Portland first half too.

This team has no heart or desire to carry them 48min right now. They have another 5-7 games to get things turned around and if they go 1-6 or 2-5 in those games you can pack it in... Book it.

Treat

Reaction score
With the Suns 3-5 with Shaq and falling from first to sixth in the West, do you think it's time to panic?

I voted no because as I have said before, it takes time to incorporate a new guy, especially of Shaq's caliber.

I think they can get to the fourth seed and get deep into the postseason with this current team. The offense is there, they just need to work on team defense.

The reason I ask is because I want to know the general consensus here. It seems as though the majority is proclaiming the Suns "done" already...

No offense but you're in SERIOUS denial. The time to panic was when Bynum abused Amare TWICE. Kerr hit the panic button and traded for Shaq.

And sorry, but a player of "Shaq's calibur" (at the least the Shaq from 5 years ago) does NOT take much time to incorporate. An unstoppable lowpost player is incorporated instantaneously with a trickle down effect of benefits to the rest of the team. You feed him the ball and watch him go to work. See the Magic, Lakers, and Heat reap the instant benefits for examples. The transition should be even easier on defense assuming he's actually a competent an anchor.

The problem is that Shaq is simply NOT that player anymore. And no amount of extra time is going to rectify this. If anything it's going to get worse next year as he'll be a year older, fatter, and slower.

The Suns COULD be a good defensive team if Dantoni wasn't such a negligent and stubborn idiot. But even then, the best defensive player just got traded for a huge has-been and total liability.

The time to panic was 3 months ago. If Suns management is smart, the time to rebuild is now. Unfortunately management looks like they're in even bigger denial and willing to drag out this "death" for another couple years before admitting defeat.

Last edited:

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
I voted no but ask Dantoni. He might be too scared to try something new. eg play more guys.

Chief

Reaction score
Every loss is serious right now...for every team in the west. Stop drinking the kool aid!

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And sorry, but a player of "Shaq's calibur" (at the least the Shaq from 5 years ago) does NOT take much time to incorporate. An unstoppable lowpost player is incorporated instantaneously with a trickle down effect of benefits to the rest of the team. You feed him the ball and watch him go to work. See the Magic, Lakers, and Heat reap the instant benefits for examples. The transition should be even easier on defense assuming he's actually a competent an anchor.

It does if you're a coach who can only coach one way.

The Suns COULD be a good defensive team if Dantoni wasn't such a negligent and stubborn idiot. But even then, the best defensive player just got traded for a huge has-been and total liability.

See, you got it! :)

The time to panic was 3 months ago. If Suns management is smart, the time to rebuild is now. Unfortunately management looks like they're in even bigger denial and willing to drag out this "death" for another couple years before admitting defeat.
It's really a shame that they traded KT and Jones so early when they didn't need to. They could have been traded at the deadline and maybe the Suns could have kept their own draft pick this year.

Knowing how tough the west is the Suns could have secretly tanked and potentially had TWO lottery picks.. Some wiser moves and they could have reloaded for another good run.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Funny how James Jones and KT are EXACTLY what the Suns were looking for this year. A big wing who can defend and hit the three. A center who can help Amare in the post and grab rebounds.

Though I do think Skinner is basically equal to Thomas.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
This loss isn't nearly as serious as people think, simply because of the way NBA scheduling works.

For instance (and this is just off the top of my head, without consulting the schedules in depth at all) has it occurred to anyone that the game tomorrow between Dallas and Houston will help the Suns, no matter who wins? It's absolutely true. And the schedules are littered with similar examples of Western Conference playoff seeds playing each other between now and the end of the season.

But sure, if we're going to act like reactionary bozos and pretend that it's the end of the world, then who am I to say otherwise?

There is enough food and water in my underground bunker to last 2 years for 14 people. Those 14 individuals will include myself and 4 other male Suns fans, and the remaining 9 people will all be comely females with whom we will repopulate the Earth once the "Suns lost to the Nuggets" radioactive dust settles.

If you play your cards right, you may just earn a spot in the bunker with me. If you're a doctor, a farmer, or possess some other skill that will be of use to the human race after the coming "Suns lost to the Nuggets" apocalypse, that will count in your favor. So, it's the end of the world after one game: Who's with me??

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This loss isn't nearly as serious as people think, simply because of the way NBA scheduling works.

For instance (and this is just off the top of my head, without consulting the schedules in depth at all) has it occurred to anyone that the game tomorrow between Dallas and Houston will help the Suns, no matter who wins? It's absolutely true. And the schedules are littered with similar examples of Western Conference playoff seeds playing each other between now and the end of the season.

It's not that the Suns are losing, but how they're losing that has ppl concerned. The effort just isn't there.

Like i said, they have 5-7 games left to get this thing going or you can pack it in.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
i voted yes.

shaq is doing everything we wanted him to do and we are STILL losing games. no more excuses, we're in deep trouble.we would have been better off with marion than we are now, imo.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
It's not that the Suns are losing, but how they're losing that has ppl concerned. The effort just isn't there.

Like i said, they have 5-7 games left to get this thing going or you can pack it in.

Please tell me that your average Suns fan is sophisticated enough to understand how easy it is for any NBA team to drop the second game of a back-to-back on the road. Please, please tell me that that is the case.

Also you're not getting into the bunker with that attitude! You'd better be a surgeon or an engineer or something. :)

cly2tw

Reaction score
Let me put it this way, our roster is good enough to win it all, our head coach's nostalgic clinging to run-n-gun half of the time and unwillingness to try more grinding-out styles is holding us back to get to the coherent game plan. So, either DA gives up his self-denial and committing to a coherent plan of making our bigs the focus of our offense or him being canned, we'd be back into contention for the title again. So, I'm not panicking yet.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Give me a break. We lose the 2nd half of a back-to-back IN DENVER of all places, and everyone is panicking? Come on.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
On the offensive end we have all the firepower we need.
But without defense this team is going nowhere. After the Shaq trade everybody agreed that we needed some additional perimeter defense. And now? We have another guy who can't spell defense in Giricek and a marginal role player (who is at least a good defender in Linton Johnson).
I am not really optimistic.
The bright spots? We have a lot of room to improve individually (Nash, Bell...) and as a team. Diaw looks a bit more consistent lately.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I'm not ready to panic anymore after the Nuggets game then I have been the last few games. Am I a bit worried? Sure. But the Nuggets game has not changed my opinion at all.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
No offense but you're in SERIOUS denial. The time to panic was when Bynum abused Amare TWICE. Kerr hit the panic button and traded for Shaq.

The problem is that Shaq is simply NOT that player anymore. And no amount of extra time is going to rectify this. If anything it's going to get worse next year as he'll be a year older, fatter, and slower.

Good points.

I agree on integrating Shaq. It should not take too long. And he is not properly used like Amare was not used.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Shaq has provided the size the Suns were missing.

Simply, the turn overs and lack of perimeter shooting and defense is what is hurting the team substantially.

As someone mentioned, James Jones can come really really handy right now, he was long and coud hit the 3. He was inconsistent last season, but this season with Shaq and Amare inside, he would contribute more.

Barbosa needs to be traded whilst his value is so high. He is one of the quickest players and has a massive winspan for his size, yet cannot guard a statue. He is all out offense and quiet frankly another shooter, defender in his place would help more.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaq has provided the size the Suns were missing.

Simply, the turn overs and lack of perimeter shooting and defense is what is hurting the team substantially.

As someone mentioned, James Jones can come really really handy right now, he was long and coud hit the 3. He was inconsistent last season, but this season with Shaq and Amare inside, he would contribute more.

Barbosa needs to be traded whilst his value is so high. He is one of the quickest players and has a massive winspan for his size, yet cannot guard a statue. He is all out offense and quiet frankly another shooter, defender in his place would help more.

Barbosa simply can't be traded. He has the best value/contract of anyone not still on their rookie contract.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
We have another guy who can't spell defense in Giricek

I disagree. Giricek has been great on defense in his games so far. He's really been hustling. He's even been a nagging enough defender to get cheap shots to the face, a la Raja Bell. ;)

wsupkid

Registered
Reaction score
As soon as Shaq can hit a hook, or a short jumper, or make it 2 feet to the basket without shooting the ball short or Mike D can change things up a bit I will be fine! It can still come together but it is time to panic. Time is running out! I did not say I gave up on them.
GO SUNS!:suns:

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Give me a break. We lose the 2nd half of a back-to-back IN DENVER of all places, and everyone is panicking? Come on.

I'm getting pretty tired of it myself. Specifically, I'm getting tired of the annoying Shaq haters and the fair weather "We're doomed!" talk following any loss.

I think I need a voluntary, self-imposed vacation from the forum to clear my head and address some of Mrs. BeeBeard's concerns. I'll see you gents Sunday for the Spurs game. Don't forget to set those clocks! :)

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I don't know if it is rational for any person to 'panic' about professional sports - especially when it is staged, as the NBA is (Boston gets better, Lakers make a trade that seems impossible, Stern turns a blind eye to Barry returning to the Spurs, Referees fix games, etc). The champion is predetermined, and the Suns haven't been on the inner circle to deserve a championship.

Relax folks, I am only kidding... or am I?

To Answer the question, the Nuggets game didn't increase my concern - nearly every game this season did. Take a look at the first half last night and the night before - the Suns have all the tools and mojo they need to run away from a team. However, once Nash gets tired the team loses itself. The defense doesn't exist. LB is a dribbling savant. Boris is a girl. Bell is a paper champion. Amare hates defense. These were issues before the trade, and don't seem to be changing anytime soon. BTW, the real problem is not personnel, it is coaching - or the lack thereof.

At the end of the day, the Suns are still my favorite team. Always will be. It will just sucks to see this every night.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05