- Joined
- May 8, 2002
- Posts
- 396,807
- Reaction score
- 43
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Boston Red Sox are embracing the added pressure that comes with playoff hopes as the 2025 Major League Baseball season is about to get underway. The Red Sox open with a four-game series at Texas starting on Thursday at 4:05 pm. After a three-game set at American League East opponent Baltimore, Boston will make its home debut against St. Louis on April 4.
Here are some thoughts on the upcoming season:
After taking some heat for a less-than-stellar offseason a year ago, the Red Sox front office was busy this winter, adding numerous impact players through free agency and trade.
The biggest addition was left-handed pitcher Garrett Crochet, who Boston acquired via trade with the Chicago White Sox. Crochet — tabbed as the Red Sox Opening Day starter — is a legitimate Cy Young Award candidate and instantly transforms Boston’s rotation into a strength.
Only 25 years old and headed toward his prime, Crochet joins a rotation that, when healthy, will include All-Star Tanner Houck, Lucas Giolito, former Los Angeles Dodger Walker Buehler, Brayan Bello and Kutter Crawford.
The Red Sox hope to weather the storm in the early going as Giolito (left hamstring strain), Bello (right shoulder inflammation) and Crawford (right patellar soreness) all recover from injuries. None is expected to miss significant time.
“I don’t really feel like I have anything to prove to anybody,” said Crochet, who finished 6-12 with a 3.58 ERA, 1.07 WHIP and 209 strikeouts last season. “I’m here to do whatever the team asks. I think I have the qualities to be one of the best pitchers in the league. Now, it’s on me to seize that moment.”
In addition to signing the right-handed Buehler to a one-year, $21.05 contract in December, the Red Sox added free agents Alex Bregman, the former Houston Astros’ Gold Glove third baseman, and All-Star closer Aroldis Chapman, who should factor into the backend of the bullpen along with right-handers Liam Hendriks and Justin Slaten.
Bregman, an All-Star and former World Series champion, signed right before spring training for three years and $120 million. Along with his elite fielding, he should add stability to a lineup that already includes star slugger Rafael Devers, All-Star Jarren Duran and Triston Casas.
“He brings a lot to the table,” Red Sox catcher Connor Wong said of Bregman. “It’s that playoff experience, the attitude he brings, his knowledge of the game. When he’s talking, a lot of us are all ears. We’re just trying to learn from him the best we can and follow his trail.”
Along with youngsters Bello, Duran, Casas, Ceddanne Rafaela and Wilyer Abreu — all of whom made significant big-league contributions in 2024 — the next crop of top-tier prospects are not far off.
Kristian Campbell, 22, could find himself as the Red Sox every-day second baseman this season, assuming Bregman plays third and Devers moves to designated hitter.
Roman Anthony, a 20-year-old outfielder, and shortstop Marcelo Mayer, 22, are expected to see time in the majors this season. Both are considered top-10 prospects in all of baseball.
Regardless of the team’s finish in 2025, the future looks bright for Boston in the coming years.
“The goal and the focus is how are we going to win 90-plus, 95 games, get into the postseason and be competitive,” Red Sox president Sam Kennedy said earlier this spring. “The goal is to get back to where we belong.”
With the Red Sox trying to build a team that can compete with the New York Yankees and Orioles in the tough A.L. East, players have been embracing the new, higher expectations all spring. Boston finished third in the division last year at 81-81 and missed the playoffs for a third consecutive season.
“Being on a team that has the opportunity to compete all across the league, but especially for the front of the division, is a very exciting thing,” Crochet said. “I definitely sense it in the clubhouse. There’s a hunger here that I haven’t experienced in a long time.”
Adding players such as Bregman and Buehler, both World Series champions, should help instill even more confidence within the team throughout the long grind of an MLB season.
“My expectations are all team based,” Buehler said. “I want to be part of our rotation, be healthy and help us win games and get to the playoffs and see what happens.
“Everyone in here is a professional baseball player. If you look at some of the veteran guys on this team, they’ve played in big spots. The new playoff format is all about getting in there and seeing where the dice lay out. For us to have the expectation of winning our division, as an organization, we should have every year.”
When the Red Sox signed Bregman, there was talk of him moving to second base and Devers retaining his third base position. However, given his defensive liabilities, things quickly shifted to moving Devers to first base or DH and leaving Bregman in his natural third-base role.
That didn’t sit well with Devers, who voiced his displeasure to reporters last month, saying that he would not switch positions or move to DH.
“I play third. It’s my position and I’m not going to change on a whim,” Devers said. “I’ve worked really hard on my defense throughout the years. It was definitely a surprise. I believe in people’s word and I take it to heart. I don’t think that was the right way to do business.”
With the 28-year-old Devers regarded as the team’s cornerstone player — he signed a 10-year contract extension in 2023 worth $313.5 million — manager Alex Cora and other members of the front office have tried their best to downplay any clubhouse drama.
“It’s not about Bregman or Devers or Cora. It’s about the Red Sox,” Cora said last month. “Whatever decision we make is for the benefit of the team. There’s competition here.”
Apparently, Devers has warmed to the idea of moving to DH, but who knows how long he will be happy in that role. If the team struggles early, or Bregman has a slip in his defensive prowess, it could lead to more vocal displeasure from Devers and possibly clubhouse turmoil.
After signing Giolito to a two-year contract prior to last season, the former White Sox ace suffered a right elbow injury and missed all of 2024 after having surgery. Now, he’s set to miss his first few starts this year while recovering from a hamstring strain.
Giolito, who was a member of the White Sox in 2020 when Crochet made his big-league debut, said earlier this spring that he felt good and his progression was on pace. By all indications, he should be back at some point in April.
With the injuries to Bello and Crawford, the Red Sox could be forced to piece together some good starts from other pitchers in the short term. The 28-year-old Houck — who finished 9-10 last season with a 3.12 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 154 strikeouts in 30 starts — is slated to pitch Friday against the Rangers, followed by Buehler on Saturday.
While Buehler said earlier this spring that his injury problems are in the past, only time will tell. The two-time All-Star has undergone two Tommy John surgeries, causing him to miss part of 2022 and all of 2023. Last year, he finished 1-6 with a 5.38 ERA and 1.55 WHIP in 16 starts.
“I would like to throw 180 or 200 innings,” Buehler said. “That’s kind of a big ask coming off how last season went. But late in the year, I felt more like myself and like I could do some of the things I’ve done for years. I’m hoping to get back to that.”
Boston signed left-handed pitcher and former Los Angeles Angeles starter Patrick Sandoval to a two-year deal in December, although he is currently recovering from a left UCL injury and won’t be available for several months.
Outfielder/DH Masataka Yoshida has been dealing with a right shoulder labrum tear and is expected back in late April or early May. He’ll likely begin the season at Triple-A Worcester.
Following a tough start to the season with series against the Rangers and Orioles, the Red Sox will play their next 20 games, including 14 at Fenway Park, against non-playoff teams from last season — St. Louis, Toronto, the White Sox, Tampa Bay, the White Sox again and then Seattle.
However, the easier competition ends there. Starting on May 9, Boston will get tested on a daily basis, beginning with back-to-back road series against Kansas City and Detroit, both surprise playoff teams last year.
The Red Sox then return home to face Atlanta, the New York Mets and Orioles, before hitting the road again to face Milwaukee and Atlanta. Boston plays the Yankees, last year’s World Series runner-up, in a three-game series from June 6-8 in the Bronx.
If the Red Sox hope hope to stay in contention, both in the division and playoff race, they’ll have to show they belong in the season’s opening months.
“We want expectations high because we all have high expectations for ourselves to go out there and win,” Houck said. “It’s just about putting all the pieces together at the right time.”
This article originally appeared on The Providence Journal: What to know about the revamped and upgraded 2025 Boston Red Sox
Continue reading...
Here are some thoughts on the upcoming season:
Here's what's good about the 2025 Red Sox
BULKED UP ROSTER
After taking some heat for a less-than-stellar offseason a year ago, the Red Sox front office was busy this winter, adding numerous impact players through free agency and trade.
You must be registered for see images attach
The biggest addition was left-handed pitcher Garrett Crochet, who Boston acquired via trade with the Chicago White Sox. Crochet — tabbed as the Red Sox Opening Day starter — is a legitimate Cy Young Award candidate and instantly transforms Boston’s rotation into a strength.
Only 25 years old and headed toward his prime, Crochet joins a rotation that, when healthy, will include All-Star Tanner Houck, Lucas Giolito, former Los Angeles Dodger Walker Buehler, Brayan Bello and Kutter Crawford.
The Red Sox hope to weather the storm in the early going as Giolito (left hamstring strain), Bello (right shoulder inflammation) and Crawford (right patellar soreness) all recover from injuries. None is expected to miss significant time.
“I don’t really feel like I have anything to prove to anybody,” said Crochet, who finished 6-12 with a 3.58 ERA, 1.07 WHIP and 209 strikeouts last season. “I’m here to do whatever the team asks. I think I have the qualities to be one of the best pitchers in the league. Now, it’s on me to seize that moment.”
In addition to signing the right-handed Buehler to a one-year, $21.05 contract in December, the Red Sox added free agents Alex Bregman, the former Houston Astros’ Gold Glove third baseman, and All-Star closer Aroldis Chapman, who should factor into the backend of the bullpen along with right-handers Liam Hendriks and Justin Slaten.
You must be registered for see images
Bregman, an All-Star and former World Series champion, signed right before spring training for three years and $120 million. Along with his elite fielding, he should add stability to a lineup that already includes star slugger Rafael Devers, All-Star Jarren Duran and Triston Casas.
“He brings a lot to the table,” Red Sox catcher Connor Wong said of Bregman. “It’s that playoff experience, the attitude he brings, his knowledge of the game. When he’s talking, a lot of us are all ears. We’re just trying to learn from him the best we can and follow his trail.”
YOUNG TALENT IN THE FOLD
Along with youngsters Bello, Duran, Casas, Ceddanne Rafaela and Wilyer Abreu — all of whom made significant big-league contributions in 2024 — the next crop of top-tier prospects are not far off.
You must be registered for see images
Kristian Campbell, 22, could find himself as the Red Sox every-day second baseman this season, assuming Bregman plays third and Devers moves to designated hitter.
Roman Anthony, a 20-year-old outfielder, and shortstop Marcelo Mayer, 22, are expected to see time in the majors this season. Both are considered top-10 prospects in all of baseball.
Regardless of the team’s finish in 2025, the future looks bright for Boston in the coming years.
“The goal and the focus is how are we going to win 90-plus, 95 games, get into the postseason and be competitive,” Red Sox president Sam Kennedy said earlier this spring. “The goal is to get back to where we belong.”
HUNGRY TO CONTEND
With the Red Sox trying to build a team that can compete with the New York Yankees and Orioles in the tough A.L. East, players have been embracing the new, higher expectations all spring. Boston finished third in the division last year at 81-81 and missed the playoffs for a third consecutive season.
“Being on a team that has the opportunity to compete all across the league, but especially for the front of the division, is a very exciting thing,” Crochet said. “I definitely sense it in the clubhouse. There’s a hunger here that I haven’t experienced in a long time.”
Adding players such as Bregman and Buehler, both World Series champions, should help instill even more confidence within the team throughout the long grind of an MLB season.
“My expectations are all team based,” Buehler said. “I want to be part of our rotation, be healthy and help us win games and get to the playoffs and see what happens.
“Everyone in here is a professional baseball player. If you look at some of the veteran guys on this team, they’ve played in big spots. The new playoff format is all about getting in there and seeing where the dice lay out. For us to have the expectation of winning our division, as an organization, we should have every year.”
Here's what's bad about the 2025 Red Sox
DISGRUNTLED CLUBHOUSE?
When the Red Sox signed Bregman, there was talk of him moving to second base and Devers retaining his third base position. However, given his defensive liabilities, things quickly shifted to moving Devers to first base or DH and leaving Bregman in his natural third-base role.
That didn’t sit well with Devers, who voiced his displeasure to reporters last month, saying that he would not switch positions or move to DH.
“I play third. It’s my position and I’m not going to change on a whim,” Devers said. “I’ve worked really hard on my defense throughout the years. It was definitely a surprise. I believe in people’s word and I take it to heart. I don’t think that was the right way to do business.”
With the 28-year-old Devers regarded as the team’s cornerstone player — he signed a 10-year contract extension in 2023 worth $313.5 million — manager Alex Cora and other members of the front office have tried their best to downplay any clubhouse drama.
“It’s not about Bregman or Devers or Cora. It’s about the Red Sox,” Cora said last month. “Whatever decision we make is for the benefit of the team. There’s competition here.”
Apparently, Devers has warmed to the idea of moving to DH, but who knows how long he will be happy in that role. If the team struggles early, or Bregman has a slip in his defensive prowess, it could lead to more vocal displeasure from Devers and possibly clubhouse turmoil.
INJURIES MOUNTING
After signing Giolito to a two-year contract prior to last season, the former White Sox ace suffered a right elbow injury and missed all of 2024 after having surgery. Now, he’s set to miss his first few starts this year while recovering from a hamstring strain.
Giolito, who was a member of the White Sox in 2020 when Crochet made his big-league debut, said earlier this spring that he felt good and his progression was on pace. By all indications, he should be back at some point in April.
With the injuries to Bello and Crawford, the Red Sox could be forced to piece together some good starts from other pitchers in the short term. The 28-year-old Houck — who finished 9-10 last season with a 3.12 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 154 strikeouts in 30 starts — is slated to pitch Friday against the Rangers, followed by Buehler on Saturday.
You must be registered for see images
While Buehler said earlier this spring that his injury problems are in the past, only time will tell. The two-time All-Star has undergone two Tommy John surgeries, causing him to miss part of 2022 and all of 2023. Last year, he finished 1-6 with a 5.38 ERA and 1.55 WHIP in 16 starts.
“I would like to throw 180 or 200 innings,” Buehler said. “That’s kind of a big ask coming off how last season went. But late in the year, I felt more like myself and like I could do some of the things I’ve done for years. I’m hoping to get back to that.”
Boston signed left-handed pitcher and former Los Angeles Angeles starter Patrick Sandoval to a two-year deal in December, although he is currently recovering from a left UCL injury and won’t be available for several months.
Outfielder/DH Masataka Yoshida has been dealing with a right shoulder labrum tear and is expected back in late April or early May. He’ll likely begin the season at Triple-A Worcester.
GRUELING STRETCH AHEAD
Following a tough start to the season with series against the Rangers and Orioles, the Red Sox will play their next 20 games, including 14 at Fenway Park, against non-playoff teams from last season — St. Louis, Toronto, the White Sox, Tampa Bay, the White Sox again and then Seattle.
However, the easier competition ends there. Starting on May 9, Boston will get tested on a daily basis, beginning with back-to-back road series against Kansas City and Detroit, both surprise playoff teams last year.
The Red Sox then return home to face Atlanta, the New York Mets and Orioles, before hitting the road again to face Milwaukee and Atlanta. Boston plays the Yankees, last year’s World Series runner-up, in a three-game series from June 6-8 in the Bronx.
If the Red Sox hope hope to stay in contention, both in the division and playoff race, they’ll have to show they belong in the season’s opening months.
“We want expectations high because we all have high expectations for ourselves to go out there and win,” Houck said. “It’s just about putting all the pieces together at the right time.”
You must be registered for see images attach
This article originally appeared on The Providence Journal: What to know about the revamped and upgraded 2025 Boston Red Sox
Continue reading...