Todd McShay ESPN Mock draft has us taking.....

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We need to draft the player that we are most sure will be able to bring his game to the NFL no matter what position except for punter, kicker and maybe QB. Just like we did with Larry Fitzgerald. Reaching for a player because that's what we need (Wendell Bryant) is what has given us many years of mediocre football. That said, I don't feel that Stewert or Mendenhall would be a reach. I do think that Harvey and Campbell would be reaches.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm fine with that, but I've yet to find the pick that'll get me riled up.

I suppose that will happen on draft day.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Ugh. McShay sux ass.

He says Stewart might provide a boost as a kick returner. What the hell happened to Steve Breaston?

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
all teams draft for need in the first 2 rounds. There wasn't ONE team that didn't draft based on need #1, not one.

say BPA all you want, but that's not how it works.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
all teams draft for need in the first 2 rounds. There wasn't ONE team that didn't draft based on need #1, not one.

The Vikings did not need to draft AP when they already had Taylor.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. McShay sux ass.

He says Stewart might provide a boost as a kick returner. What the hell happened to Steve Breaston?

Try to keep up we had to include Breaston in the trade for free agent Michael Turner.

:D

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

- The Detroit Lions drafted Calvin Johnson even though they had Roy Williams, Mike Furrey & Shaun McDonald.
- The Washington Redskins drafted LeRon Landry even though they already had 3 first rounders in their secondary and "needed" a receiver.
- The Vikings drafted AP, as was posted earlier.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score

2. Calvin Johnson, WR, Detroit.
6. LeRon Landry, S, Washington.
7. Adrian Peterson, RB, Minnesota.
10. Amobi Okoye, DT, Houston. (You don't pick a 20-year old DT here planning on starting him immediately due to NEED.)

That's in the top 10. Other teams in the top 10 had so many needs, that most likely they can find the "BPA" that fits a need.

I don't know enough about other teams to analyze the rest of the first, but Anthony Gonzales at the end of the first to Indy certainly is not a need pick.

In the second round, we traded up for Alan Branch. Because we had him rated as a first rounder. We didn't trade up for that due to need, it was due to talent.

QB is about the only exception to "need" drafting.

Last edited:

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
- The Detroit Lions drafted Calvin Johnson even though they had Roy Williams, Mike Furrey & Shaun McDonald.
- The Washington Redskins drafted LeRon Landry even though they already had 3 first rounders in their secondary and "needed" a receiver.

You beat me!

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dont forget that the Rayduhs wasted a pick on Jamarcus Russell when they already possessed greatness in Josh McCown.

On a serious note, he doesn't apply to BPA or need, so what do we blame for Miami taking Ginn??

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score

It should be a balancing act, all teams have more than 1 "need" and must draft the most talented player that fits one of those needs. A good young RB is a need for the Cards, though at this time not as big as some things on defense but if he is BPA and fits any need its better than not BPA and fits the biggest need.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are going to see a lot of mock drafts for the next three plus months until the actual draft. IMO the Cards will draft a RB on day one. ( I think its still 3 rounds for day one.) The good news is that the draft is exceptionally deep in RBs especially juniors that came out. Hopefully our college scouting team finds the right one for us.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
We are going to see a lot of mock drafts for the next three plus months until the actual draft. IMO the Cards will draft a RB on day one. ( I think its still 3 rounds for day one.) The good news is that the draft is exceptionally deep in RBs especially juniors that came out. Hopefully our college scouting team finds the right one for us.

Day one is only two rounds now.

spanky1

Reaction score
They said we needed a DT.....if we were to draft a DT with any of our picks I'd scream bloody blue murder. IMO it is one position that we don't need to address this year.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They said we needed a DT.....if we were to draft a DT with any of our picks I'd scream bloody blue murder. IMO it is one position that we don't need to address this year.

I think that some would argue that we need another 3-4 DE as an upgrade over Antonio Smith (who is also a free agent after this season)--not to mention accumulating some depth at the position. It's not unusual for 3-4 DEs to be drafted as DTs. For example: http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft05/tracker/team?team=sdg

San Diego listed Luis Castillo as a DT, even though he plays (and was drafted to play) the 3-4 DE position in San Deigo's 3-4 alignment. That same year, Houston drafted Travis Johnson (DT, FL St.) to play DE in their 3-4 alignment (that didn't really work out for them, and it may have ruined Johnson's career).

One more example: http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/patriots.html The New England Patriots drafted both Ty Warren and Richard Seymour as DTs, even though they fill out their first-round DL, alongside Vince Wilfork.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wow. And how have those genius BPA picks affected those teams' won-loss records? Hmmm. Got to look long and hard at it. Hmm. Maybe the future will show better results for all those teams.

BPA is a myth. Except at the QB position.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This McShay guy is out of his frickin mind.. He doesnt even project Cason in the 1st round????

I spit on you McShay! Spit on you!

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow. And how have those genius BPA picks affected those teams' won-loss records? Hmmm. Got to look long and hard at it. Hmm. Maybe the future will show better results for all those teams.
Well, the Lions went from 3-13 to 7-9. The Vikings went from 6-10 to 8-8 just missing the playoffs. The Redskins went from 5-11 to 9-7 and in the playoffs.

BPA is a myth. Except at the QB position.
Best Player is a myth? Then why did we draft Larry Fitzgerald when we needed a RB, OLinemen, LBs and DBs? And do you think that we made a mistake by drafting Fitzgerald?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
BPA is a myth.
I would have to agree that there isn't usually a player that stands out as THE best player. But there is usually levels of players. My idea of BPA is at least trying to find the best player and, yes, need should be a factor. Don't take a player that has no business being drafted at that spot like Calvin Pace. Yes, he's FINALLY turned out to be a nice player but even last year wasn't worthy of the #18 pick in the draft.

I would rather draft a WR (not saying that I think there is one) this year who is worthy of the pick and plays well than draft a OLB/DE because we need it only to have him ride the bench for four years and become a decent role player in his fifth year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Best Player is a myth? Then why did we draft Larry Fitzgerald when we needed a RB, OLinemen, LBs and DBs? And do you think that we made a mistake by drafting Fitzgerald?

We drafted Fitzgerald because his dad was Denny's good buddy. In 2004 the Cardinals had glaring holes at every position except SS and one WR. From the players listed as starters in 2003 only Boldin, Pace and Wilson are still starters. Anybody would have been a need selection.

Contrast that with this year. For once the Cards don't have their usual glaring hole to fill, at least not yet. They can draft for the future or to improve the talent at one of several positions. It will be interesting to see how they handle that in April.