Trade for Pacers' Jones is expected by end of week

darkangel2050

Reaction score
Trade for Pacers' Jones is expected by end of week

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 24, 2005 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]There likely will be a new Suns player by the end of the week.

That would have figured to be Scott Padgett or Michael Finley not too long ago, but Padgett is waffling a little and Finley is still pondering. In the meantime, Phoenix is poised to bring on 24-year-old Indiana swingman James Jones in a sign-and-trade deal that should be completed this week.

The trade is awaiting Joe Johnson's physical in Atlanta, which must be done by Saturday to consummate that sign-and-trade deal. Part of the Johnson deal includes a $6 million trade exception for Phoenix, which will use part of it to acquire Jones. [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The Pacers have a full roster and want to lower their luxury tax-burdened payroll. That makes a trade involving a draft pick, rather than a Suns player, more plausible. Jones was a 2003 second-round pick (No. 49) who did not play as a rookie and averaged 4.9 points and 2.3 rebounds last season, so the deal might require the Suns to surrender only a second-round choice.

"I'm a big Jones supporter," said Suns guard Raja Bell, a fellow Miami prep product who played with Jones in the summers. "Every year, he gets better. I think he can fit right into the system because he plays different positions, shoots the ball well and runs well."

Jones played center in his high school days, setting him up for a versatile future. Indiana's suspensions and injuries led to Jones going from scrub time to a major role, including 24 starts, last season. He played shooting guard, small forward and power forward.

Jones, who is 6 feet 8, 220 pounds, hit 39.8 percent of his three-pointers but only 39.6 percent of all his shots. His maturity and basketball IQ drew raves from the Pacers staff.

[/font]
Padgett problems

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Jones' role might be expanding before he even signs, now that Padgett is not sure about joining Phoenix anymore. Padgett, a free agent who played for Houston last season, figured to be the versatile shooter the Suns like to use at power forward and also as a wing.

Padgett, 29, told a Houston television station and the Louisville Courier-Journal this month that he would sign with the Suns. The 6-9 forward said he had hoped to play in a style that was reminiscent of his Kentucky days.

The Suns would give him a two-year contract starting at his veteran's minimum salary (more than $900,000 for his six NBA seasons). Since he and the Suns came to terms, Phoenix's pursuit of Finley and Jones may have prompted Padgett to consider other offers.

"I'm hoping to have something done by the middle of the week," Padgett told The (Henderson, Ky.) Gleaner this week. "I'm talking to three or four different teams. The most serious are the Suns and the Clippers. There's a major difference in money between the two, but there's a major difference in winning between the two."

[/font]
Not Finley's element

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]This is a most unsettling spot for Finley. He has been thrust into one of the NBA's biggest, most drawn out summer story lines. Because of a one-time amnesty waiver rule, Finley became available and is being treated like a blue-chip recruit.

"He's a private guy," Finley's agent, Henry Thomas, said. "He doesn't crave the spotlight. He doesn't need the bells and pony show. He's been around. He didn't think it was necessary to (go city to city). He's a nuts-and-bolts guy."[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0824sunsnb0824.html[/font]

fordronken

Reaction score
Does anyone else find it strange that the Hawks had a press conference before they gave him a physical? I mean, at this point, if he failed it, could the Hawks even stomache rejecting him? How severe would it have to be? Why didn't they just waive it so that they wouldn't have to make the Suns wait longer until they could do something. Seriously, somebody in Atlanta can't call a doctor? The Suns have been tied up by the Hawks' incompetence for weeks and now they can't even schedule a physical over the last six days?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be really funny if JJ couldn't pass his physical after all the drama that's gone on since the trade? Especially if we could resign him for $50 million at this late date if Atlanta would actually void the trade if he failed his physical! :biglaugh:

I know the above is a pipe dream, but I would LMAO, if it actually happened! How bad would JJ and Atlanta look after all that? :shrug: :D

PetryJr

Registered
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Wouldn't it be really funny if JJ couldn't pass his physical after all the drama that's gone on since the trade? Especially if we could resign him for $50 million at this late date if Atlanta would actually void the trade if he failed his physical! :biglaugh:

I know the above is a pipe dream, but I would LMAO, if it actually happened! How bad would JJ and Atlanta look after all that? :shrug: :D

:biglaugh:

elindholm, sometimes you crack me up.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Does failing a physical also void the fact that we've already signed him to a 5 year, 70 million dollar contract? I assume it would.

Kolo

Reaction score
Mike Tulemello reported in this morning's Tribune that the Suns are expected to trade about $2 million from their trade exception to complete the deal--but no speculation regarding draft picks or players also going to Indiana.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
elindholm said:

:thumbup: Saved me some work! :D Great minds think alike! :p

Elindholm, can we get SweetD or Joe Mama to sticky our post! It seems really important. I think EVERYONE needs to see it! :thumbup:

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake