TSN latest mock has DT Wilfork moving way up.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is more like it. DT Wilfork has moved up to #4. I hope we take him at #3 since we won't have the guts to select Philip Rivers.

MOCK DRAFT: ROUND 1
PICK TEAM PLAYER POS SCHOOL

1 (1) Chargers Larry Fitzgerald* WR Pitt
Doug Flutie's return may point to the drafting of a quarterback with Flutie again as the mentor and Drew Brees on the outs, but we still see Fitzgerald going here. Stay tuned for workout results from the Pro Days from USC and Pittsburgh, however, to see if Mike Williams can move ahead of Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald is the complete package. A downfield threat with great acceleration, size, reach, hand-eye coordination and body control, he also has great character, a more valuable trait after the recent concerns with Keyshawn Johnson, Terrell Owens and Randy Moss.

2 (2) Raiders Robert Gallery T Iowa
Unless a team jumps in here to take Eli Manning, the Raiders won't be able to trade down. The Raiders' line needs an overhaul, and Gallery is a dominant left tackle. He is neither as big nor as strong as Arkansas' Shawn Andrews, but is the better athlete.

3 (3) Cardinals Eli Manning QB Ole Miss
Dennis Green will be tempted to trade up to get Fitzgerald, which may be San Diego's plan. If not, it's Manning all the way. Green will not pass on Manning despite his public support of Josh McCown. The Cards need a marquee player for their new stadium. Green has a track record of getting young QBs to perform well early (see Daunte Culpepper). Manning, Anquan Boldin and Bryant Johnson are the perfect personnel with whom to implement the West Coast.

4 (4) Giants Vince Wilfork* DT Miami (FL)
The Giants' inability to sign Rod Coleman after a bidding war with the Falcons underscores their plan to add a defensive tackle. Tom Coughlin wants to put his signature on the team, and Vince Wilfork would provide a needed two-gap player for a potential switch to the 3-4. Quick, active and strong at the point of attack, Wilfork excels at controlling the line and is athletic enough to shine as an interior pass rusher. With Keith Hamilton retiring and Cornelius Griffin leaving, Wilfork could become part of Coughlin's foundation.

5 (5) Redskins Mike Williams* WR USC
The team addressed its most pressing needs by signing Griffin, defensive end Phillip Daniels, cornerback Shawn Springs and linebacker Marcus Washington. The Redskins would be thrilled if Williams falls into their lap -- he would top off their offensive overhaul, joining Clinton Portis, Mark Brunell and Laveranues Coles. If the linemen play to their potential, their offense could be dominant.

6 (6) Lions Kellen Winslow Jr.* TE Miami (FL)
There is no way the Lions pass on Winslow, the perfect addition to coach Steve Mariucci's West Coast offense. Winslow would stretch the middle of the field for Joey Harrington and take some pressure off Charles Rogers. Winslow, who continues to get bigger and stronger, is both a fierce blocker and this class' best pass-catching tight end.

7 (7) Browns Sean Taylor* S Miami (FL)
With Gallery and Winslow off the board, the Browns would take Taylor. This assumes he improves on his poor Feb. 28 workout; he ran a disappointing 4.53 40-yard dash and appeared out of shape. Interested teams certainly would return to Miami for another workout in late March or early April.

8 (8) Falcons Tommie Harris* DT Oklahoma
With the team's return to a 4-3, the Falcons need someone of Harris' caliber. He didn't have a monster junior season because of constant double- and triple-team attention, but he has awesome NFL potential and should contribute immediately. Harris has the explosion, quickness and speed to penetrate and make big plays.

9 (9) Jaguars Kenechi Udeze* DE USC
With the release of Tony Brackens and the disappointing play of Hugh Douglas, Jacksonville must address end early. The jury's still out on Udeze as a top-10 pick, but the Jaguars may reach for him here.

10 (10) Texans Randy Starks* DT Maryland
Starks dominated in the Terps' 3-4, and he has the athleticism, initial quickness, size and power to shine in Houston's two-gap scheme. Even with the signing of end Robaire Smith, the team still could go with Starks. Nose tackle Seth Payne, recovering from a torn ACL, could be the odd man out. Starks, Smith and Gary Walker would form a significantly upgraded front.

11 (11) Steelers DeAngelo Hall* CB Va. Tech
The Steelers are desperate for help at cornerback and offensive tackle. They could take Hall here to replace Dewayne Washington and address tackle later in the draft or with a free agent. Hall ran a blazing 4.35 40 at the Combine. A shutdown man-to-man corner, he is both confident and tested and should be ready to start as a rookie.

12 (12) Jets Roy Williams WR Texas
With the signings of cornerback David Barrett and linebacker Eric Barton and the trade for wide receiver Justin McCareins (which cost them the No. 42 overall pick), the Jets addressed their primary needs. Williams will complete the rebuilding. After working hard in the weight room for the first time in his career, he stayed healthy as a senior, avoided the hamstring injuries that bothered him in the past and looked sharper than ever. He has excellent size, speed, hands and run-after-catch skills.

13 (13) Bills Ben Roethlisberger* QB Miami (O.)
Roethlisberger could go in the top five -- if a QB-needy team trades up -- or fall to the middle of the round because most teams in the top 12 already have young passers. The Bills would be lucky to get Roethlisberger as the heir apparent to short-timer Drew Bledsoe.
14 (14) Bears Shawn Andrews* T Arkansas
With the addition of running back Thomas Jones, the team can address its hobbled and disjointed offensive line. Right tackle Marc Colombo is recovering from a knee injury, and the coaches would prefer to move left tackle Mike Gandy back to guard. Andrews is more dominant than Gallery, but character, weight and durability issues will cause him to drop. Massive with great strength, Andrews thrives as a run blocker and shows the footwork to excel in pass protection.
15 (15) Buccaneers Will Smith DE Ohio St.
Smith has terrific size, quickness, power and speed. He is this class' best all-around end, experienced and mature enough to start as a rookie. Smith will be a great complement to the pass-rushing force of Simeon Rice.
16 (16) 49ers Reggie Williams* WR Wash.
The team traded Owens and likely will lose Tai Streets, so Williams would be a lock pick. There is some concern about Williams' speed (4.50), but he looks fast enough on film. Otherwise, he is the complete package -- size, hands and playmaking flair -- to quickly develop into a No. 1 NFL receiver.
17 (17) Bengals Chris Gamble* CB Ohio St.
Gamble, the draft's most athletic corner, must improve his route-recognition skills before becoming a starter. He would be a great fit for the Bengals, who are looking to sign a veteran free agent but still need depth at the position.
18 (18) Saints Dunta Robinson CB S. Carolina
Fred Thomas, Dale Carter and Ashley Ambrose all are on the downsides of their careers. Robinson has good size, strength and tackling skills. He moved from free safety to corner as a senior and continues to improve in coverage. Tough, aggressive and physical, he can jam receivers and hold up well in run support. He ran a 4.34 40 at the Combine and may be the draft's fastest prospect.
19 (19) Vikings D.J. Williams OLB Miami (FL)
The Vikings must upgrade outside to complement middle linebacker E.J. Henderson. Williams, an explosive playmaker, could start as a rookie. With him on the weak side, the team could move Chris Claiborne to the strong side. Williams, a former running back, continues to get bigger and stronger. He flies on the blitz, is athletic in coverage and few can match his range against the run.
20 (20) Dolphins Vernon Carey G Miami (FL)
With A.J. Feeley in the fold, the Dolphins can work to address glaring needs on the offensive line and at wide receiver. Carey has great experience, size, strength and versatility. While scouts say he can move to tackle, he fits best at guard and could start there as a rookie.
21 (21) Patriots Steven Jackson* RB Oregon St.
(from Baltimore) The Patriots will look at offensive linemen, running backs and linebackers with their two first-round picks. If Jackson falls this far, this is a no-brainer. He would provide the explosiveness and versatility missing in their offense. Jackson isn't as fast as Virginia Tech's Kevin Jones, but is both bigger and stronger with proven hands. If Jackson runs in the low 4.5s in personal workouts, he likely will get drafted higher.
22 (22) Cowboys Kevin Jones* RB Va. Tech
The Cowboys might consider a defensive end here but would be ecstatic to get Jones. Chris Perry is closer to coach Bill Parcells' prototype -- a tough inside runner with proven hands -- but Jones is the better all-around back with more explosiveness. He also is big and strong enough to carry a heavy load.
23 (23) Seahawks Jonathan Vilma ILB Miami (FL)
The Seahawks would prefer a defensive tackle, but the legitimate first-rounders (Harris, Wilfork, Starks) should be off the board. If Seattle doesn't trade up, the likely pick will be a linebacker. Vilma lacks great size (6-0 1/2, 233) but is a top-15 prospect who could develop into a dominant NFL defender. He is athletic and instinctive and could replace Randall Godfrey in the middle.
24 (24) Broncos Karlos Dansby OLB Auburn
The Broncos aren't sure of the health of Ian Gold and have let him test the free-agent market. Chances are Gold will leave and the Broncos will fill the gap with Dansby. Dansby is active against the run, has ideal pass-rush speed, shows athleticism in coverage, and has the versatility to play all three linebacker positions.
25 (25) Packers Lee Evans WR Wis.
Philip Rivers would be the popular pick to succeed Brett Favre, but the Packers should focus on immediate needs. Our sources say the team will address defensive line, cornerback and safety with free agents, leaving wide receiver as the biggest draft need. Evans ran a 4.37 40 at the Combine and appears to be 100 percent recovered from blowing out his left knee in spring '02.
26 (26) Rams Ben Troupe TE Florida
The Rams' high-scoring offense never has had an elite receiving tight end. Winslow is the better blocker, but Troupe isn't far behind Winslow as a receiver.
27 (27) Titans Donnell Washington* DT Clemson
With the free-agent departures of Robaire Smith and Jevon Kearse, defensive line will be the theme of the Titans' draft. Washington is a boom-or-bust prospect, but he has rare physical skills.
28 (28) Eagles Michael Clayton* WR LSU
With their loss in the Owens sweepstakes, the Eagles will again try to find a go-to playmaker. Clayton, intelligent and tough, is a complete receiver who could start as a rookie.
29 (29) Colts Will Poole CB USC
Colts GM Bill Polian and director of football operations Dom Anile, both native New Yorkers, will love this super-athletic Queens product. Poole has good size, nice speed and exceptional ball skills. He also is physical and mixes it up against the run. His talent is perfect for Tony Dungy's cover 2.
30 (30) Chiefs Philip Rivers QB NC State
Rivers, with strong Senior Bowl workouts, has disproved scouts' concerns about his funky throwing motion. He could go higher, depending on trades, as the clear-cut No. 3 QB in this class. The Chiefs could groom Rivers to replace Trent Green in a couple of years.
31 (31) Panthers Derrick Strait CB Oklahoma
Corner is a big need for the Panthers with both Terry Cousin and Reggie Howard not returning, and Strait would be a great value here. He must improve in man-to-man but has the size, speed, strength, toughness and quickness to become a terrific starter.
32 (32) Patriots Nat Dorsey* T Georgia Tech
If the Patriots draft Jackson at No. 21, they would take an offensive lineman here. Only Gallery and Andrews are better prospects than Dorsey.

spanky1

Reaction score
I disagree altogether with you here skkorp......we wouldn't take Wilfork this high, although we would look at him at #7 should we trade down.

There are some excellent options DT wise at #33. I would be very happy with Marcus Tubbs or Igor OShansky in the 2nd, maybe even Donnell Washington.

BTW, it wouldn't take guts to draft Rivers at #3, it would take NO BRAINS. Are you serious about this? This is the second time I've read you promoting Rivers with our 1st round pick. This just compute at all with me....can you elaborate as to why you think this would make sense?

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Again the media takes a shot at Moss. WHAT concerns. Moss have never said or done the things Meyshawn and TO have done. Why tos him in there with those 2 bums? Guess who was a mentor to Fitz when he was a young ball boy... MOSS!
Guess who is still with his original team and phoning FAs to come to that team. MOSS! The media never lets the facts get in the way of a good story.

I liked Wilfork last year. I think the kid has got the tools to be a legit 2 gapper. A slight risk but I think he is worth a shot if a team needs a 2 gapper.

In general I think TSN is weak on their mocks but their player analysis is excellent.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Manning won't be there at #3. Chargers will take him. I do like Wilfork but not that in top 5.

OP
OP
Skkorpion

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spanky, I don't give two craps where the gurus have ranked these players. As Jeff Gollin emphasizes, trust your own eyeballs.

These are the players I think will be great pros, barring injury, in order of importance:

1. QB Philip Rivers
2. OT Gallery
3. DT Wilfork
4. DE Udeze
5. RB Jackson
6. WR Reggie Williams

That's the top of my Cards board.

Sean Taylor would not be in my top ten. He doesn't hit like Roy Williams and he's got the wonderlik score of a cabbage.

The other way overrated player is TE Kellen Winslow. Another Miami mensa member with an attitude but this player played average ball. Most Miami players played big in college. Winslow just talked big.

spanky1

Reaction score
skkorp,

I also trust my own eyeballs and do not rely strictly on the written word from the "guru's. I agree, Rivers will be a solid QB at the pro level, but will not warrant a top 10 pick.

I watched him live and in person on four occasions this past year and on another two on the tube........and while I have no concerns about his arm nor his ability to throw in his unorthodox manner .......he is no way, no how going to be drafted in the top 10.....and I would suggest he'll fall somewhere between 15-18.

I'm also thinking that while he is closing the gap on Roesthlisberger, it is only because Ben hasn't worked out yet. I project Roesthlisberger to fall in and around 10-15.

Udeze will be a solid DE at the pro level....but isn't in the "elite" group of premier choices.......if it were not for the fact that it is a very weak draft class for DE's, he might not go as high as he will.........in my humble opinion, Marquise Hill is the premier DE of this draft class and will be the one to enjoy a better pro career than either Udeze or Will Smith.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
Spanky, I don't give two craps where the gurus have ranked these players. As Jeff Gollin emphasizes, trust your own eyeballs.

These are the players I think will be great pros, barring injury, in order of importance:

1. QB Philip Rivers
2. OT Gallery
3. DT Wilfork
4. DE Udeze
5. RB Jackson
6. WR Reggie Williams

Sean Taylor would not be in my top ten. He doesn't hit like Roy Williams and he's got the wonderlik score of a cabbage.

The other way overrated player is TE Kellen Winslow. Another Miami mensa member with an attitude but this player played average ball. Most Miami players played big in college. Winslow just talked big.

You should hold on to this Skkorp you have some pretty wild idea :) I do agree with you on Winslow. Why do you think Reggie Williams will be the best wide receiver? The only two I see in your top six that I would call "prime" are Gallery and Wilfork...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. QB Philip Rivers
2. OT Gallery
3. DT Wilfork
4. DE Udeze
5. RB Jackson
6. WR Reggie Williams

Skkorp, I think you're a pretty smart guy because you agree with me on some of the top players. Especially Jackson and Reggie Williams who are underrated right now IMO.

For me, Udeze and Wilfork are the two hardest to get a handle on as to how they will do in the pros. With those two guys, I think it's going to depend on how much they want to be "great" players after they bank that big bonus check. They are so physically talented, they can actually coast (just a bit) and keep pulling down nice checks for several years.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
the one and biggest thing that makes me believe that Wilfork will be a great pro is the fact that he would have been and was projected by draft gurus as the early leader in the DT class and was projected in early mocks to be a top 5 pick last year as well if he came out. His consistency and production is what I like the most about him. I am very leary of guys that have only one good year, like Palmer last year, and Clarrett this year.

OP
OP
Skkorpion

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SunCardfan
You should hold on to this Skkorp you have some pretty wild idea :) I do agree with you on Winslow. Why do you think Reggie Williams will be the best wide receiver? The only two I see in your top six that I would call "prime" are Gallery and Wilfork...

SunCard, because Reggie Williams is the only WR in this draft without a weakness.

He's a young David Boston before the steroids and without the attitude. Faster than Fitz or Mike Williams, tall at 6'3" plus, heavier than every other Wr at 229 lbs, great hands, great route runner, very good blocker, and he just makes plays.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

1. QB Philip Rivers
2. OT Gallery
3. DT Wilfork
4. DE Udeze
5. RB Jackson
6. WR Reggie Williams

I trust my eyeballs, and after watching Mike Williams, Reggie Williams and Larry Fitzgerald for the last 3 with Reggie, and the last two with Mike and Larry, I don't know how you could say that Reggie is better than the other two. Reggie is quite good, but Mike and Larry are the ones who dominated basically every game I watched. Mike Williams catches everything thrown at him. Larry makes the most impossible catches. I take Mike or Larry.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1. QB Philip Rivers
2. OT Gallery
3. DT Wilfork
4. DE Udeze
5. RB Jackson
6. WR Reggie Williams

I agree wholeheartedly on the top 4 (man I want Udeze bad but it will not likely happen). Jackson makes me nervous but it is hard to argue with his ability. I think for RBs I would prefer any of the 3 Jones RBs coming (Kevin, Greg or Julius).

Rivers is solid. He may not be the best QB coming into the draft but it wouldn;t surprise me at all if he ended up with the best overall career of them all. I really like REivers alot...both on the field and off the field. Excellent player and excellent citizen.

Wilfork is going to be one of those kind of rare DTs that come along every now and then that just blows it open. I think Sapp was a guy like that and I think Wilfork is a guy like that...but I think Wilfork will be better on the field and less cantankerous off the field.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
I agree wholeheartedly on the top 4 (man I want Udeze bad but it will not likely happen). Jackson makes me nervous but it is hard to argue with his ability. I think for RBs I would prefer any of the 3 Jones RBs coming (Kevin, Greg or Julius).

Rivers is solid. He may not be the best QB coming into the draft but it wouldn;t surprise me at all if he ended up with the best overall career of them all. I really like REivers alot...both on the field and off the field. Excellent player and excellent citizen.

Wilfork is going to be one of those kind of rare DTs that come along every now and then that just blows it open. I think Sapp was a guy like that and I think Wilfork is a guy like that...but I think Wilfork will be better on the field and less cantankerous off the field.

Better than Sapp on the field?! How many have been better than Sapp over the years? The only one I can think of is Eric Swann and he didn't last near as long. If that were true we should definitely pick him! But I doubt it is...

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by SunCardfan
Better than Sapp on the field?! How many have been better than Sapp over the years? The only one I can think of is Eric Swann and he didn't last near as long. If that were true we should definitely pick him! But I doubt it is...

Without the injuries Swann is way above head and shoulders better than Sapp IMO.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If TSN is now projecting Wilfork to go at #4, it's a situation worth monitoring (We may be witnessing something reflecting new info one writer latched onto first. If we suddently see a bevy of other so-called "gurus" leaping on the Wilfork bandwagon, we'll know that there's some substance to TSN's projections.

But in the absence of anything else that's crossed my radar screen as I troll around trying to glom more information and intelligence, I don't think Wilfork will go as high as #4 (and maybe not even in the top 10).

Then again, who would have thunk that Sullivan wound up being rated so highly last year.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I don't know if Wilfork will go top five, but he is my top rated DT. I watched and taped a half dozen Miami games this year and he is the best in this draft that I have seen. As far as QBs, I like the top three, Roethlisberger, Manning and Rivers. I think all three will be very good NFL QBs. I would love to draft any of them. Udeze I think should be a LDE in the pros. I agree that this years DE class is very weak. I also wouldn't mind if we drafted Gallery. I think he is going to make some team very happy starting at LT this year.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22