Tue, Aug 16 2005 News

darkangel2050

Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0816suns0816.html

Suns get veteran post Grant at bargain price

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 16, 2005 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Brian Grant is well known in the NBA for his philanthropy, but his choice to play in Phoenix is no charitable endeavor.

The Suns snagged a bargain Monday by coming to terms with the veteran post player for a two-year deal, starting at the $1.67 million biannual exception and adding a player option for a second season. With Grant still collecting $29.8 million in the next two years as the Lakers' amnesty waiver choice, he will be this season's richest Suns player. The wealth, born from a seven-year, $80 million deal in 1999 with Miami, freed Grant to pick a fifth NBA stop for pure basketball reasons.

About 20 teams inquired about Grant, whose waiver allows the Lakers to avoid the luxury tax on his due salaries. He weighed Chicago, Miami, New York and Denver but chose Phoenix, which is expected to sign him Wednesday after he clears waivers. [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Grant spurned "much more" lucrative offers to be another veteran Suns banger with defensive and rebounding prowess, like fellow power forward/undersized center Kurt Thomas.

"It's a great franchise, no doubt about it, with the best record last year, a great point guard and a need (for a big man)," Grant's agent, Mark Bartelstein said.

It helped that Grant has a tremendous respect for Suns assistant Marc Iavaroni, who served on Pat Riley's bench for two of Grant's four years in Miami. Relatives in the Valley and a call from Steve Nash also swayed Grant.

Grant, 33, has carried a work ethic beyond reproach that made him productive for a decade in Sacramento, Portland and Miami. Chronic knee tendinitis and a preseason neck injury got the best of him last season. He still had the penchant for playing through pain after seven surgeries.

Grant was limited to career-low stats and a reserve role. In Phoenix, being a solid backup with hustle and leadership to support Amaré Stoudemire would suffice.

"He's totally healthy," Bartelstein said. "People don't understand that affected him last year. He'll have a terrific season. You can bank on that."

The Grant pickup did not cease efforts to land swingman Michael Finley as a means of soothing the departure of Joe Johnson, whose trade to Atlanta should close Friday. Finley was waived just before 9 p.m. Monday, the deadline for amnesty cuts, as Dallas could not trade him to the East.

Miami was considered the favorite, if not a lock by some insiders, because Stan Van Gundy coached him at Wisconsin, he has the same agent as Dwyane Wade and the Heat has all of its $5 million midlevel exception available. Like Phoenix's hole at shooting guard, Finley could start as Miami's small forward.

Those signals could have been a decoy benefiting Phoenix, the last team Dallas wanted to help again after seeing Nash leave last year.

San Antonio, Denver and Detroit are also interested with two to four times more money to offer than Phoenix. The Suns have Nash, his close friend, and can give his veteran minimum of $1,138,500 because they have no salary-cap room.

The Suns also have engaged in talks regarding free-agent point guard Gary Payton, who has publicly expressed interest in backing up Nash. However, landing Payton could require using the $4.9 million trade exception Phoenix will get in the Johnson trade.

Although five deals are not official, Phoenix figures to have eight new players in the mix. Only Nash, Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, Jim Jackson and Leandro Barbosa are expected back.[/font]

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Alright trade Barbosa, the Lakers Pick and a Suns pick in 2007 and the TE for Gary Payton and Tony Allen...whose on board??? (doesnt Gerald Green and Delonte West and Ricky Davis make Tony Allen expendable?????)

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
how about we just give the celtic the 4.9 trade exception for payton and keep barbs and the draft picks.

The trade exception is a nice little commodity, but the Phoenix Suns would have to as the Boston Celtics with something more in order to get Gary Payton in a sign and trade.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think it would take much in addition to the TE to get Payton. The Celtics aren't going to re-sign him and don't need more role players, so their options are limited in any kind of sign and trade.

I have to admit I'd be more inclined to do an S&T for Damon Jones, but Payton wouldn't require as long a contract and is more experienced as a push PG.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Payton should be obtainable for the 1.9mil TE and a second rounder since Celtics owe him a favor for coming back last season. I think we should have a deal already but have to wait out the JJ to Altanta saga. :thumbup:

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Payton should be obtainable for the 1.9mil TE and a second rounder since Celtics owe him a favor for coming back last season. I think we should have a deal already but have to wait out the JJ to Altanta saga. :thumbup:

I agree. The atlanta trade exception is too much to give to GP. I would rather we save that for later during the year. I wouldnt mind using part of it for Damon Jones though. I think he would fit in pretty well. The guy shot 43% from 3 point land but Im not sure if he would be willing to take a role as a backup.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
cepstrum said:
I agree. The atlanta trade exception is too much to give to GP. I would rather we save that for later during the year. I wouldnt mind using part of it for Damon Jones though. I think he would fit in pretty well. The guy shot 43% from 3 point land but Im not sure if he would be willing to take a role as a backup.

he'll be bitching by game 40 about PT.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Alright trade Barbosa, the Lakers Pick and a Suns pick in 2007 and the TE for Gary Payton and Tony Allen...whose on board??? (doesnt Gerald Green and Delonte West and Ricky Davis make Tony Allen expendable?????)

I am with you with Tony Allen but not Payton. I do see that Tony Allen is expendable and can't understand why others do not see it. Even though it has been stated the Ainge likes Allen, I think he really likes Gerald Green and is stuck with Ricky Davis for the length of his contract. There is another kid that is supposed to be a sleeper, Orien Greene that makes Allen expendable.

On Greene

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=2842

We could get Allen.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
how about we just give the celtic the 4.9 trade exception for payton and keep barbs and the draft picks.

Like coloradosun i am a big Tony allen fan...to me he was the key of the deal

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
coloradosun said:
I am with you with Tony Allen but not Payton. I do see that Tony Allen is expendable and can't understand why others do not see it. Even though it has been stated the Ainge likes Allen, I think he really likes Gerald Green and is stuck with Ricky Davis for the length of his contract. There is another kid that is supposed to be a sleeper, Orien Greene that makes Allen expendable.

On Greene

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=2842

We could get Allen.

They do not replace Allen!!
Gerald Green will play SF in this league. Delonte West is a PG. Tony Allen is a SG. Eventually they will all be in the starting lineup together!

None of those players make each other expendable.

Their lineup is:

West/Banks
Allen/Davis
Pierce/Green
Jefferson/Scalabrine
LaFrentz/Perkins

(with lots of other people filling in behind).

Last edited:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
In other words, we CANNOT get Allen.

Even if he was expendable, which he isn't....you don't give away a very good young talent making less than 1 million on a rookie contract for the crap we have to offer. I doubt they would even make the deal for the best Hawks pick we have.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake