Turnovers and "D"

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We will win this game IF,

We don't turn the ball over.
The defense "contains" McNabb.

We cannot turn the ball over and give the Eagles a short field. The Eagles will be trying to keep it conservative because of the turnover's that we have produced over the last 2 or 3 games. I really think the only way their offense can hurt us is McNabb extending plays. If we can play our gaps and contain him , we will be alright. I think we are going to try to bring a lot of pressure while someone breaks off for the outlet pass.

It's our turn now!

Forget about the last time we've played.

DuMaCac

Reaction score
i hope our D steps up and creates half the turnovers we got in carolina, actually even 1/3 (2 turnovers) of what we did in carolina and we should be okay!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Here are some numbers for you: 87,60 and 75. Those are the yards rushing the D has allowed since they started playing for real again.

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
I don't expect a huge change here. The Eagles use their RBs but they don't really run the ball. It's mostly just to keep the opposing D honest.

The recent Eagles have never had your NFL standard game where a run gets you a minimum 4-5 yards. It's -2 to +2 yards at best until they crack out with a 30-40 yard pickup.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Right!
  • Hold on to the ball and don't let it loose.
  • Kurt better not throw any passes that he wishes he could have back. Right now, there's no tomorrow!
  • Wrap up Buckhalter and Westbrook, don't let them go for big runs.
  • Need to see the same defensive intensity that we've see the last couple of games.
  • No making stupid penalties.
  • Keep an eye out for the screen to Westbrook at all times.
  • Need to protect the nest from the very start and throughout.
Go Cardinals!:koolaid:

Last edited:

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
One part of the Eagle's screen play game is that while they run it very well, they haven't used it more than 2 or 3 times a game in recent games. Opponents know to look for it.

Keep in mind, however, that you're using a signifigant amount of mental energy when you are constantly looking out for a screen play. Every time an O-lineman disengages for even half a second, he might be pulling for a screen. Or maybe he isn't. Now the D lineman has to make a quick decision to hold ground or keep pushing toward the QB. And screens need to be spotted early by all 11 guys, not just the front 7, if you want to really shut them down.

I'm hoping the Eagles run at least one screen to Celek. Opponents haven't been expecting that one and it's fun to see it when it works.

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
One part of the Eagle's screen play game is that while they run it very well, they haven't used it more than 2 or 3 times a game in recent games. Opponents know to look for it.

Keep in mind, however, that you're using a signifigant amount of mental energy when you are constantly looking out for a screen play. Every time an O-lineman disengages for even half a second, he might be pulling for a screen. Or maybe he isn't. Now the D lineman has to make a quick decision to hold ground or keep pushing toward the QB. And screens need to be spotted early by all 11 guys, not just the front 7, if you want to really shut them down.

I'm hoping the Eagles run at least one screen to Celek. Opponents haven't been expecting that one and it's fun to see it when it works.
I somewhat disagree that all 11 have to know ahead of time. The best way to shut down a screen is to have at least one player(maybe 2) spy on Westbrook at all times and if that does happen wrap him up for a loss or short gain. Easier said than done and that's why it's one of the Eagles weapons.

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
I somewhat disagree that all 11 have to know ahead of time. The best way to shut down a screen is to have at least one player(maybe 2) spy on Westbrook at all times and if that does happen wrap him up for a loss or short gain. Easier said than done and that's why it's one of the Eagles weapons.

Tell that to Antonio Pierce. Westbrook had a late release on a broken screen, burned Pierce as a spy, and took it straight to the house.

I'm glad you brought this up. It reminds me that it's worth noting that the Eagles wideouts, while not large guys by any stretch, have been downright phenomenal in their commitment to upfield blocking. It has been pleasantly surprising to see all the WRs tie up their defender on most running plays. It's a big, mostly unheralded, reason that Westbrook can look so great on the long plays as soon as he clears the linebackers. I've never seen the Eagles WR unit put so much energy into blocks before this season.

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
Tell that to Antonio Pierce. Westbrook had a late release on a broken screen, burned Pierce as a spy, and took it straight to the house.

I'm glad you brought this up. It reminds me that it's worth noting that the Eagles wideouts, while not large guys by any stretch, have been downright phenomenal in their commitment to upfield blocking. It has been pleasantly surprising to see all the WRs tie up their defender on most running plays. It's a big, mostly unheralded, reason that Westbrook can look so great on the long plays as soon as he clears the linebackers. I've never seen the Eagles WR unit put so much energy into blocks before this season.
Agreed! That just goes to show that a screen can be a very dangerous play. That's why it so important to keep a guy (maybe 2) on him and be there if they do try it. Very true and blocking is usually vital by everyone for those huge plays to succeed.

Dawkins2112

Registered
Reaction score
If games were won on forums, you guys would already be champs. Fortunately, for us Eagles fans, it will have to be settled on the field. Your run is about to come to an abrupt end. :)

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score
If games were won on forums, you guys would already be champs. Fortunately, for us Eagles fans, it will have to be settled on the field. Your run is about to come to an abrupt end. :)

Oddly, the whole "It has to be settled on the field" bit is why the Cardinals are playing in this game, so I doubt you'll upset anyone with that statement.

Dawkins2112

Registered
Reaction score
Oddly, the whole "It has to be settled on the field" bit is why the Cardinals are playing in this game, so I doubt you'll upset anyone with that statement.

I'm not trying to upset anyone. This is football. This is fun. We're all having fun, right? I want to have fun too.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We will win this game IF,

We don't turn the ball over.
The defense "contains" McNabb.

We cannot turn the ball over and give the Eagles a short field. The Eagles will be trying to keep it conservative because of the turnover's that we have produced over the last 2 or 3 games. I really think the only way their offense can hurt us is McNabb extending plays. If we can play our gaps and contain him , we will be alright. I think we are going to try to bring a lot of pressure while someone breaks off for the outlet pass.

It's our turn now!

Forget about the last time we've played.

I agree with these as the keys to the game. We can't help the Eagle offense with turnovers.

McNabb is very difficult to get a hold of. Need to pressure him though or like any QB he will kill you. I like our chances if we get the type of pressure we have the last two games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05