Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's back.

UM offensive coordinator heads to Arizona State
BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN
[email protected]

University of Miami offensive coordinator Rich Olson is leaving Miami to become the new offensive coordinator for Arizona State under just-hired head coach Dennis Erickson.

Olson, 58, leaves Wednesday morning for Tempe, where he will finalize his contract. He is close friends with Erickson, who formerly coached UM to two national titles.

''I'm very excited,'' Olson said this afternoon. ``It's obviously an opportunity to go back and work with Dennis, who has had an awful lot of success at the college football level. And my daughter lives in Tempe and graduated from Arizona State, and my wife grew up there and her family is all in the Phoenix and Tucson area.

``We thought about making Arizona our home a few years ago. This now gives us an opportunity to do that.''

Olson, in his second coaching stint at UM, said he was very disappointed that his return to Miami didn't have a happy outcome.

''It's unfortunate the UM situation didn't work out for myself and for [dismissed coach] Larry [Coker],'' he said. ``I feel awful about the whole situation.

``But I'm also happy for [new coach] Randy [Shannon] for the opportunity he has to get it turned around. He'll do a great job.''

Erickson was announced as the new ASU coach at a Monday news conference. He won national championships as the Hurricanes head coach in 1989 and '91.

Olson, who also coached running backs at UM, was Erickson's UM offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 1994. Olson coached the UM wide receivers in 1992 and the quarterbacks in 1993. The two were graduate assistants together at Washington State in 1970.

Olson was not expected to be retained by new UM head coach Shannon, who accepted the job last Thursday and was introduced to the public Friday. Olson told Shannon the news today.

''We've got a great relationship, so that was not an issue,'' Olson said. ``Not at all. Things happen fast. That's the nature of the business.''

Olson said he believes UM recruiting will be successful, despite the coaching changes. The recruiting ''dead period,'' in which coaches may not have face-to-face contact with recruits, starts Saturday and lasts through the holiday period until early January.

A native of Montebello, Calif., Olson quarterbacked for Washington State. He is a 30-year veteran coach in college and the NFL, and coached Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper for the Minnesota Vikings in 2005.

Ironically, one of Shannon's targets for a new offensive coordinator is Dirk Koetter, the Arizona State coach who was just fired and replaced by Erickson.

Koetter, like Coker, is expected to coach the Sun Devils in their bowl game.

Future1984

Veteran
Reaction score
Erickson said he will be heavily involved with the offense.

I am reserving my judgement till next NOV26 2007 and see what our record is

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Rich Olson's idea of offense is run left, run right, throw short, punt.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
That is NOT the direction Erickson wants to go... He's going to ruin the only upside this football team has and that's the offense.

Screwup #1 and counting...

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
That is NOT the direction Erickson wants to go... He's going to ruin the only upside this football team has and that's the offense.

Screwup #1 and counting...

Yeah, whatever genius.

Future1984

Veteran
Reaction score
This is coming from a fan of UofA which Coach plays thier best recruit ever with 4 concussions and possibly could ruin his career and future.

Good One anyway RAT FAN

GO DEVILS!!!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, UM's offense has been terrible the past few years. Unless Erickson calls a majority of the plays, I am not thrilled about this either.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't blame Olson for U of Miami's offensive woes. Try Larry Coker the ex coach. The guy was way too vanilla once he took over and had Werner , followed by Olson skinny up the playbook. Olson only called what Coker allowed and he only had one year to install a new system with a roster full of freshmen.

Olson may suck, but his short career at Miami is not a good test.

Last edited:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I wouldn't blame Olson for U of Miami's offensive woes. Try Larry Coker the ex coach. The guy was way too vanilla once he took over and had Werner , followed by Olson skinny up the playbook. Olson only called what Coker allowed and he only had one year to install a new system with a roster full of freshen.

Olson may suck, but his short career at Miami is not a good test.

truth

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
also remember olson worked with dennis at the U back in the early 90s when they were doing pretty well offensively (although if i remember right the OC was bratkowski who followed erickson to seattle and is now with the bengals)

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
I believe olsen was the OC for a couple years there including one of the national championship years before moving on

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
This is coming from a fan of UofA which Coach plays thier best recruit ever with 4 concussions and possibly could ruin his career and future.

Good One anyway RAT FAN

GO DEVILS!!!

Yeah, that makes sense... Has absolutely nothing to do with the topic. But it's typical of you... You've got nothing better to do. You've got ASU fans who also don't like the choice but this is how you reply to my comment. Like I said, typical...

Oh, and that RAT FAN comment was hilarious. Probably took you all day to come up with that one.

Go Cats!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92