Unstoppable in the Near Future? Blake Griffin

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Reminds me so much of young Amare. Just attacks the rim with ferocity no matter who is in the way.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He just needs to grow up, he's very immature. Other than that, he's the complete package.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is going to be very good if he stays healthy. He has not even reached his potential yet and it will be interesting to see how far he goes.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceJkjJxDylI&feature=fvwk

I wish the Suns had someone like this guy...no fear and killer instinct. I loved how they beat the Heat last night as well. Clippers fans can finally get their heads out of the paper bags.

The Suns used to have someone like that. At 21 (Griffin's age), Amare was getting 26 ppg and 9 rpg while shooting 55%. Then he got hurt.

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
He just needs to grow up, he's very immature. Other than that, he's the complete package.

I don't think so. His media-handling and taking a lead role in the team early on showed surprising maturity for his age. Many others would succumb under that pressure, he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all, staying focused on his game.

Other than that, he is already a star athlete and seems determined to improve on every aspect of his game. He has a potential to be an all-star, I wish him all the best. I still think that he may be an afroamerican hahah, maybe just a really pale one. :D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't think so. His media-handling and taking a lead role in the team early on showed surprising maturity for his age. Many others would succumb under that pressure, he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all, staying focused on his game.

Other than that, he is already a star athlete and seems determined to improve on every aspect of his game. He has a potential to be an all-star, I wish him all the best. I still think that he may be an afroamerican hahah, maybe just a really pale one. :D

I meant on the court. I'm not sure if you actually saw the last Suns/Clippers game, but he showed a lot of immaturity in that game.

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought you meant overall, not just on the court. And yeh, haven't watched that one.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The key word is healthy. He is definitely the complete package. Chaps is right, he is always acting like an immature punk on the court, even against the Heat yetserday. It is admirable when you stand up for a teammate, but his handling of the situations shows his age.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The key word is healthy. He is definitely the complete package. Chaps is right, he is always acting like an immature punk on the court, even against the Heat yetserday. It is admirable when you stand up for a teammate, but his handling of the situations shows his age.

What happened?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm an Amare fan but Blake Griffin is what we WANTED Amare to be, not what Amare was. Amare was an average rebounder, this guy is an incredible rebounder. And Stat could never handle the ball the way Blake does. Watching this kid play in college it was clear he was destined to be one of the best. Health is the only thing that will bring him down. Right now, he'd rival Durant as my favorite player to build around.

He's a perfect example of why we should be thrilled with a high pick even in a year where questions abound. Not too many people on this board thought highly of Griffin when he came out, IIRC.

Steve

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happened?

He just has a thing for shoving guys, like how he nearly shoved Miller's spine off his back. He did the same thing with Chalmers yesterday after Chalmers committed a hard foul against one of his teammates.
Someone did say he was like that in college too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He just has a thing for shoving guys, like how he nearly shoved Miller's spine off his back. He did the same thing with Chalmers yesterday after Chalmers committed a hard foul against one of his teammates.
Someone did say he was like that in college too.

Yeah, every now and then he does something that makes you think of 'roid rage. I don't think he's any worse than a lot of players (like the entire Celtics squad for example) but it's unusual to see from a rookie.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm an Amare fan but Blake Griffin is what we WANTED Amare to be, not what Amare was. Amare was an average rebounder, this guy is an incredible rebounder. And Stat could never handle the ball the way Blake does. Watching this kid play in college it was clear he was destined to be one of the best. Health is the only thing that will bring him down. Right now, he'd rival Durant as my favorite player to build around.

He's a perfect example of why we should be thrilled with a high pick even in a year where questions abound. Not too many people on this board thought highly of Griffin when he came out, IIRC.

Steve

I would agree with that--as far as players to build around, he's the #1 PF on my list too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would agree with that--as far as players to build around, he's the #1 PF on my list too.

Actually, he'd be my number one player to build around if I had a crystal ball that guaranteed he'd stay healthy. He's a bit undersized and makes up for it with his reach and his explosiveness and as a general rule, big guys that are extraordinarily athletic always seem to get injured (Dice and Amare for example). Hopefully, he'll be Shawn Kemp junior and just eat and sleep his way out of the league. Not that I really think he's on Kemp's level; he's better.

Steve

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Post-micro Griffin is more of a monster than was pre-micro Stoudemire. That is all.

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
There is so much young talent in the NBA right now. Phoenix need to be on the phone 24/7 at the moment.

I'd be inquiring about James Harden and/or DeAndre Jordon. Both young, trenmendous upside potential :D and both COULD be had due to the depth their teams have at their respective positions and the costs that would come resigining them.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
There is so much young talent in the NBA right now. Phoenix need to be on the phone 24/7 at the moment.

I'd be inquiring about James Harden and/or DeAndre Jordon. Both young, trenmendous upside potential :D and both COULD be had due to the depth their teams have at their respective positions and the costs that would come resigining them.

Harden is on his rookie contract for at least another year after this one so OKC probably won't move him until his re-up becomes an issue. Deandre Jordan might be interesting though as his rookie salary is over at the end of this year and LAC is notorious for letting players go.

OP
OP
jagu

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Amare was a beast when he first came up. The hops, the rejections, aaah.. He was still a great offensive player post injury as well but the hops weren't there even though he still had pretty good throw downs. Everytime I watch Griffin I keep thinking his sneakers are hiding some new technology to jump higher because he keeps going and going!

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
He just needs to grow up, he's very immature.

I heard him on the radio today (Petros and Money), he was very well spoken and humble. When they asked him about all star votes, he said he felt there were others that were deserving and that he just wanted to work on his game and reap the benefits down the line. Are you basing your perception on his run ins with Grant and other players? It's a sport man.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score

Steve

Amare started out as a good rebounder but did regress because he had no other big man to help him. Blake and DeAndre are a nasty frontcourt. I love Blake's handles too, having that dude dribbling towards you at full speed must scare the **** out of players.

Check out fast Amare is moving towards the rim before Artest clocks him:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Griffin by next year will be the best PF in the NBA. Once he works on his shooting a lil more, he'll be unstopable and will require double teams everytime.

IMO he's already got the 3rd most athleticism in the NBA behind LeBron and Howard.

chickenhead

Reaction score
He's maybe the most interesting quantity the Clippers have had that I can remember. Do they build around him? Does he languish there but with a massive contract extension? Does he force his way out? Does he fall to the Clippers curse per Bill Simmons' column? It'll be interesting.