Va. Tech suspends Marcus Vick

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Tech will suspend Vick
The quarterback stomped on a Louisville player's leg during Monday's Gator Bowl.
By Norm Wood
[email protected] | 247-4642
January 5, 2006, 6:22 PM EST
Virginia Tech will suspend quarterback Marcus Vick for an undetermined number of games next season if he returns to school, according to two sources within the athletic department who wished to remain anonymous. The suspension is the result of Vick stomping on a Louisville player's leg in the first half of Monday's Gator Bowl.

Tech coach Frank Beamer will be in the Hampton Roads area Friday and will meet with Brenda Boddie, Vick's mother, and Vick to discuss the player's options. If Vick doesn't accept the suspension, he will either have to transfer to another school or turn pro.
In order to gain immediate eligibility next season by transferring, he'd have to go to a Division I-AA or lower level school. Vick said at a press conference Dec. 29 that he doesn't plan to enter the National Football League Draft in April.

Earlier this week, Virginia Tech athletic director Jim Weaver said he was embarrassed by quarterback Vick's "unacceptable" actions and promised to further review the situation.

This is latest controversy for Vick, a junior who is a Warwick High graduate and the younger brother of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick.

He was convicted on Aug. 3, 2004 of reckless driving and marijuana possession. The same day, Virginia Tech suspended him for the fall 2004 semester.

Tech suspended Vick for the 2004 season because of the August convictions and because he was convicted in May 2004 on three charges of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

The charges stemmed from a Jan. 27, 2004 incident at Vick's Blacksburg apartment. The incident involved three teenage girls, Vick and teammates Brenden Hill and Mike Imoh.

Vick appealed those charges, which were merged into one charge for a plea agreement that let him avoid 30 days in jail.

Vick, 21, re-enrolled at Tech in January 2005. He won the starting job and led the Hokies to an 11-2 season, which ended with a 35-24 win over Louisville in Jacksonville, Fla.

For the season, his first as a full-time starter, Vick completed 61.2 percent of his passes for 2,393 yards, 17 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

During a game at West Virginia on Oct. 1, Vick flipped his middle finger to fans behind Tech's sideline.

He apologized in a statement the next day. "What I did was wrong and I am sorry," he said. "My goal is to be the leader of this team and do things the right way."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22