Vazquez on the block again?

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
If this is true, it certainly didn't take long for the Sox to sour on him.

Source

CHICAGO - The Mets may have found a partner willing to deal a starting pitcher after all, which could be even more pressing as Pedro Martinez is about to miss his third straight start.

The White Sox have been calling around to clubs - including the Mets - letting it be known that Javier Vazquez or Freddy Garcia would be available. The price: top-notch relief help, which would allow the Sox to fortify their bullpen leading to closer Bobby Jenks, sources told the Daily News. Chicago has 23-year-old Brandon McCarthy ready to step into its rotation.

The Phillies, also looking to add to their rotation in a thin market, are willing to give up closer Tom Gordon in a deal with the Sox, according to a source.

The Mets hold a 12-game lead in the NL East over second-place Philadelphia as they open their second half against the Cubs today at Wrigley Field. Adding a front-line starting pitcher would be done with an eye toward October. It also would provide a hedge against any continued health issues for Martinez.

Martinez, who has missed back-to-back starts with a balky right hip, had been expected to return from the disabled list on Wednesday - the fifth game after the All-Star break, when the Mets are in Cincinnati. But Willie Randolph said yesterday that Martinez will have to be pushed back from that scheduled assignment. The ace is weak and had been unable to throw during the break because of a stomach ailment that was possibly caused by food poisoning, the manager said. Martinez didn't leave the clubhouse during yesterday's workout.

As a result of Martinez's condition, after rookie Mike Pelfrey pitches Tuesday in the series opener against the Reds, the Mets are prepared to skip Martinez and go back to today's starter, Steve Trachsel, on Wednesday. Trachsel would be on standard rest because the Mets have an off-day on Monday. John Maine will remain with the Mets and be available in the bullpen for now, Randolph said. The manager described Maine as a secondary option to Trachsel for Martinez's start.

"We're going to have to push him back a day or two, give or take, until he gets on the mound," Randolph said about Martinez. "He's going to have to build up his volume more than anything. He's been out awhile (since June 28 at Boston), so you can't just throw him back in there."

Omar Minaya has long been fond of Vazquez and pursued the former Expo last winter, before he was sent from the Diamondbacks to the White Sox for current Met Orlando Hernandez as well as reliever Luiz Vizcaino and outfield prospect Chris Young. He's 9-4 with a 5.07 ERA this season, while Garcia is 10-5 with a 4.91 ERA.

Of course, the Mets have been hesitant to tinker with their bullpen, going so far as to start Jose Lima during the last home stand so Darren Oliver could maintain his long-relief role. A deal for either White Sox starter would seem to have to include Duaner Sanchez or Aaron Heilman, the primary setup men to Billy Wagner. The Mets could gamble on rookie Henry Owens if they borrowed from their bullpen to address their starting pitching.

The Mets also may look to address second base, with their eye remaining on Tampa Bay's Julio Lugo. The Devil Rays just traded third baseman Aubrey Huff to Houston and have announced plans to move shortstop prospect B.J. Upton to third base, but it's still believed a persuasive offer could pry away the free-agent-to-be Lugo.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a Sox fan, I would take any of those deals. Vazquez and Garcia have holes in their games and are getting huge Bux for a long time. I really want McCarthy to start.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
As a Sox fan, I would take any of those deals. Vazquez and Garcia have holes in their games and are getting huge Bux for a long time. I really want McCarthy to start.

I have always thought Vazquez is overrated, even prior to his stint with the D'backs. He is not a front line pitcher because he is so inconsistent yet he makes money like he is a #1 pitcher.

The Mets would benefit if they got either of them, but I cannot see them giving up too much to get either.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was cruising last night and then .... bam.... loads the bases and serves up a salami. End of game, so to speak. Gotta be in his head. With about 6 teams looking to add a starter, the Sox should get some decent return, but they want a reliever and that is harder to find than starters.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
He was cruising last night and then .... bam.... loads the bases and serves up a salami. End of game, so to speak. Gotta be in his head. With about 6 teams looking to add a starter, the Sox should get some decent return, but they want a reliever and that is harder to find than starters.

He's notorious for giving up home runs. When he gives them up, his attutude goes straight to the dumps and the flood gates open. He's an absolute headcase when he starts getting hit. As Boondock said, I never thought he was very good, def not worth frontline money, and I was ecstatic when we got Vizcaino and Young for him

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
He's notorious for giving up home runs. When he gives them up, his attutude goes straight to the dumps and the flood gates open. He's an absolute headcase when he starts getting hit. As Boondock said, I never thought he was very good, def not worth frontline money, and I was ecstatic when we got Vizcaino and Young for him
Vizcaino and Young and a whole bunch of money back from his bloated paycheck. He is a payroll thief.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05