Wanted: Defensive Playmakers Besides Chandler Jones

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Murray and the offense catch a lot of flak these days, and rightfully so. But the destruction of this defense has been truly sad to see.

There have been so many times when someone needs to step up and make a play, and it just isn't happening. The D-line can't get any pressure. The secondary is constantly out of position. Our linebackers are likely the slowest in the league. It's extremely tough to win games when you can't force a turnover, and this defense hasn't been forcing them for way too long.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Murray and the offense catch a lot of flak these days, and rightfully so. But the destruction of this defense has been truly sad to see.

There have been so many times when someone needs to step up and make a play, and it just isn't happening. The D-line can't get any pressure. The secondary is constantly out of position. Our linebackers are likely the slowest in the league. It's extremely tough to win games when you can't force a turnover, and this defense hasn't been forcing them for way too long.

That's why you can make a strong case for taking Chase Young or if we're drafting a bit lower the CB from Alabama or the CB from Ohio State. They're all playmakers. You put Young opposite Jones with PP back next year(if he shows well this year) and that's much better. We have no ball hawks at safety we need one, and yeah we need LB's.

Keim let the defense get old, the replacements he drafted weren't good and we're seeing the results now.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m still hoping for all out D next draft. I think with Murphy CB can come in the later rounds, but front 7 for the 1st 3 rounds next year would be the way I’d go

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wa hoping for an all out draft on our OL next year. Looks like we have lots of holes to fill.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When was the last big play made by Buddha?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is the area that I would like to see Baker take a big step forward in, turnovers. That being said, he is not a player I am looking to replace unless he demands a ton of money at this level of production moving forward. Right now, Baker, Murphy, Hicks and Jones are guys who are locked into our back 8 for the next three years. Guys like Reddick, Peterson, and Alford are still up in the air based upon play and/or contracts. Our defense in my mind right now for 2020...

DE - Zach Allen
NT - ?
DE - ?
OLB - Chandler Jones
ILB - Jordan Hicks
ILB - ? (I'm not shocked if they give Reddick an extension)
OLB - ?
CB - Patrick Peterson
CB - Byron Murphy
CB - Robert Alford
S- Budda Baker
S - ?

The nice news is that in free agency, there are some options at OLB. My top target would be Stephen Weatherly from the Vikings to play OLB. He is young and has a long frame like Chandler Jones. I could also see the organization bringing back Markus Golden. Not a bunch of great options at S. Hopefully one of the Thompsons will stand out.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
This is the area that I would like to see Baker take a big step forward in, turnovers. That being said, he is not a player I am looking to replace unless he demands a ton of money at this level of production moving forward. Right now, Baker, Murphy, Hicks and Jones are guys who are locked into our back 8 for the next three years. Guys like Reddick, Peterson, and Alford are still up in the air based upon play and/or contracts. Our defense in my mind right now for 2020...

DE - Zach Allen
NT - ?
DE - ?
OLB - Chandler Jones
ILB - Jordan Hicks
ILB - ? (I'm not shocked if they give Reddick an extension)
OLB - ?
CB - Patrick Peterson
CB - Byron Murphy
CB - Robert Alford
S- Budda Baker
S - ?

The nice news is that in free agency, there are some options at OLB. My top target would be Stephen Weatherly from the Vikings to play OLB. He is young and has a long frame like Chandler Jones. I could also see the organization bringing back Markus Golden. Not a bunch of great options at S. Hopefully one of the Thompsons will stand out.

Thanks. This is a nice post. With so many holes, it paints kind of a bleak picture. Also, C. Jones will soon be 30. He's going to to start slowing down, maybe not a lot in 2020, but sooner than we'd like.

Sans Jones, the LB core appears to me to be pretty weak. I did not focus on Reddick yesterday, but I saw him miss badly on at least two tackles. Hicks is okay, but were getting trucked in the run game, and I think a large part of the blame has to be assigned to our LBs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22