Warner says he interested in rejoining Martz (Lions)

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lions | Warner interested in rejoining Martz?
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 08:14:13 -0800

Bernie Miklasz, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports Arizona Cardinals QB Kurt Warner said he's open to the idea of rejoining Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz in Detroit. Warner told Jeff Vernetti of KSLG (1380 AM) in an interview: "With what we did offensively, and his offensive mind, and just as an offensive football coach, I haven't been around any better (than Martz). That always would be intriguing. And knowing the (Martz) system, loving the system, and feeling like it plays into my strengths. All of those things would be plusses. They've got a lot of skill guys there (in Detroit); they've got a lot of talent there, similar to what we had in St. Louis. You look at it from that standpoint, and I think it would be really exciting. It would be fun." Martz has confided to associates that if he ever needed a quarterback in his new destination, and he needs one in Detroit, he wouldn't hesitate to bring Warner in. Warner is scheduled to be a free agent in March, unless the Arizona Cardinals re-sign him first.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could be just a ploy to put pressure on Cards to get more money. However we may have some competition for Warner. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So the question is who will be the Cards starting qb if we lose Warner in free agency to the Lions??

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Warner is happy to play for whoever plays. Don't kid yourself. Saying "Nah, I want to stay in AZ" would drive the contract down a couple of grand, so of course he says this. IF he hits the open market, then I worry. Right now I neither care or believe anything he says because he HAS to say "Sure".

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
az jam said:
So the question is who will be the Cards starting qb if we lose Warner in free agency to the Lions??

What? We are fine... We have... well there is..... ummm... Anquan and Navarre....crap. Maybe that's what all of the Randal El rumors are. We put himi and Quan in the backfield and run the wing-T

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
The whole premise of the Cardinals offeason thus far is that they have this great passing attack and a pretty good young defense--- and that if they get a running game they have a shot to be pretty good--

what do you have if the front office screws around and lets Warner get away?

A team without a legitimate (or even plausible) starting QB under contract that is now desparate and in the position of having to spend high draft picks to bring in a starter -- either in the draft or via trade--

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
en fuego said:
The whole premise of the Cardinals offeason thus far is that they have this great passing attack and a pretty good young defense--- and that if they get a running game they have a shot to be pretty good--

what do you have if the front office screws around and lets Warner get away?

A team without a legitimate (or even plausible) starting QB under contract that is now desparate and in the position of having to spend high draft picks to bring in a starter -- either in the draft or via trade--

Which is why I am OK slightly overpaying him, because the alternative is a passing offense without a passer. Working in Arizona's favor is the fact that it is the Lions. Warner sort of reestablished himself here this year, leaving and struggling would hurt him. I think he stays, and I think we pay him 6-7 mil a year. I'm more intruiged by the number of years than the $ truthfully.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the Cards are wary of paying a lot of money to a QB who can only play in 60% of their games?

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards went in several different directions:

1) If they think Vince Young will drop to them, they re-sign Warner to a cheap 2 years and groom Young to step in. Go after RB's in FA (James or Foster, if Alexander signs in Carolina). OL & SS in draft.

2) If they draft Vince Young and Warner is too expensive, or goes to Detroit, then sign the cheapest of either of McCown or Aaron Brooks. Again get a great RB in FA.

3) If Young is not available, draft LenDale White. Re-sign Warner for whatever it takes and draft a QB (Jacobs?) in the 2nd or 3rd. OL addressed in FA.

My two cents.

The Shark

spanky1

Reaction score
Shane H said:
I wouldnt be the least bit shocked or upset.

Neither would I....but if Warner is going to "play games" in order to drive his price up (and $6-$7MM would be excessive IMO), then bring in Matt Shaub to compete with McCown.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Neither would I....but if Warner is going to "play games" in order to drive his price up (and $6-$7MM would be excessive IMO), then bring in Matt Shaub to compete with McCown.

I agree Spank. Definitely need to bring in some competition. If Warner goes to the Lions I will not be pleased. But we will have to look at other options including guys like Kitna and Aaron Brooks.

Last edited:

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
az jam said:
Lions | Warner interested in rejoining Martz?
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 08:14:13 -0800

Bernie Miklasz, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports Arizona Cardinals QB Kurt Warner said he's open to the idea of rejoining Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz in Detroit. Warner told Jeff Vernetti of KSLG (1380 AM) in an interview: "With what we did offensively, and his offensive mind, and just as an offensive football coach, I haven't been around any better (than Martz). That always would be intriguing. And knowing the (Martz) system, loving the system, and feeling like it plays into my strengths. All of those things would be plusses. They've got a lot of skill guys there (in Detroit); they've got a lot of talent there, similar to what we had in St. Louis. You look at it from that standpoint, and I think it would be really exciting. It would be fun." Martz has confided to associates that if he ever needed a quarterback in his new destination, and he needs one in Detroit, he wouldn't hesitate to bring Warner in. Warner is scheduled to be a free agent in March, unless the Arizona Cardinals re-sign him first.

:wave: Dont let the door hit ya on the way out.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I've been thinkin this for about a month now and this news, while likely speculation and posturing, makes me more sure how this off season will go at the QB position.

Green will soon trade for Culpepper and Warner will not be resigned, by choice of the Cardinals. Thats why i think this has dragged on like it is, b/c it is naive to think that Denny is not VERY interested to reunite with his old QB......

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
I've been thinkin this for about a month now and this news, while likely speculation and posturing, makes me more sure how this off season will go at the QB position.

Green will soon trade for Culpepper and Warner will not be resigned, by choice of the Cardinals. Thats why i think this has dragged on like it is, b/c it is naive to think that Denny is not VERY interested to reunite with his old QB......

Culpepper will not be in a Cards uniform this year or ever for that matter. That would be shear stupidity on Greens part considering the earliest Culpepper would be able to play is likely 3/4 of the way through next season and thats being optimistic.

We would still need a serviceable or better than serviceable QB for the better part of the season if not all of it.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
I do not see $6-7 million for a QB that is so injury prone as Warner. $4 or 5 mil is fair given that senario. I realize we'd be in a tough situation, but I do not like the fact he made the posturing comments he did reference working for Martz again (ie, if in fact he did). Do the deal and be happy here. I mean, who would want to go to Detroit? Or, unless, maybe for really big bucks!!

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Lets look at the options if Warner isnt resigned:

1. McCown. I guess so, and I am actually someone who thinks he can be a decent QB if given the tools on offense-- but after the organization basically turned its nose up at him -- can you really bring him back and would he want to? Josh would have to know that he is one first day drafted QB away from being back in the "starter for now, but not much longer" mode.

2. Shaub -- lets assume the rumours are true and he is available-- what is the cost? While the rumours say a second round pick, I think the price is possibly higher. And what do you have when you get him? Is he better than McCown? Maybe, but his experience at the NFL is pretty sparse, to who knows.

3. Culpepper-- again -- is he available and what is the cost? Will he be ready for any of the 2006 season? Even as "damaged goods", he probably will be just as expensive as Shaub in terms of picks.

4. Draft pick-- do the Cards really want to go into the draft knowing they absolutely have to have a QB? To ensure that they get one will probably involve trading up into the draft and that is expensive as well.

None of those scenarios seem great to me.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Chainthroer said:
I do not see $6-7 million for a QB that is so injury prone as Warner. $4 or 5 mil is fair given that senario. I realize we'd be in a tough situation, but I do not like the fact he made the posturing comments he did reference working for Martz again (ie, if in fact he did). Do the deal and be happy here. I mean, who would want to go to Detroit? Or, unless, maybe for really big bucks!!
Well with a normal football team I would see your point but this is the penny chasing crudnals who are always billions under the cap every year and suprise suck every year!. They have their stadium I expect them to spend more now not pinch pennies as usual.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chainthroer said:

I would think Warner wants to stay with the Cards. I have yet to see KW burn any bridges or be anything less then the complete diplomat. Having said all of that if Detroit offers big money KW will have to consider it. I doubt he is all that trusting of Martz so if the Cards offer is close KW will opt to stay in Pheonix (IMHO).

All of this may garner KW a 6-7 million a year pay day. At this point the Cards options are slim at best. There is too much ridiing on this season to wing it at the QB position.

spanky1

Reaction score
Cardiac said:
I would think Warner wants to stay with the Cards. I have yet to see KW burn any bridges or be anything less then the complete diplomat. Having said all of that if Detroit offers big money KW will have to consider it. I doubt he is all that trusting of Martz so if the Cards offer is close KW will opt to stay in Pheonix (IMHO).

All of this may garner KW a 6-7 million a year pay day. At this point the Cards options are slim at best. There is too much ridiing on this season to wing it at the QB position.

The Cardinals will not pay Warner $6-$7MM......NO WAY NO HOW.

spanky1

Reaction score
en fuego said:
Lets look at the options if Warner isnt resigned:

1. McCown. I guess so, and I am actually someone who thinks he can be a decent QB if given the tools on offense-- but after the organization basically turned its nose up at him -- can you really bring him back and would he want to? Josh would have to know that he is one first day drafted QB away from being back in the "starter for now, but not much longer" mode.

2. Shaub -- lets assume the rumours are true and he is available-- what is the cost? While the rumours say a second round pick, I think the price is possibly higher. And what do you have when you get him? Is he better than McCown? Maybe, but his experience at the NFL is pretty sparse, to who knows.

3. Culpepper-- again -- is he available and what is the cost? Will he be ready for any of the 2006 season? Even as "damaged goods", he probably will be just as expensive as Shaub in terms of picks.

4. Draft pick-- do the Cards really want to go into the draft knowing they absolutely have to have a QB? To ensure that they get one will probably involve trading up into the draft and that is expensive as well.

None of those scenarios seem great to me.

Why would you think Shaub will cost more than a 2nd rounder....I believe that Atlanta have already set the price tag at a #2, knowing that he'll be a FA in 2007. Hell, Alexander and James could have been had last year for less.

spanky1

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:

Green will not chase Culpepper. The Bidwill's wouldn't let it happen given the price required and the fact that he'll not be ready until November at best.

spanky1

Reaction score
That Warner has even allowed this story to germinate is a huge turn off. The Cardinals should let out a story that they are seriously considering Kitna in light of the Bengals willingness to let him test the waters before offering him an alternative.

In many respects, I'd prefer Kitna anyway.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Anyone know of any details on the Cardinals/Warner talks? All I've heard from Warner up to this point is that he's not only willing, but happy to stay in Arizona and his sentiments regarding a contract have been "let's get it done". He's said he's ready and excited to move forward with the Cardinlas and he doesn't want to move. Why hasn't a deal been done? If the Cardinals are dragging their feet or slowing the process in some way, I don't blame Warner for giving them a little push. I really doubt that he'd want to reunite with Martz but that's just a guess. Aside from Martz, I've gotta think that Warner has no interest whatsoever in starting over for the the third time in three years. A second year with the Cardinals would be a lot more productive than a first year with new personnel and schemes.