Watching the Waiver Wire

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Even assuming that Suns get Dragic signed soon, they will still have one more roster slot to fill. I'm guessiing the Suns will add some non-guaranteed contract guys for camp on the hope of picking up someone off the waiver wire.

1. Veteran Point Guard: Pargo, Cassell and Damon Stoudamire are still available (for a reason). If the Suns sign Dragic they may decide hs's not ready and could sign someone as a filler.

2. Rookie Big Man: There are a bunch of veteran big men like Juwan Howard who don't appear to have much left and of course Sean Marks. Another option is to look at rookies who may come off the waiver wire. Maarty Leunen was drafted by the Rockets in the second round, but does not appear likely to make their squad (they haven't even re-signed Landry who would be an extraordinary pickup for the Suns. Leunen is not nearly as good, but appears to be a Brian Cardinal type plyer who is not all that athletic, but can shoot the lights out from three.

He 49.2% for three his senior year in college. (41.4% as junior). In Las Vegas, Leunan shot 43.8% for three. In his last four games, he shot 13 of 26 for 50%

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Maarty-Leunen-476/

Top 25s - Full List
RankCategoryTotal20EFF23.512WS/40153Pts/Pos1.3821Reb/g9.212DRB/g7

Las Vegas Summer League Day Six
July 17, 2008
Leunen showcased what he can bring to the table as an NBA role-player today. His shot was on for the first time in a while, and he took full advantage, knocking down catch and shoot jumpers from all over the place. The young forward doesn’t force anything, opting to wait for an open opportunity. He did get to the rim on one occasion today, but that probably isn’t something he’s going to be able to do consistently on the NBA level. On his one drive, he tossed up a weak floater, showing that he simply isn’t used to finding himself in this position. In the post, Leunen did a good job of using fakes to get contact and go to the line, where he’s very consistent. While he’s not an NBA level athlete, Leunen just might be able to become a nice NBA role player down the road.

I don't know what it would take to get Landry, but I'd love to see the Suns get him.

Carl Landry
Houston Rockets
Position: F
Height: 6-9 Weight: 248
College: Purdue
Player file | Team stats

2007-08 Statistics
PPG 8.1
RPG 4.9
APG 0.5
SPG 0.4
BPG 0.2
FG% 0.616
FT% 0.661
3P% 0.000
MPG 16.9

Last edited:

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Even assuming that Suns get Dragic signed soon, they will still have one more roster slot to fill. I'm guessiing the Suns will add some non-guaranteed contract guys for camp on the hope of picking up someone off the waiver wire.

1. Veteran Point Guard: Pargo, Cassell and Damon Stoudamire are still available (for a reason). If the Suns sign Dragic they may decide hs's not ready and could sign someone as a filler.

2. Rookie Big Man: There are a bunch of veteran big men like Juwan Howard who don't appear to have much left and of course Sean Marks. Another option is to look at rookies who may come off the waiver wire. Maarty Leunen was drafted by the Rockets in the second round, but does not appear likely to make their squad (they haven't even re-signed Landry who would be an extraordinary pickup for the Suns. Leunen is not nearly as good, but appears to be a Brian Cardinal type plyer who is not all that athletic, but can shoot the lights out from three.

He 49.2% for three his senior year in college. (41.4% as junior). In Las Vegas, Leunan shot 43.8% for three. In his last four games, he shot 13 of 26 for 50%

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Maarty-Leunen-476/

I don't know what it would take to get Landry, but I'd love to see the Suns get him.

Carl Landry
Houston Rockets
Position: F
Height: 6-9 Weight: 248
College: Purdue
Player file | Team stats

2007-08 Statistics
PPG 8.1
RPG 4.9
APG 0.5
SPG 0.4
BPG 0.2
FG% 0.616
FT% 0.661
3P% 0.000
MPG 16.9

houston would be nuts to let landry go after how fantastic he played when yao went down. he and scola together are a nice combination

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
houston would be nuts to let landry go after how fantastic he played when yao went down. he and scola together are a nice combination

Houston is listed by Hoopshype as having $71.2 million in salaries. I'm guessing they are going to have to move some guys if they are to avoid LT. Still, Landry looks like a keeper.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Houston is listed by Hoopshype as having $71.2 million in salaries. I'm guessing they are going to have to move some guys if they are to avoid LT. Still, Landry looks like a keeper.

now that they picked up ron ron, i assume battier might be on his way out the door unless they intend to start ron at the 4 and go a little small. so if battier gets traded, they may look to cut a little salary. either way, landry should be in red and white next year.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Wasn't Landry looking into a deal with a Euro team? I thought I read some team over there was interested.

I'm pretty sure the Rockets aren't interested in paying him what he wants if they're on the cusp of the pay the luxury tax, so that may be the delay there.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Wasn't Landry looking into a deal with a Euro team? I thought I read some team over there was interested.

I'm pretty sure the Rockets aren't interested in paying him what he wants if they're on the cusp of the pay the luxury tax, so that may be the delay there.

Landry does have some leverage. he had a great year (especially when yao was out) and he knows that houston needs him more than he needs houston.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching the Waiver Wire

This sort of reminds of the song Otis Redding sang, "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay."

Sometimes I feel like I am just wasting time.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
This sort of reminds of the song Otis Redding sang, "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay."

Sometimes I feel like I am just wasting time.
I like that. If the Suns don't come up with an experienced backup Point Guard to rest Nash, we'll be in dry-dock come the post-season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2004-05 Jimmy Jackson
2005-06 Tim Thomas
2007-08 Gordan Giricek

The above three players were nice pickups but the Suns are heading into their fifth season without an adequate backup PG for Nash.... a recipe for sheer disaster. Even Kerr admitted the need at this position. The Suns have been lucky at filling certain positions on the Suns roster but so far it has not extended to the backup PG position.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
The above three players were nice pickups but the Suns are heading into their fifth season without an adequate backup PG for Nash.... a recipe for sheer disaster. Even Kerr admitted the need at this position. The Suns have been lucky at filling certain positions on the Suns roster but so far it has not extended to the backup PG position.

I agree. But what I was responding to was the claim that the waiver wire is not that interesting.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. But what I was responding to was the claim that the waiver wire is not that interesting.

Assuming everything remains status quo at the PG position and Jamaal Tinsley is bought out and he would come to Phoenix for the veteran minimum. What do you think?

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
That's horrible. Still better PG than Barbosa though.

Like everyone else, I'd rather have Leandro at the SG slot since he's a lot more effective off the ball. Still, I think Leandro could do an adequate job as a third string PG in a pinch. But there are several things the coaching staff would need to do. Most of this stuff applies to his status as a SG.

1. Design plays with Leandro in mind. Leandro is not suited to run the pick and roll, so why do guys keep running over to set picks for him? Leandro is much better suited to run isolation plays because he can get by almost anyone.

2. Work with him on kick out passing. Actually, he's not the only one but the Suns have a lot of guys who can get to the basket, so kicking out to shooters should be a key element for this team. Leandro needs to be taught to look for it and not try to get to the basket every time.

3. Focus on position defense and forget about steals. D'Antoni was always pushing for steals, but this led to gambling and laving opponents open.

I think Leandro could be a Bobby Jackson type PG, but I'd rather have a true PG.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Like everyone else, I'd rather have Leandro at the SG slot since he's a lot more effective off the ball. Still, I think Leandro could do an adequate job as a third string PG in a pinch. But there are several things the coaching staff would need to do. Most of this stuff applies to his status as a SG.

1. Design plays with Leandro in mind. Leandro is not suited to run the pick and roll, so why do guys keep running over to set picks for him? Leandro is much better suited to run isolation plays because he can get by almost anyone.

2. Work with him on kick out passing. Actually, he's not the only one but the Suns have a lot of guys who can get to the basket, so kicking out to shooters should be a key element for this team. Leandro needs to be taught to look for it and not try to get to the basket every time.

3. Focus on position defense and forget about steals. D'Antoni was always pushing for steals, but this led to gambling and laving opponents open.

I think Leandro could be a Bobby Jackson type PG, but I'd rather have a true PG.

I completely agree with you on 1 and 3. I used to scream and throw fits when Amare or Diaw would try to set a pick for Barbosa. He is NOT Steve Nash and everybody was acting as if though he were. Also, very good point about position defense as opposed to gambling for steals.

As far as 2nd point goes, I really don't think Barbosa has basketball IQ required for making decisions on offense. He charges to the hoop much like an angry rhino (or Stoudemire, for that matter) and tried to put that ball in the basketb, even if there are 3 people waiting for him in the paint. He has demonstrated no floor vision and no ability to do anything but charge at the basket.

As far as Bobby Jackson comparison goes,there is one major difference between the two- Jackson was a very good defender. Problem with Barbosa is that he can't guard a chair. What makes it worse is that Nash can't guard a chair either. When you play Barbosa and Nash together, you get the worst defensive back court you can imagine.

I hope I am wrong about Barbosa and I hope that he is capable of learning something outside of taking the ball and charging to the hoop, but at this point, I really think that's all he is good for.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
A one dimensional coach makes for one dimensional players.

Leandro and Amare will become better at defense I guarantee that. Want it in writing? Here it is.

OP
OP
Irish

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
This is a perpetual debate - how much of what we see is inspite of coaching or because of coaching?

In Leandro's case, I think he CAN learn to become a better player. If he doexn't, he could end up sitting a lot - expecially if Strawberry develops an outside shot. But even at SG, I think he may need to be worried about Tucker.

My suspicion is that right now Tucker is a lot better defender than Barbosa. While not in Strawberry's class, Tucker started on a college team that consistently ranked in the lop five in the country. Physically he's a little taller than Barbosa (listed at 6'6") and is reported to have a 38" verticle. He played PF for two years in college, so he is almost certainly a lot stronger than Leandro.

Offensively, Leandro's main advantages are his speed with the ball and his three point shot. But Tucker appears to have a better mid range game and can handle contact when going to the basket. So far Tucker's three point shooting remains suspect despite 40% three point shooting in D-League last year.

In D'Antoni's world, Leandro was never really pushed by anyone who might replace him. That just won't be true this year.
--------------------------------------------------
I don't think anyone expects DJ Strawberry to get into the rotation this season, but he may end up as the "third PG". By all reports he's a terrific defender and a respectable ball handler even though he's still learning how to handle the fast break. DJ has a very good first step and can get to the basket almost as fast as Leandro. His fatal flaw is poor outside shooting.

There is no way to tell if any of these guys are going to get to the next level, but IMHO real competition for playing time is a good thing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake