We Will We Will Mock You! An Eye Toward the Future

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
As the Cardinals approach this year's draft, it will be very interesting to see what kind of an eye the organization has toward the future. Let's take a look at each position and guage the team's present and future needs.

For starters...based on what players are signed beyond 2008, here is the depth chart: (Note: for younger players who the Cards have the 4 year rights on, the 4th years are projected, even though some of them will have to be given qualified offers.)

QB: Leinart (2011)

RB: James (2009), Shipp (2009)

FB: Castille (2010)

WR: Fitzgerald (2011), Urban (2009)

LT: Gandy (2009)

LG: Wells (2010)

C: Johnson (2010), Sendlein (2010)

RG: Lutui (2009)

RT: Brown (2012)

TE: Pope (2009), Patrick (2010), Tuman (2009)

FL: Boldin (2010), Breaston (2010)

SOLB: Okeafor (2009)

SDE: Dockett (2011)

NT: Watson (2009), Branch (2010)

WDE: Robinson (2009)

WOLB: LaBoy (2011)

SILB: Hayes (2011)

WILB:

LCB: Hood (2011)

SS: Wilson (2009)

FS: Rolle (2010), Francisco (2010)

RCB:

P:

K: Rackers (2009)

LS: Hodel (2010)

In 2009, if the Cardinals are not able to re-sign any of the UFAs under contract for this year, they would have two gaping starter holes at WILB (Dansby) and RCB (Green)...and while Bryan Robinson may still be od enough to start at WDE should the Cards be unable to re-sign Antonio Smith, the DE spot will have to be addressed, as will the following spots on the depth chart: QB, RB, FB, LT, RG, SOLB, CB.

In looking at the big picture, therefore...do not be surprised if the Cardinals' first two picks are a WILB and CB.

If Southern California's Keith Rivers (6-2, 236, 4.60), for example, is available at #16...he would become the heir apparent to Dansby at WILB. Rivers has all the makings of a dynamic 3-4 WILB. The only real knock on him is that he wasn't much of a blitzer at USC...but, in the Cardinals' 3-4, they want more of a playmaker/side to side tackler than a blitzer at WILB. If you noticed, the Cards didn't blitz Dansby as much as one may have thought.

Do not rule out Penn State's Dan Connor (6-3, 233, 4.70) for the same reason. Even though Connor is projected as a late first rounder, if the Cards can't move down, they wouldn't have a shot at Connor at #50, so if they like him enough (they have been looking at him very closely), they may take him at #16. Connor, IMO, is a safe pick...he's far too instinctive and productive to ignore...and fits ideally as a 3-4 WILB, as he may not be stout enough to consistently handle the rigors of a starting MLB in the 4-3.

Did Rod Graves tip the Cardinals' hand in his presser with Paul Calvisi? I think he did when he said that there was good depth in the draft at CB, OL, RB and WR, but the draft was very thin at other positions (WILB...is one for sure)...which prompted him to say that the team needs to strike the right player or players early at the thin positions.

The wild card here at #16 may be Tennessee's Jerod Mayo (6-2, 230, 4.65) who has been skyrocketing up teams' draft boards in recent weeks. Mayo has the range and suddeness that would makes him a prolific player at the 3-4 WILB.

Conclusion: the Cards' first pick...Rivers, Connor or Mayo.

Note: It is my belief that the Cardinals will not want to surrender Calvin Pace type money to retain Karlos Dansby beyond this year. Instead, I believe they will focus their attention on re-signing DE Antonio Smith...and I feel that they believe they will have a good chance to re-sign RCB Eric Green, perhaps sometime during the latter half of the season.

At #50...if a WILB is taken in the first round, it would behoove the Cardinals to take a CB here...which may well be the case if the right RCB, like Arizona's Antoine Cason (6-0, 189, 4.50) or Oklahoma's Reggie Smith (6-1, 197, 4.50) is available at #50.

However...a couple of players to keep an eye on here are Purdue's OLB Cliff Avril (6-3, 252, 4.65), Notre Dame's DE Trevor Laws (6-1, 297, 5.20) and North Carolina St.'s DE DeMarrio Pressley (6-3, 300, 5.15).

Graves was implying the Cards would have to strike early for players at positions that are very thin in this year's draft, and there's no question that the talent pools at OLB and DE/DT are very thin this year.

Conclusion: If Cason is there at #50...he'd be the pick because he'd be great value there, but if he is not, look for Avril, Laws or Pressley to be the pick.

At #81...there's no doubt in my mind that the Cards are going to take an offensive linemen with this pick and the player they have wanted all along is Pittsburgh's G/T Mike McGlynn (6-5, 309, 5.20). If McGlynn is off the board, the Cards will likely take one of the following offensive linemen instead: Texas' T Tony Hills (6-5, 309, 4.90), Virginia Tech's T Duane Brown (6-5, 314, 5.02), Northern Iowa's Chad Rhinehart (6-5, 317, 5.31) or Toledo's John Greco (6-5, 302, 5.20).

At #116...here's where things get even more interesting if Cason didn't fall into the Cards' laps at #50. They still haven't taken a CB...but as Rod Graves said, the pool is deep at CB in this year's draft. The CBs to choose from here would likely be BC's DeJuan Tribble (5-9, 190, 4.40), USC's Terrell Thomas (6-1, 197, 4.45), LSU's Chevis Jackson (6-0, 188, 4.53) or Auburn's Patrick Lee (6-0, 194, 4.50). All of these players shined in top shelf programs playing against the nation's best teams. Having watched Tribble play every game for 4 years at BC, I can attest that prior to his injury during this past season, Tribble was as good a RCB as there was in the ACC the past two years. He plays terrific angles and he consistently gets his hands on the football. Having watched quite a bit of Thomas, Jackson and Lee, they are all similar in the sense that they play a disciplined and physical style of corner. The good news is that all these players are natural RCBs...which is what the Cardinals need in case Eric Green falters, gets hurt or moves on in free agency.

If the Cards do land Cason at #50...or take another CB there...look for this pick to be an OLB/DE...the best candidates: Georgia Tech's Darrell Robertson (6-4, 247, 4.90), Virgina Tech's Chris Ellis (6-5, 260, 4.75), Mississippi St.'s Titus Brown (6-3, 239, 4.75) or UCLA's Bruce Davis (6-3, 241, 4.65).

At #149...for some reason, I think the Cardinals, while tempted to take a RB or WR here, will add another CB or OL here. Should one of the aforementioned CBs slide to Round 5, they may hop on him, or even take a flier on Wisconsin's Jack Ikegwuonu (6-1, 201, 4.40)---a first round talent who tore his ACL--or Nebraska's Zackary Bowman (6-1, 196, 4.50)---another physical corner whose stock has dropped because he tore an ACL in 2006.

But...the two guys to keep an eye on here are UTEP's T Oniel Cousins (6-4, 301, 5.04) and Kansas' T Anthony Collins (6-5, 315, 5.25)...both of whom have the physcial skills to be good NFL players but need to be coached up on the fundamentals. Can you hear me Major Grimm?

At #185...and at #225...a WR/RB combo would likely be in the works, a la Purdue's WR Dorien Bryant (5-10, 170, 4.50) and USC's RB Chauncey Washington (6-0, 215, 4.55)...or Wisconsin's WR Paul Hubbard (6-3, 214, 4.56) and Oklahoma's RB Allen Patrick (6-1, 197, 4.50).

The Prediction: (LB Keith Rivers is off the board, otherwise he'd be the Cards' pick at #16)

1. LB Dan Connor, Penn. St. (LB Jerod Mayo, Tennessee)
2. CB Antoine Cason, Arizona (OLB Cliff Avril, Purdue)
3. G/T Mike McGlynn, Pittsburgh (G/T Chad Rhinehart, Northern Iowa)
4. OLB/DE Titus Brown, Mississippi St. (CB Terrell Thomas, USC)
5. T Anthony Collins, Kansas (T Oniel Cousins, UTEP)
6. WR Phil Hubbard, Wisconsin (WR Dorien Bryant, Purdue)
7. RB Allen Patrick, Oklahoma (RB Chauncey Washington, USC).

Just one quick note about the player most of the pundits have the Cardinals taking at #16: CB Dom Rodgers-Cromartie. Gotta love his speed and athleticism...but at #16 he's a major gamble. Small college kid who may not hold up physically in the NFL...he's not a physical player. Question: if you were the GM and you had to decide bewteen DRC and Brandon Flowers, whom would you select?

For me that's a no-brainer. Flowers thrived in a big time program against the best possible competition...and, ulike DRC, this kid plays a tough, physical style.

Finally...wouldn't it be something if the Cardinals shocked the football world and took QB Joe Flacco of Delaware with the #16 pick? Before you write me off as having gone totally insane...think about this for a second. The Cards still don't know what they have in Matt Leinart or even whether he will be able to hold up physically after two injury-riddled, less than stellar seasons. Kurt Warner is going to be 37 and is in the final year of his contract...and Whiz won a Super Bowl with a 6-6 rifle-armed QB named Ben Roethlisberger. When one watches Flacco, who may have an even better arm than Big Ben's, it's pretty enticing to think of him in a Cardinals' uniform with the WRs we have in Q and Fitz...and, get this, a TE in Ben Patrick, who was a favorite target of Flacco's at Delaware a year ago.

While scouting Patrick, maybe the Cards saw something special in Flacco, who not only possesses a big time arm, but has rare pocket vision.

You can call me insane because now, having spent the whole post predicting what Graves and the Cards will do...here's what I would do, if I could get Atlanta to agree to a trade that would likely entice them...

QB Matt Lienart to the Atlanta Falcons for RB Jerious Norwood, their #34 pick (Round 2) and their 4th round pick. I know...the cap ramifications are pretty severe...but I would do it anyway. In Norwood we get the perfect speed/homerun compliment to Edge...the plan would be to start Kurt Warner (who, IMO, should start ahead of Leinart this year anyway) for one more year or two while Whiz grooms Flacco.

1. QB Joe Flacco, Delaware. By trading Leinart to Atlanta, that means they won't take Matt Ryan at #3...which is key, because, there's a chance that if Ryan is off the board, that the Ravens could take Flacco at #8. Now the Ravens take Ryan at #8 and we get Flacco...although I's still worry about him getting by Carolina and Chicago.

2A. CB Antoine Cason, Arizona...unless Dan Connor or Quentin Groves (who I think is one of the more dynamic players in this draft) slides here. In essence we get first round value here with the #34 pick from Atlanta.

2B. LB Cliff Avril, Purdue. This guy is the perfect fit for our defense. Tough against both the run and getting after the QB.

3. WR Andre Caldwell, Florida. Explosive WR our offense needs...the missing link. He and Norwood would inject instant speed and homerun ability.

4A. T Duane Brown, Virginia Tech. Great talent...needs to be honed on the fundamentals.

4B. CB Terrell Thomas, USC. Why not load the wagon at an area of need?

5. DE Wallace Gilberry, Alabama. Depth needed here and Gilberry is one of my favorite sleepers in thid draft.

6. G Adam Kraus, Michigan. Inside mauler, who could be an eventual starter,

7. LB J Leman, Illinois. This kid is tough. Will excell on special teams.

I have to run...I've got to go to group therapy now. Today we are focusing on group hugs!

Hugs to all of you...it's a fun week ahead isn't it?

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If our plan is to draft an heir apparent WILB in anticipation of Dansby leaving, I will dive right back into utterly ripping Rod Graves and this organization to shreds. It would be the STUPIDEST idea in the frickin' world for us. AT BEST it would likely be a lateral move. AT BEST. And we do NOT need lateral moves. We need to improve our talent level, not try to hopefully maintain it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If our plan is to draft an heir apparent WILB in anticipation of Dansby leaving, I will dive right back into utterly ripping Rod Graves and this organization to shreds. It would be the STUPIDEST idea in the frickin' world for us. AT BEST it would likely be a lateral move. AT BEST. And we do NOT need lateral moves. We need to improve our talent level, not try to hopefully maintain it.
I will be right there with you if this is the case. I can look the other way on the Leonard Davis/Levi Brown issue, but if it happens with Dansby...

ItsInTheCards

Bomb2Quan
Reaction score
the Cards cant afford to put off the RB position this year without question. They MUST do better than a 7th round guy.

this is the year to get a guy in one of the early rounds....after passing on AP, they cant screw this up with all of the quality at the top

an Allen Patrick/Chauncey Washington/Thomas Brown, etc is unacceptable in this draft with the sheer depth in the first 2 rounds

Arrington is gone next year for sure (if not cut in camp this year), and Shipp is not a guy that can be depended on to shoulder even part of the load

at 31 next year, and a salary of close to 6 mil is possibly a luxury they cant afford for #32 in 2009

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
man-- if Dan Connor is the pick

I expect wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of clothing of a biblical scale on ASFN

If Joe Flacco is the pick, I will wander the streets in bewilderment -- that would be a classic "old school" George Boone pick

ItsInTheCards

Bomb2Quan
Reaction score
man-- if Dan Connor is the pick

I expect wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of clothing of a biblical scale on ASFN

If Joe Flacco is the pick, I will wander the streets in bewilderment -- that would be a classic "old school" George Boone pick

at 16? hell yeah....I'd take Cason at 16 and not think twice if it was between him and Dan

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Did Rod Graves tip the Cardinals' hand in his presser with Paul Calvisi? I think he did when he said that there was good depth in the draft at CB, OL, RB and WR, but the draft was very thin at other positions (WILB...is one for sure)...which prompted him to say that the team needs to strike the right player or players early at the thin positions.

Mitch you may want to listen to it again. He didnt mention RB in his list of positions with good depth. He mentioned OL, WR, and CB in that order. I thought I missed it so I listened to it 3 times and he never even mentioned RB once in the whole interview.

In fact it coincides with what Graves was quoted as saying in an interview with Urban. "At running back – a position the Cards are looking at – Graves said it isn’t as deep, “and thank goodness for the juniors.”

http://azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2312

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch you may want to listen to it again. He didnt mention RB in his list of positions with good depth. He mentioned OL, WR, and CB in that order. I thought I missed it so I listened to it 3 times and he never even mentioned RB once in the whole interview.

In fact it coincides with what Graves was quoted as saying in an interview with Urban. "At running back – a position the Cards are looking at – Graves said it isn’t as deep, “and thank goodness for the juniors.”

I concur. I think you slipped up on this one Mitch.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Wow Mitch, my head is spinning from all those scenarios.:help:

1st, why IF Atlanta had to choose between your boy BC alum Matt Ryan and an allready injured and a visible socialite Lienart. Nuff said, they allready had problems with leadership they won't go that way. They need to start from scratch and build and they'll use EVERY ONE of their picks, much to our chagrin.:|

IF Stewart or Mendenhall are available, again in the infamous words of that original guru Bill Walsh. "You don't worry where you pick somebody, but how they will play". But when you have players of that calliber available at such a vital position, you jump at it IMO. You can't just look at how far players are signed through (allthough the Cards do I'm sure when looking at their draft board) but the quality you cam upgrade to if someone falls in your lap.

In this particular draft, I agree that DCR is a reach at 16, allthough numberous draft gurus say he is the value there. He is probobly strictly a LCB on the outside and isn't at all physical to support the outside. And his competition was suspect. He's a project.

Stewart, Mendenhall, Rivers, Williams, Otah, Balmer, Merling. One of them will be there. All will play at a high level, soon. Everyone else you can trade down to get.

Likewise you dont worry about the extra picks if those picks might not contribute anyway. You take your shots when presented them.

I don't like your mock (sorry) just because there are too many pressured reaches. Not a good way to draft.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
:stupid:

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mitch, that's the best stuff I've read all week! Thanks.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think if the Leinart trade were to happen (doubtful) it would happen when Atlanta was on the clock at 34 with Flacco still on the board.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

Yeah, thanks Joe. Graves didn't mention RB...so maybe it's RB he's alluding to (and perhaps LB and DE/DT) when he says teams better get the good players at thin positions fast.

I just returned from group therapy...and am thinking more sanely now.

I know we need to stick with Leinart and try to make good on our investment. Flacco has some intriguing upside, but he's a gamble in that he played at a lower level, and one never knows how well a player will assimilate into the NFL. Plus, Leinart has two years under his belt and is now in a position to produce.

The Dansby situation is an issue. It seems the Cards want to pay the $8M this year and see if Dansby plays at a high enough level again to warrant the huge bucks. Dansby has indicated himself that he wants a contract that exceeds the deal Calvin Pace signed for...and he has a good point in that Pace surely wasn't more valuable to the defense than Dansby was.

Thus...it all looks like a stalemate...with the Cards in a wait and see mode and Dansby in the mindset that he deserves top dollar.

Dansby was highly motivated last year...and he flourished at WILB. But, the Cards have a big off-season ahead of them next year, as so many of their current players and recent UFA signees are playing this year on one year contracts. Dansby has to be worth the big salary, because it may cost them the cap space to re-sign other key players like Antonio Smith and Eric Green.

My hunch still is that the #16 pick will be a LB unless Leodis McKelvin slides to #16.

I am not so sure the Cards have RB as a first three round priority in this draft. But, then again, they did just bring in Stewart and Johnson for visits.

Regardless, this draft is harder to figure out this year in terms of what the Cardinals will do.

Thanks, Black.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If our plan is to draft an heir apparent WILB in anticipation of Dansby leaving... It would be the STUPIDEST idea in the frickin' world for us.
I disagree. I think it would signal that Dansby has every intention of playing for someone else in 2009, and it's a wise move if that's the case.

Would I rather have Dansby? Hell yeah. That's a no-brainer, even for Graves. But if Connor, Rivers or Jerod is the pick at #16, then I think the Cards obviously know something we don't.

EDIT: Not to mention it would give us quite a bit of flexibility to continue to move between 3-4 and 4-3 formations and still have suitable players.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Not to mention it would give us quite a bit of flexibility to continue to move between 3-4 and 4-3 formations and still have suitable players.

Yup. They know he wont accept what we are offering.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hugs to all of you...it's a fun week ahead isn't it?[/quote]

If they gave a masters degree in nfl draft you will get one!! there is enough to discuss in this thesis to talk about all week. It is irrelevant whether one agrees or disagrees with your points of view...they are well thought out and very interesting. I for one agree with some of your points and question others....but as you said it will be fun all week. So about 2.5 hours into the draft we should know....My guess...if any are available....Mendenhall, Jenkens,
DRC, Rivers in that order...but don't be shocked if it is Stewart...that just means he is healthy enough to play...remember Peterson was questioned as well and he turned out to be pretty good!!

...oh, by the way...great job.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Couldn't have said it better myself. A loser menatality and the reason this organization gets just so far and then levels out or goes backwards.

Hopefully this is a lesson learned and we will have a different attitude going forward. I for one don't believe this will happen.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys--Imagine if the team CAN'T get Dansby signed next year and it comes out that Graves knew it wasn't going to happen as early as the spring of 2008. You guys would crucify him if we didn't have a contingency plan.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

ditto

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Guys--Imagine if the team CAN'T get Dansby signed next year and it comes out that Graves knew it wasn't going to happen as early as the spring of 2008. You guys would crucify him if we didn't have a contingency plan.

How could he possibly think its better for the Cards to let him walk and hope like heck we draft someone of equal value. I say we pay Dansby what the market dictates, draft another pro bowl talent, and win a playoff game.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How could he possibly think its better for the Cards to let him walk and hope like heck we draft someone of equal value. I say we pay Dansby what the market dictates, draft another pro bowl talent, and win a playoff game.
The point is that it's not just up to Graves. Dansby has to sign on the dotted line. Read the post: I'm sure Graves realizes it would be better to have Dansby. IMO, if one of these LBs is the pick, Graves doesn't like the chances of Dansby doing that.

No one is saying it'd be better to draft a rookie LB and let Dansby walk. All I'm saying is that it's better to draft a rookie LB if Dansby's going to walk.

Let me ask you guys this: Does anyone get the sense that Dansby has a ton of loyalty to Arizona?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

If our first rounder this year pans out, I wouldn't crucify him at all. We have to fill a need in the first round and we cannot fill every need for this season let alone needs for the 2009 season. You got to pick and choice your poison and if he hits on the 1st rounder this year there will be no hard feelings.

Free agency could fill the void as could the draft where good LB's fall to the late 1st round all the time more so then any other position in the draft. Not to mention there are some pretty good senior LB's this year and this list isnt even considering the juniors.

Now if after the 2009 draft we still dont have a viable replacement then he would get crucified probably.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The point is that it's not just up to Graves. Dansby has to sign on the dotted line. Read the post: I'm sure Graves realizes it would be better to have Dansby. IMO, if one of these LBs is the pick, Graves doesn't like the chances of Dansby doing that.

No one is saying it'd be better to draft a rookie LB and let Dansby walk. All I'm saying is that it's better to draft a rookie LB if Dansby's going to walk.

Let me ask you guys this: Does anyone get the sense that Dansby has a ton of loyalty to Arizona?

How much loyalty is there any more period. Yes we've seen Boldin and Dockett to some extent sign below market or just exactly at market value when if they pressed, probobly could have gotten a better offer from somewhere else if they really wanted to go that route. But they didn't. As for Dansby, I can't tell. I Know he's worth what Pace got and a little more. The Jets on top of signing him and Faneca just re-uped their SS for upwards of $36 Mil. for 5 yrs. I know if they can do it so can we. Loyalty is a two way street. Boldin is another real question. Will the team also do right by him. And Wilson runs out after next season too.

Finally, with the draft. The only LB at #16 that would be acceptable would be Rivers, IMO. I could see them go that way,easily. Otherwise Avril at #50, but that means that they would pass mtl on one of the best RB's to go CB and that's just not wise, IMO.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

The contingency plan for Dansby is the franchise tag next season.

DaisyCutter

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If our first rounder this year pans out, I wouldn't crucify him at all. We have to fill a need in the first round and we cannot fill every need for this season let alone needs for the 2009 season. You got to pick and choice your poison and if he hits on the 1st rounder this year there will be no hard feelings.

Free agency could fill the void as could the draft where good LB's fall to the late 1st round all the time more so then any other position in the draft. Not to mention there are some pretty good senior LB's this year and this list isnt even considering the juniors.

Now if after the 2009 draft we still dont have a viable replacement then he would get crucified probably.

Not to mention that LB is probably the easiest position in the NFL--including running back--to immediately come in and contribute at a high level. That's why so many DROYs tend to be linebackers, even though they're rarely drafted in the first round.

If the Cards believed that this team was still a year or two from competing, that would make some sense. But everything (signing older free agents, one-year contracts, keeping Edge, etc.) seems to suggest that the Cards are making their push right now to win the division and make the playoffs.

Getting players in the first three rounds who can make positive contributions immediately (namely, CB, RB, and DEs) should be the priority, not assuming that you're not going to sign your best defensive free agent (and Dansby's better than Antonio Smith and Eric Green put together) 10 months from now.