Week 4 Heroes and Goats

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It looked like John Brown slowed down on that punt return to let his blockers set up in front of him... not realizing that someone was gonna tackle him from behind. Luckily he didn't fumble.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree on Brown there was another play from I think the 5 yard line where he caught a short pass made a great move and accelerated upfield. To my utter surprise just when I expected him to turn the jets on and leave everyone in the dust, he covered up the ball with both hands slowed up and ducked his head to take the impact from a Rams DB that came over and tackled him.

I don't think he's 100% and he knew he was going to get caught there so he decided to protect the ball, smart, but surprising he's so fast normally that you just don't expect him to do that.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually Floyd came back in and had a couple of big catches including our only TD. Not that this makes his drops ok. Love DJ but that fumble keeps him off the list. Couldn't have come at a more critical time.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
PFF said that Humphries was the top performer on our Oline yesterday. So its not fair to attack him.

PFF also said Minter was the *worst defender in the NFL yesterday. Trash in both run D and pass D.

*Technically he was 2nd worst, but Julio Jones 300 yard day was somewhat a fluke. IMO Minter takes the official title as worst since it was vs an average offense.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Actually Floyd came back in and had a couple of big catches including our only TD. Not that this makes his drops ok. Love DJ but that fumble keeps him off the list. Couldn't have come at a more critical time.

Because Floyd has all the experience in the hurry-up offense. He played 35 offensive snaps (45% of the 77 total). Jaron Brown played in 58% of the snaps, and there was confusion at the end of the game on which one should be in.

PFF said that Humphries was the top performer on our Oline yesterday. So its not fair to attack him.

PFF also said Minter was the *worst defender in the NFL yesterday. Trash in both run D and pass D.

*Technically he was 2nd worst, but Julio Jones 300 yard day was somewhat a fluke. IMO Minter takes the official title as worst since it was vs an average offense.

PFF is a dumb site with fake "stats." Humphries had a bad day yesterday.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
No heroes... As for Goats:

1.) Coaches... Something went wrong this offseason and it carried thru camp. Don't know what it is. But this team is about as uninspired as any "Super Bowl" team I have ever seen.

2.) How can you let Rashad Johnson AND Powers go, and not have legit replacements?? Head-scratcher...

3.) Special Teams... We are horrendous. And it falls on Jones and BA for not coaching them up, and SK for not ensuring we had the talent to be effective.

4.) STUPID Penalties... We continue to shoot ourselves in the foot in hyper-critical moments... It's a lack of focus... And the coaches take the brunt of the blame.

5.) Bettcher... WHY THE HELL do we allow Minter to be on the field in moments when he should be sitting on the bench?? WHY THE HELL is our defense unsettled and running around in confusion while the opposing offense is snapping the ball???

Jason1970

Reaction score
No heroes... As for Goats:

1.) Coaches... Something went wrong this offseason and it carried thru camp. Don't know what it is. But this team is about as uninspired as any "Super Bowl" team I have ever seen.

2.) How can you let Rashad Johnson AND Powers go, and not have legit replacements?? Head-scratcher...

3.) Special Teams... We are horrendous. And it falls on Jones and BA for not coaching them up, and SK for not ensuring we had the talent to be effective.

4.) STUPID Penalties... We continue to shoot ourselves in the foot in hyper-critical moments... It's a lack of focus... And the coaches take the brunt of the blame.

5.) Bettcher... WHY THE HELL do we allow Minter to be on the field in moments when he should be sitting on the bench?? WHY THE HELL is our defense unsettled and running around in confusion while the opposing offense is snapping the ball???

They must be running the Todd Graham D scheme were everyone does not know their assigments

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Humphries did not have a good day, but I liked that he didn't fall apart as he was struggling. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I was encouraged by his ability to bounce back yesterday. A lot of young lineman would have folded.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Humphries did not have a good day, but I liked that he didn't fall apart as he was struggling. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I was encouraged by his ability to bounce back yesterday. A lot of young lineman would have folded.

Agreed and some vets will have bad days against that line.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Do you know who PFF is? It's some guy in England and a handful of volunteers/interns. It's not about being smarter; it's about understanding what goes into the black box and what comes out.

+1.

Even though I had this debate with you about these stats a few years ago.......at least you have seen the light.

Advanced stats has too much "opinion" in them for me to take them seriously.

But, I could not be more on the opposite side of the fence concerning Calais Campbell. Tackle someone, make a big play at some point. He is being paid to be a difference maker, not a role player.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why are you blocked by Urban, K9? Gotta be a decent story behind that..

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not this week. But he's got his head you know where too often for a vet wideout. You can't make that read against Buffalo. Way too costly. It's like he doesn't know the actual play calls.

I've told many people this before but Floyd was indirectly responsible for Whiz benching Skelton for Ryan Lindley. At the start of that season Skelton was hurt so Kolb was starting. IIRC Floyd was either a rookie or in his 2nd year at the time and he was still constantly lining up incorrectly, at times literally on the wrong side. Kolb for all his issues, was very good at recognizing that and moving floyd, it was why you constantly saw Kolb at the LOS telling Floyd where to go and it even led to some timeouts and delay of game penalties because Floyd was in the wrong spot.

When Skelton became the starter again he kept running plays with Floyd lined up incorrectly. Whiz kept hammering on him yes it's Floyd who's lining up wrong but it's your job as QB to get him lined up correctly.

We went into I think the Atlanta game, Skelton had just thrown a bad INT when we got the ball back with a turnover of our own. ON a critical 3rd down play they had a play called for Rob Housler and Floyd lined up on the wrong side, Skelton didn't move him, ran the play and Floyd ran the correct route, from the wrong side, right into where Housler was going screwed the whole play up and we didn't get the first down. Whiz went nuts on the sideline and the next time we took the field, Lindley was the QB.

Whiz was so furious with Skelton for not being able to get Floyd lined up correctly that he literally benched him. I googled it Floyd was a rookie and it was Atlanta that the change happened.

He's obviously better than that now but it's pretty frightening this is his FIFTH season and he's still running the wrong routes and stuff.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
+1.

Even though I had this debate with you about these stats a few years ago.......at least you have seen the light.

Advanced stats has too much "opinion" in them for me to take them seriously.

But, I could not be more on the opposite side of the fence concerning Calais Campbell. Tackle someone, make a big play at some point. He is being paid to be a difference maker, not a role player.

It depends on the stat, and what you're using it for. I don't like PFF's ratings because they're not "Stats". They're aggregations of one person's opinion based on film study, but not knowing what the design of the play was or the individual player's responsibility. I trusted Chopper's ratings of Jonathan Cooper because I'd seen enough of him to know; I don't trust the PFF game charters.

I do trust, like and rely on Football Outsiders' stats because they have a history of predictive value and they're based on historical averages, not necessarily the "read" of the site's producers. The producers disagree with their models ALL THE TIME, but more often than not, the models are correct and the biased analysts are wrong.

Why are you blocked by Urban, K9? Gotta be a decent story behind that..

Darren actually knows me. I'm not sure why he blocked me for a little while. I think I'm back on his good side, though.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05