We'll know soon whether McCown is ready for QB job

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
We'll know soon whether McCown is ready for QB job

By Scott Bordow, Tribune Columnist

FLAGSTAFF — Cardinals coach Dennis Green has velcroed himself to Josh McCown, but this is where it gets sticky.

The regular season begins in 38 days and no one can be sure if McCown is the gutsy, athletic kid who played well in the final three games of the 2003 season or the panic-stricken quarterback who flipped the ball backwards in his end zone to tackle L.J. Shelton during a loss to San Francisco in early December.

The answer will in large part define the Cardinals' season — and their future.

If McCown is who Green thinks he is — a facsimile of Brett Favre — the wonder years may soon be upon us.

If he's not, well, is it too late to draft Philip Rivers or Ben Roethlisberger?
McCown has the physical skills. Strong arm, quick feet, a big heart. In his three starts last season he completed 59-of-98 passes for 670 yards, with three touchdowns and two interceptions.

Just as important, McCown earned the respect of his teammates. He didn't try to play the part of a big-time NFL quarterback. He was confident yet humble, and the veterans quickly accepted him into the huddle.

It didn't hurt that he was the polar opposite of Jeff Blake, who blamed everybody but himself for the Cardinals' problems.

“He's a likeable guy,” former Arizona center Pete Kendall said of McCown. “He's been given a great deal of respect by the nature of his position, but he's also trying to earn more. There's a social hierarchy to football, and Josh knows who he is.”

The question is whether McCown's audition made him ready for prime time. Three games does not a quarterback make.

“Everybody has to start somewhere,” said McCown, a third-round pick of the Cardinals in the 2002 draft. “You can ask me about this now and hopefully by the end of the year I don't have to answer it anymore.”

Until then, the questions are fair game.

Can McCown read defenses and make the right calls at the line of scrimmage?

Can he pick up blitzes?

Can he find a second, third or fourth receiver if his primary target is covered?
A quarterback can have Dan Marino's arm and Michael Vick's legs, but if he can't think his way through a game, he'll soon be carrying a clipboard.

“The biggest transition for Josh is going to be transferring the knowledge of the game from the chalkboard to the playing field because it happens real fast out there,” Kendall said.

Too fast for a lot of young quarterbacks. But when it's suggested to Green that McCown may hit a few rough patches this season, the Cardinals coach reacts as if you've questioned his manhood.

“He's not that young,” Green said. “Most players by the time they get into their third year you'd expect them to start. Josh is ready.”

Green compares McCown, 25, to St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger and Seattle Seahawks QB Matt Hasselbeck, both of whom became starters after long apprenticeships.

“One of the things I struggle with is that you guys (reporters) have been very good over the years of taking a situation and making it seem like it's unique to Arizona,” Green said.

“How many starts did Marc Bulger have before last year? He had none to answer the question. So why wouldn't we expect the same thing from Josh McCown? If somebody can give me an answer, then I'll listen to you.”

Well, other than the obvious — Bulger can hand off the ball to Marshall Faulk — there's this: Green's wrong.

Bulger started seven games for the Rams in 2002 before becoming the full-time starter last season. The extended test run didn't adequately prepare Bulger; he threw as many interceptions (22) as touchdowns last season.

That doesn't mean McCown will trip over his shoelaces this year. He works as hard as anyone on the team, and he desperately wants to prove his worth.

But he is what is, an inexperienced quarterback being thrown to the Bill Belichicks. “Right now I have three games, but I learned more in those three games than in two years of being a backup,” McCown said. “You get out there and you're able to make mistakes and learn from them. I did.

“You see it happen all the time, guys coming out of nowhere, like Marc Bulger or (Carolina Panthers quarterback) Jake Delhomme. There has to be a starting point. Hopefully this will be mine.”

http://www.aztrib.com/index.php?sty=25800

chickenhead

Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
The regular season begins in 38 days and no one can be sure if McCown is the gutsy, athletic kid who played well in the final three games of the 2003 season or the panic-stricken quarterback who flipped the ball backwards in his end zone to tackle L.J. Shelton during a loss to San Francisco in early December.
Ah, all-or-nothing world of sports journalism. Maybe--maybe--there's chance that he'll fall somewhere in between. McCown has three more NFL starts and ten more appearances than Rivers or Roethlisberger, plus two more seasons of learning on the sidelines. God forbid if Rivers or Roethlisberger make some rookie mistakes in their first few appearances.

I guess all I can say is that I'm excited to see what McCown can do this year--and that's great in my mind. Reminds me of waiting for Jake to break into the starter role. All in all, it's a lot more exciting than Blake, Boomer, Dave Krieg, or any of the other golden years vets we've signed.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
It's pretty much guranteed that Roth, Rivers and Manning will have some shocking moments when they take their first snaps. They won't be ready this year, I'm expecting some David Carr type numbers if any team is stupid enough to start them this year.

Hypothetically, they wouldn't even be able to 'help out' if everything goes to hell with McCown anyway. It would be like putting more fuel on the fire if you replaced McCown with any of the above. So the drafting a QB argument is bunk at the moment anyway.

This must be an exciting yet scary time for Josh though. Your chance to make a name for yourself and earn some big money. The downside of it all being that he could fail and lose it all. Or face the un-certainity of an up and down year with your contract up next year. Oh to be in the NFL.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
chickenhead said:
All in all, it's a lot more exciting than Blake, Boomer, Dave Krieg, or any of the other golden years vets we've signed.

Actually, I thought Boomer did a pretty decent job while he was here. He certainly led some exciting games. And his bashing of the Bidwills during his broadcasts was pretty entertaining too.

Go Cards!!!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Capital Card said:
Actually, I thought Boomer did a pretty decent job while he was here. He certainly led some exciting games. And his bashing of the Bidwills during his broadcasts was pretty entertaining too.

Go Cards!!!

Did you get to go to the game at RFK in '96 when Boomer threw for 522 yards?

I saw it on TV. That was entertainment. Cards win 37-34 in OT. :thumbup:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
“You get out there and you're able to make mistakes and learn from them. I did.

Josh hits the nail on the head with this one.

Josh only threw to LJ once, he has not repeated that mistake.

The more I hear from this kid, the more I like him.

spanky1

Reaction score
Hell.......Rivers hasn't even signed as of today. My guess is that Brees starts and plays better than expected.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Actually, when I mentioned Boomer I was thinking of that 500 yard game. Don't get me wrong, there were great moments from a number of the veterans who came in. However, the idea of someone building a career as a Cardinal is more exciting to me than a stopgap. I see Boomer on CBS all the time mentioning the Bengals, but never the Cards. Hopefully someday we'll have McCown to do that :thumbup:

Lenny_Biscuit

Rookie
Reaction score
I heard this guy (Scott Bordow) on 1060 this morning. I actually can get 1060 in Tucson. He just seems to have a hatred for the Cardinals and especially Green. Funny thing is this morning they were talking about Kendall and he said you don't see Parcels or Jimmy Johnson calling a guy a starter and then cutting them at the beginning of camp. If he only would have waited an hour he could have seen Parcels do just that. I don't want the local media to just be enamored homers, but it would be nice if a few of them did not detest the team they are covering. I have seen other cities were the press coverage is tough, much tougher than here, but that is usually out of a deep love and passion for their team. I hope Green gives the media hell. What are they going to do start writing negative articles about the Cards? ;)

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
CardNots said:
Josh hits the nail on the head with this one.

Josh only threw to LJ once, he has not repeated that mistake.

The more I hear from this kid, the more I like him.
Well he said he mistook LJ for Shipp. Now that Big is playing LT I doubt he makes that mistake again. Otherwise he may want to change his color contacts.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
FLAGSTAFF — Cardinals coach Dennis Green has velcroed himself to Josh McCown, but this is where it gets sticky.
When was the last time that Green "Velcroed" himself to a QB? If Bordow had half a brain he would remember that Green isn't shy to change QB's. In fact he has had a lot of sucess with multiple QBs.

Bordow is you classic Cardinal Basher. Nothing they do is right.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lenny_Biscuit said:
I heard this guy (Scott Bordow) on 1060 this morning. I actually can get 1060 in Tucson. He just seems to have a hatred for the Cardinals and especially Green. Funny thing is this morning they were talking about Kendall and he said you don't see Parcels or Jimmy Johnson calling a guy a starter and then cutting them at the beginning of camp. If he only would have waited an hour he could have seen Parcels do just that.
Yeah I was listening to that to. I love how he just made an ass out of himself!

:lol:

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Did you get to go to the game at RFK in '96 when Boomer threw for 522 yards?

I saw it on TV. That was entertainment. Cards win 37-34 in OT. :thumbup:

I watched that game on TV too. Great game. I didn't have the contacts (or the cash) to score tickets to Dredskin games back in 96.

Go Cards!!!