Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
DraftTek:

13. AZ: Stephon Gilmore, CB, 6-0, 190, South Carolina

80. AZ: Mitchell Schwartz, T, 6-5, 318, California

112. AZ: Chandler Jones, OLB, 6-5, 266, Syracuse

151. AZ: James-Michael Johnson, SILB, 6-1, 241, Nevada

177. AZ: Ryan Lindley, QB, 6-4, 230, San Diego St.

185. AZ: Dan Herron, RB, 5-10, 212, Ohio St.

221. AZ: David Paulson, TE, 6-3, 246, Oregon

Notes: Gilmore is rising up draft charts very swiftly---big, physical CB in the Horton mold. Schwartz is one of the more intriguing T prospects---plays with a mean streak, and physcially he seems to fir the Cardinals' mold. Jones is a bit of an enigma---some like Todd McShay love him (he has him going to the NE Patriots in the first round at #27 in his latest mock), others see him as playing too upright to be consistently effective in NFL defenses. Johnson, imo, is one of the best sleepers in this draft---this kid fills it and chases plays down. The Cardinals saw a lot of Lindley when they were scouting WR Demarco Sampson last year, thus this pick could have some credence. Herron averaged over 5.0 ypc at Ohio St the last two years and rushed fro close to 1200 yards in 2010. Paulson had a very good season at Oregon, with 6 TDs to his credit.

Draft Site:

13. AZ: Courtney Upshaw, OLB, 6-2, 262, Alabama

80. AZ: Nate Potter, T, 6-6, 293, Boise St.

112. AZ: Robert Turbin, RB, 5-10, 202, Utah St.

151. AZ: Greg Childs, WR, 6-3, 217, Arkansas

177. AZ: Shaun Prater, CB, 5-11, 172, Iowa

185. AZ: Asa Jackson, CB, 5-10, 188, Cal Poly

221. AZ: Logan Harrell, 6-2, 275, Fresno St.

Notes: Upshaw doesn't wow anyone in workouts---but he's tenacious when the lights are on. Potter is well trained as a pass happy left tackle and has the good bend and agility, but lack the brute power the Cardinals covet. Turbin is one of the bets players in this draft, imo. May be the hardest, toughest runner inside the tackles. Childs recently ran a 4.4 at his Pro Day and now seems fully recovered from his patella injury. He was very good before the injury. Prater was ALL Big Ten and plays faster and tougher than his times would indicate. i think he's a lot like William Gay. Jackson is a small school gem CB---has a very good pro day, but the Cardinals were not in attendance. Harrell is a pass rushing and tackle for loss force when he's healthy and focused.

So what do you think---if you had to choose between the two, which one would you prefer?

If you have the time---it would be fun to go to both DraftTek and Draft Site and create your own Mock---with the rules being that the player you choose for each round HAS to be available at the pick on both drafts. I am going to try it in a minute and will give you my choices.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Neither of those drafts has Decastro, Ingram, or Floyd going to us. Therefore, neither.

The Draftek mock shows only Decastro off the board, and your second mock only says "draft site:" so I couldn't find who might have been on the board for that one.

I like both tackles in the 3rd.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can't say I care for either at the top given what could be on the board at #13.

Courtney Upshaw, OLB, 6-2, 262, Alabama

From what I gather he's increasingly being viewed as too small to play end in a 4-3 and without the skills to play OLB in a 3-4. He and Martin are fast becoming my candidates for precipitous fall on Draft Day.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Prefer the 2nd option. However, I would replace Upshaw with either Perry, Floyd, or Mercilus. Plus, I would draft Omar Bolden in the 5th round.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
It's easier to just make your mocks from each site, as to what players are available when the Cardinals pick. So , here are my mocks:

DraftTek:

13. Luke Keuchly, LB, Boston College

80. Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia

112. Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas

151. Ryan Miller, G/T. Colorado

177. Levi Adcock, T, Oklahoma St.

185. Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa

221. Tysyn Hartman, S, Kansas St.

Draft Site:

13. Mark Barron, S, Alabama

80. Chris Givens, WR, Wake Forest

112. Robert Turbin, RB, Utah St.

151. Brandon Mosely, T, Auburn

177. Miles Burris, LB, San Diego St.

185. Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly

221. James-Michael Johnson, LB, Nevada

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Can't say I care for either at the top given what could be on the board at #13.

Courtney Upshaw, OLB, 6-2, 262, Alabama

From what I gather he's increasingly being viewed as too small to play end in a 4-3 and without the skills to play OLB in a 3-4. He and Martin are fast becoming my candidates for precipitous fall on Draft Day.

279 lbs at his pro day and I believe he ran a 4.8 40. I get that 40 times aren't the end all, be all, but he has looked terrible in LB drills and just isn't a good enough athlete to play OLB in the NFL.

Quagmire

The thread killa strikes again
Reaction score
Here is my dream scenario using draftsite.com

1 - Melvin Ingram DE/OLB - South Carollina
3 - Nate Potter OT - Boise St
4 - George Iloka S - Boise St
5 - Joe Adams WR - Arkansas
6 - Shaun Prater CB - Iowa
6 - Bryan Anger P - Cal
7 - James-Michael Johnson ILB - Nevada

I would prefer to trade down in the 1st if DeCastro/Kuechly/Reiff are off the board. Floyd is tempting, but there is so much WR depth in this draft. All the other picks looked good at the combine and could be starters in year 2 or 3. However, Anger would provide the biggest immediate impact in changing field position for our top 10 defense next year.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

6 - Bryan Anger P - Cal

I would prefer to trade down in the 1st if DeCastro/Kuechly/Reiff are off the board. Floyd is tempting, but there is so much WR depth in this draft. All the other picks looked good at the combine and could be starters in year 2 or 3. However, Anger would provide the biggest immediate impact in changing field position for our top 10 defense next year.

Like this, and your thinking.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

6 - Bryan Anger P - Cal

Excellent choices, Quagmire!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
It's easier to just make your mocks from each site, as to what players are available when the Cardinals pick. So , here are my mocks:

DraftTek:

13. Luke Keuchly, LB, Boston College

80. Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia

112. Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas

151. Ryan Miller, G/T. Colorado

177. Levi Adcock, T, Oklahoma St.

185. Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa

221. Tysyn Hartman, S, Kansas St.

Draft Site:

13. Mark Barron, S, Alabama

80. Chris Givens, WR, Wake Forest

112. Robert Turbin, RB, Utah St.

151. Brandon Mosely, T, Auburn

177. Miles Burris, LB, San Diego St.

185. Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly

221. James-Michael Johnson, LB, Nevada

I would luv either of those 2 draft as we would know we're getting a talented & pretty much bust-proof #1 pick.

I absolutely luv the long range careers of Givens & Irvin.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I would slay small villages to get Potter in the 3rd. I think he's the kind of OT we need.

Maybe, but he's not the kind of OT we want.

Again: look back at the guys we've started at the OT position under Whis's tenure. They're all over 315 and both Levi and Brandon Keith (handpicked by Grimm) were over 320.

Potter would be a guard in our system, and we're not going to draft him. He'll be good for Houston or Washington, though.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Again: look back at the guys we've started at the OT position under Whis's tenure. They're all over 315 and both Levi and Brandon Keith (handpicked by Grimm) were over 320.

Potter would be a guard in our system, and we're not going to draft him. He'll be good for Houston or Washington, though.

I agree K9, Potter probably isn't even on the Cards board.

Which is exactly why the Cards fail in the OT department!!! Bigger isn't always better IMO

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Maybe they'll eventually see the error of their ways. This kid can pass block, and we desperately need OTs that can pass block for days.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
279 lbs at his pro day and I believe he ran a 4.8 40. I get that 40 times aren't the end all, be all, but he has looked terrible in LB drills and just isn't a good enough athlete to play OLB in the NFL.

I think we would all be missing the boat if we ignored his game tape. Upshaw is a run stuffing beast. We will need that against gore, jackson & lynch.

IMO we must focus on defending the run or protecting the QB with our 1st pick. A WR would be a short-sighted luxury that would not immediately improve our football team.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think we would all be missing the boat if we ignored his game tape. Upshaw is a run stuffing beast. We will need that against gore, jackson & lynch.

IMO we must focus on defending the run or protecting the QB with our 1st pick. A WR would be a short-sighted luxury that would not immediately improve our football team.

That isn't an OLBer's primary duty, however. First and foremost, he has to get to the QB. OLBer's aren't run stuffers in the 3-4. They help set the edge, but have to be agile enough to get to the QB as well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

We didn't lose to Washington, Seattle, the Giants (54 rush yards allowed!), Pittsburgh (91 yards rushing! For the whole team!), or Baltimore because we couldn't stop the run. We lost those games because we couldn't attack the opposing quarterback.

The priority needs to be what it is for every team in the NFL: finding a way to pressure the opposing quarterback and to make plays through the air. Protection was fine last year, but Kolb ran himself into sacks and Skelton couldn't find the open man.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We didn't lose to Washington, Seattle, the Giants (54 rush yards allowed!), Pittsburgh (91 yards rushing! For the whole team!), or Baltimore because we couldn't stop the run. We lost those games because we couldn't attack the opposing quarterback.

The priority needs to be what it is for every team in the NFL: finding a way to pressure the opposing quarterback and to make plays through the air. Protection was fine last year, but Kolb ran himself into sacks and Skelton couldn't find the open man.

Yes. We need players to sack QBs not stop running backs for 2 yard gains.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I REALLY BELIEVE it would be best if we traded back in this draft.

Both Upshaw (because of weight and speed issues) and Gilmore can be had in the latter part of the first.

As can Hightower, Glenn, Wright , Perry, Mercilus, Adams and possibly Martin.

One of those guys would do the trick for us in the first round. But not where we sit now.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I like the first draft, there's an OSU player in there :D. Actually, I'd be ecstatic with the 1st draft, good players that fill needs.

I think Herron could be one of those late round RB's that turn out to be a steal. He ran a slow 40 but he was a track star in HS and I beleive ran track his first 2 years at OSU. Granted, I wouldn't take him before round 5 or 6 but he's got some talent and it's not like OSU has had a great OL the last few years.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I REALLY BELIEVE it would be best if we traded back in this draft.

Both Upshaw (because of weight and speed issues) and Gilmore can be had in the latter part of the first.

As can Hightower, Glenn, Wright , Perry, Mercilus, Adams and possibly Martin.

One of those guys would do the trick for us in the first round. But not where we sit now.

It takes two to "believe' for a trade back to occur, and I'm hard pressed to single out someone who could be at #13, that would entice a trade. It isn't likely that the Cards will pass on a guy they've rated at the top in one of their critical sub categories.

P.S. Re: Upshaw - there was speculation on the NFL Network that given his size and skills, he may end up as an ILB in a 3-4. If this becomes a concencus point, he'll drop on Draft Day.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

The Cards are more proof that the NFL is a passing league. They gave up 150 or more yards rushing last season 7 times and won three of those games.

During the 7-2 run the Cards held opponents to an average of 168 yards per game passing while giving up 463 yards rushing combined in the last 3 games of the season.