What they won't say but deep down are most afraid of

How would you feel about showering with a gay teammate?

• Don't be silly, I would have no problem with it at all.

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • I admit, I would have some scruples about having to do that.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • No way in hell, I am just not ready for what might happen or be said.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I would, but only if there were other teammates with us.

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I think that most nfl players don't mind playing ball with, going to meeting with, or in general working with a gay player or coach. What they really are hesitant about is possibly finding themselves showering and/or being nude in the presence of a gay male. Search your own soul, liberal or conservative, to see how you would feel about it if you were in their shoes.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No problem with it. I'm comfortable with who I am.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that most nfl players don't mind playing ball will, going to meeting with, or in general working with a gay player or coach. What they really are hesitant about is possibly finding themselves showering and/or being nude in the presence of a gay male. Search your own soul, liberal or conservative, to see how you would feel about it if you were in their shoes.

I go to the gym most morning and there are two guys that workout the same time as I do that are together. I could care less and do not act any differently, including getting dressed and taking a shower. I actually get a little weirded out when one guys brings in his 10 year son and I need to get undressed to shower.

Personally, I would not feel safe showering with a Rapist like Ben Rapistberger or Murder Ray Lewis. A professional gay man is the least of my worries.

People who think a gay man is a danger to take a shower with need to get over themselves.

I give this thread 30 minutes before it is moved to P&R.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I could care less who chooses to look at my boys......

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I was in the Navy. I'm pretty sure I did that hundreds of times. ;)

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
I was in the Navy. I'm pretty sure I did that hundreds of times. ;)

Played HS Football, know for a fact I did 12+ years later....it's just like Jon Stewart said, "how do you even know you are their type!?" Who really cares, nothing is gonna happen anyway.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that most nfl players don't mind playing ball with, going to meeting with, or in general working with a gay player or coach. What they really are hesitant about is possibly finding themselves showering and/or being nude in the presence of a gay male. Search your own soul, liberal or conservative, to see how you would feel about it if you were in their shoes.

Jonathan Vilma has already said it and said it the day Sam came out, I believe.

Vilma said:
"I think that he would not be accepted as much as we think he would be accepted," Vilma told Kremer. "I don't want people to just naturally assume, like, 'Oh, we're all homophobic.' That's really not the case. Imagine if he's the guy next to me and, you know, I get dressed, naked, taking a shower, the whole nine, and it just so happens he looks at me.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
IMO the issue lies with the overall public perception of males as the sexual aggressors.....hetro males automatically assume they have been dropped a level on the food chain and dude is gonna be peeping their junk....because they assume the gay male would react to them just as they would react to being in the shower with a bunch of females.

AZZenny

Reaction score
IMO the issue lies with the overall public perception of males as the sexual aggressors.....hetro males automatically assume they have been dropped a level on the food chain and dude is gonna be peeping their junk....because they assume the gay male would react to them just as they would react to being in the shower with a bunch of females.

+++

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the younger generation looks at this as no big deal. It's the older guys, that may be a little uptight about the whole situation.

Who are the older guy's? Owners, GM's and the rest of the Senior Suits.

There in lies what could be a bit of a problem.

LDL

Veteran
Reaction score
Only if he rolled in with a chubby... Otherwise who cares... Doubt he's down with football types, maybe but probably not.. Everyone likes what they like, time to get over yourselves (not directed at anyone, just general statement)

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
I'm sure they are more afraid of the new language they have to use. Can only imagine what an nfl locker room is like, the crazy stuff said and games they play. These guys have acted like kids their whole like in these rooms and an openly gay person will completely change that.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Any particular reason you do not make your polls public?

Oh yeah, cause then everyone would sure to be honest.

We have already seen the backlash of what happens on this board.

Plus this isn't about acceptance, it is about what you feel personally. You can feel a certain way personally, and still accept the situation.

Personally, I have decided I care not for skin color, religion, sexual orientation, political affliation, etc.

I only care about people I like, and people I don't. Two groups.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'm sure they are more afraid of the new language they have to use. Can only imagine what an nfl locker room is like, the crazy stuff said and games they play. These guys have acted like kids their whole like in these rooms and an openly gay person will completely change that.

Or you can just care less. I spoke no different then when a gay person was not around.

We had this issue in rugby a lot.

I have said some "insensitive" things while "in the locker room". Some take offense, some don't.

I have noticed it is the same situation as when you have overly sensitive anything, political person, religious person, etc., etc.

Easily offended people are just that, and regardless of their label that they are sensitive about they will be what they are, and that is easily offended.

From my vantage point, regarding sports, it didn't change anything, and I mean nothing.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Only if he rolled in with a chubby... Otherwise who cares... Doubt he's down with football types, maybe but probably not.. Everyone likes what they like, time to get over yourselves (not directed at anyone, just general statement)

Didn't George Castanza teach us, that sometimes there is no controlling that thing ?

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I spent 8 years in the Navy during the Vietnam Era, and I am sure that I shared the shower room with many a gay sailor during that time. I NEVER had a bit of trouble with it. I never had any other sailor comment to me about it either during that time.

SORRY MODS------PLEASE REMOVE THIS DOUBLE POST FOR ME----CATFISH

Last edited:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I spent 8 years in the Navy during Vietnam, and am reasonably sure that I shared the shower room with many gays over that time. I never had a problem with it, and never had any of my friends comment that they had problems with it either.

Navy ships manufacture their own fresh water when at sea, and there is NO such thing as a leisurely shower. Water usage is kept to an extreme minimum usage for showering, and at the end of a hard shift, most everyone just wanted to get clean again and get some food and sleep.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
For those who work out at public gym facilities, there are probably a lot more there than in an NFL locker room.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I don't like showering with any dudes or really anyone for that matter

I don't think I would be any more/less comfortable given that situation

I don't think it's registering to most football players either ...... It's part of a routine that they've done for years.

Most players that are talking are talking more about how they aren't sure how to act - what is appropriate to say, what would they find offensive, the personal boundaries that the individual may want - plus how do they relate in general

Some have spoken about how important it is for a rookie to make his peace with the veterans, learn the ropes and have someone eventually take them in .... some feel that the vets may be hesitant to take in a gay rookie because of the spotlight it may put on them

Players go out together, sometimes just a couple of them that become friends .... some may be a bit insecure being seen hanging out socially 1 on 1 with a gay guy due to the questions and perceptions

That is the type of stuff they are talking about and it's the type of stuff that usually goes away once they are in the situation

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake