What to do with starting rotation...

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
What is Byrnes going to do when Ortiz is ready to come back? From everything I have read, Ortiz will be put back into the rotation when he comes off the DL which leaves Byrnes with a difficult decision.

IMO, there is no way he can send Enrique back to Tucson. He has looked great and seems to be our 2nd most consistent starter. He throws hard and is a sinker baller which is perfect for us. What a great trade by Byrnes to send El Duque to NYM and get Julio in exchange. It's given Enrique his shot, of which he's taken advantage of, and given us a power reliever who can setup or close.

If it were up to me, Fatty Ortiz would come off the DL and earn his way back into the rotation. If that were to happen, Byrnes could send Jarvis back down to Tucson and let Ortiz assume the lengthy relief appearances and see how he performs. That way Vargas, Cruz, Miggy, and Enrique are all safe in the rotation (of which they should be, they've pitched great lately). It's not like we're not contenders, we're in 1st place at 10 games over .500 and the last thing we need is Ortiz to come back and lose every 5th day. The worst part about Ortiz is that he never has a quality start. He pitches two innings and screws our bullpen for a week. We'll see what Byrnes does but I really hope Ortiz doesn't bump Gonzalez out of the rotation

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two starts and you give the guy the title "2nd most consistent starter" on this team? Come on. However, I do agree that you send Jarvis back down and stick Ortiz in the pen whenever he's ready and use him as a long reliever. I think he goes back into the rotation only if he shows improvement in the pen and if one of our starters falters.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
Two starts and you give the guy the title "2nd most consistent starter" on this team? Come on. However, I do agree that you send Jarvis back down and stick Ortiz in the pen whenever he's ready and use him as a long reliever. I think he goes back into the rotation only if he shows improvement in the pen and if one of our starters falters.

Yeah, I do give him that tag. He looks very solid and I have no problem saying that. All our starters have been very good latley but other than Webb, I think Enrique's last two outings have been the most impressive back-to-back starts (6 innings in each outing). He pitched great against two very good offenses (Cinci and Atl) on the road. Plus, he has the makeup to be a very consistent pitcher with the defense he has behind him. He is very similar to Webb except he can overpower hitters when he wants to and has better control than Webb did when he was 24.

I'm listening to 620 right now and their talking about this very situation! Whoever the host is, he is saying that Byrnes should do exactly what I said above (put Ortiz in the bullpen and evaluate from there). He thinks that we shouldn't screw with the rotation as they have a 1.70 ERA over the last 13 games! Unbelievable! He is also talking about what Byrnes should do with Mullholland when he comes back...

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Impressive? Yes. Consistent? No. Huge difference between the two, and it takes more than two good starts before you can be called consistent.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Gonzalez sent back to Tucson for Terry Mulholland of all people. Pisses me off. Hockeyfan, Gonzalez has been both impressive and consistent. I'm not gonna sit here and argue about whether or not he is consistent or not. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem like Gonzalez will have the extreme ups and downs like everyone else on our staff (in exception of Webb). He's a sinkerballer like Webb but throws harder and has good control. Too bad we won't be able to see what he could have done

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Enrique Gonzalez had his second straight impressive start Saturday afternoon.

That was the good news for Gonzalez.

The bad came after the game when manager Bob Melvin informed him he was being optioned to Triple-A Tucson to make room for left-hander Terry Mulholland, who was activated off the disabled list.

"He was great about it," Melvin said. "I'm having a tougher time with it than he is."

I'm a huge D-Backs fan, as many of you probably know by now, but this is ******** to the nth degree.

You don't send young arms down when they're pitching well in order to bring up a 43 year old reliever who's beyond past his prime.

This one's a head scratcher at best.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Sun Devil Jay said:
I'm a huge D-Backs fan, as many of you probably know by now, but this is ******** to the nth degree.

You don't send young arms down when they're pitching well in order to bring up a 43 year old reliever who's beyond past his prime.

2nd that. You don't send a young starter back to the minors when he's GAINING confidence. Especially when it's for garbage used in "mop up" duty

Ruff N Tuff

Reaction score
He'll be back. He was just sent down to have another arm in the pen but when ten days pass he'll be back with the D-Backs.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense if they want the kid to keep his spot in the starting rotation

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna puke

Look for Ortiz to start Wednesday

Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 4, 2006 12:00 AM
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

ATLANTA - It's unofficial and hasn't been confirmed, but don't be surprised to see Russ Ortiz back on the mound Wednesday for the Diamondbacks when they close out a three-game series against Philadelphia at Chase Field.

Arizona needs a starting pitcher for that game due to Saturday's doubleheader at Turner Field against the Braves, when it had to stack two pitchers, and Ortiz is the most likely candidate.

On the disabled list with a strained calf muscle, Ortiz has made four efficient starts on a rehab assignment with Triple-A Tucson. After making adjustments to his pitching mechanics, he is 1-0 with a 2.61 ERA in 20 2/3 innings.
You must be registered for see images
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1')

Ortiz, who turns 32 on Monday, is expected to be activated on his birthday. He would take the place in the rotation of rookie Enrique Gonzalez, who was sent back to the Sidewinders after throwing his second quality start in two outings.

Taking Gonzalez' place on the 25-man roster is Terry Mulholland, who was activated from the 15-day disabled list (elbow inflammation) and pitched in Atlanta on Saturday. In four appearances during his rehab stint with Tucson, the veteran was 1-1 with a 3.38 ERA in 10 2/3 innings.

As to whom would be moved off the roster to make room for Ortiz, the likely candidate would appear to be veteran Kevin Jarvis, who hasn't pitched in the 15 days since he's been with the club after his promotion from Tucson.

[/FONT]

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ortiz starting Wednesday is more a product of the rainout/double header than anything else. Even if Enrique was still on the squad they couldn't pitch him with just 3 days rest.
If Ortiz continues to suck, he's not going to remain a starter regardless of how much they are paying him.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Azlen said:
Ortiz starting Wednesday is more a product of the rainout/double header than anything else. Even if Enrique was still on the squad they couldn't pitch him with just 3 days rest.
If Ortiz continues to suck, he's not going to remain a starter regardless of how much they are paying him.

I understand that but it still makes me wanna puke

FinleyLover

Veteran
Reaction score
Sun Devil Jay said:

Yeah especially when his contract is something like $1 million/1 year contract. Eat the rest of it for gawd sakes and cut him loose. Why on earth is he taking up valuable roster space????

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05