What Would You Rather Have?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Being 5-10 or 6-9 at this point and not even in the playoff picture and our usual 'Same 'ol Cards' self or in position to go 11-5, miss the playoffs, but no longer a laughing stock. Strange as it may sound, I'll take the latter. Feels good to actually get some respect. We didn't get this kind of respect during our Super Bowl run.

pacman

Veteran
Reaction score
This is a dumb question. Is anyone going to say "yes I would prefer that we sucked"?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
finally we had some fun watching this team playing.no doubts,i dont care about draft spot.we can get good players the same and we have a solid group right now,..palmer will be better next year and hopefully we will improve the offensive line..i think arains would like to add a speedy receiver to our 2 stars fitz and floyd.
dsansby will test the market but we have a young player ready to be productive,minter.
a safety is a need but in this draft just the safety from alabama is good
maybe they can find a free agent but dont know who is going to be available.
1rd left tackle
2rd pass rusher
3th speedy receiver

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a dumb question. Is anyone going to say "yes I would prefer that we sucked"?

It's a conundrum if you think about it. Here we are needing 1 win to match the most wins in almost 40 years but we're more than likely going to miss the playoffs. The only thing this accomplishes is a lower 1/3 draft pick but nothing else. However, going into the tank at least gets you a higher draft pick. Strange how you're rewarded for being bad but punished for being good(finally).

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's a conundrum if you think about it. Here we are needing 1 win to match the most wins in almost 40 years but we're more than likely going to miss the playoffs. The only thing this accomplishes is a lower 1/3 draft pick but nothing else. However, going into the tank at least gets you a higher draft pick. Strange how you're rewarded for being bad but punished for being good(finally).
I would take 11 wins and no playoffs every year over 5 win seasons. This is about entertainment and the team is most entertaining when they are winning games. Also this season (playoffs or not) gives us hope going into next season.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure I'd like a much higher draft pick, but now I'll go into the offseason KNOWING that we have a team, BASK, that we all can count on.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll take the 11 wins every time. It's been fun to watch this team grow as the season goes by. Gives me hope that next year we will be even better.

Off season will be fun this year.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Eleven wins and a competent front office that will maximize every draft choice versus the normal 4-5 wins and missing on every other draft choice. That is a no-brainer.

Besides with all the one-year prove-it free agent signings, I'm anticipating a boat-load of compensatory picks in the 2015 draft. ;)

MWOOD92

All Star
Reaction score
If we don't make it this year, then I have a feeling we'll come back next year with a HUGE chip on our shoulder. That should be exciting. :thumbup:

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Silly question. At 5-11 or 6-10 we are much further from where we need to be.

A better draft slot only does so much.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Even it being Christmas, I still have to say this is a silly question. Sorry. Too much eggnog?

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I really don't understand all the people saying they'll be happy going 11-5 and missing the playoffs. Not me. I want in so bad and it's probably not going to happen. Again. I'm with BA when he said it's a nice foundation but if you don't get into the dance it doesn't mean anything. He said he's not about stats, he wants to win SB's. That's how I feel. I'm proud of the team, obviously, and have a lot of hope for next year, but with this team it's always next year. And next year sucks, because you can never account for injuries or who gets them or how the year is going to play out.

And honestly, if the Cards didn't have bad luck, we'd have no luck at all. Saints have an all but won game and lose in the closing seconds; Falcons have a great chance to tie or go ahead in the closing minutes and throw an INT. Next week the Saints will probably pull it out by getting a safety while the Bucs try to kneel it to end the game (Schiano justice). It's very frustrating and it's been decades of frustration and that obviously hasn't left me yet. I simply cannot sit here and gush over not making the playoffs and declare moral victories. I do that every year with this team and we're going to be doing it again this year. Talking about how next year we're going to make a run and how our schedule was hard this year and will be easier next year and how we have the right chemistry now and the right coach and a better running back and a new QB and on and on. It's the same every year. We rationalize our failure, justify our mistakes, so that our hearts aren't broken again.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It establishes in the minds of players and coaches that they can win, which can't be measured but is priceless.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't understand all the people saying they'll be happy going 11-5 and missing the playoffs. Not me. I want in so bad and it's probably not going to happen. Again. I'm with BA when he said it's a nice foundation but if you don't get into the dance it doesn't mean anything. He said he's not about stats, he wants to win SB's. That's how I feel. I'm proud of the team, obviously, and have a lot of hope for next year, but with this team it's always next year. And next year sucks, because you can never account for injuries or who gets them or how the year is going to play out.

And honestly, if the Cards didn't have bad luck, we'd have no luck at all. Saints have an all but won game and lose in the closing seconds; Falcons have a great chance to tie or go ahead in the closing minutes and throw an INT. Next week the Saints will probably pull it out by getting a safety while the Bucs try to kneel it to end the game (Schiano justice). It's very frustrating and it's been decades of frustration and that obviously hasn't left me yet. I simply cannot sit here and gush over not making the playoffs and declare moral victories. I do that every year with this team and we're going to be doing it again this year. Talking about how next year we're going to make a run and how our schedule was hard this year and will be easier next year and how we have the right chemistry now and the right coach and a better running back and a new QB and on and on. It's the same every year. We rationalize our failure, justify our mistakes, so that our hearts aren't broken again.

Oh missing the playoffs is in fact kiliing me. Agree no moral victories. But I feel much better about next year after finishing the way we have.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
Being 5-10 or 6-9 at this point and not even in the playoff picture and our usual 'Same 'ol Cards' self or in position to go 11-5, miss the playoffs, but no longer a laughing stock. Strange as it may sound, I'll take the latter. Feels good to actually get some respect. We didn't get this kind of respect during our Super Bowl run.

What would you rather have? Being hungry because you missed lunch or have 3 Samoans beat the crap out of you then light you on fire? I mean in the first scenario you are still hungry right?

And Merry Christmas to all of my board brethren;)

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
We've lived through the 4-6 wins a year enough already and little good it has done us. Give me the 10 or 11 anytime over that regardless of making the playoffs.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't think ANYBODY is going to be happy about not getting invited to the dance. But, gawd, how can being so ugly no one will ever dance with you be better than not getting an invite at all?

ALL TIME BEST REGULAR SEASON RECORD in Arizona and smashing the Niners face in? Yeah, that's a just a consolation prize, but it is the best consolation prize we've ever had as Cards fans.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've lived through the 4-6 wins a year enough already and little good it has done us. Give me the 10 or 11 anytime over that regardless of making the playoffs.

Yeah, no crap. If draft position was all that, the Packers, Eagles, Steelers, Ravens, Giants and especially the Patriots could never have had the long runs of winning seasons they have had.

freebyrd

Reaction score

i think your question is flawed i don''t feel we are getting any more respect because of our record we have been picked as underdogs every week
the only thing that turns us around is a string of Superbowl appearances and Lombardi trophies

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ill take the winning record and no playoffs any day. It was so nice how much respect our team got living up here in Washington. Seahawk fans were telling me all over how good our team is. I didn't hear one person complain about bad calls or anything along those lines.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Good teams sometimes trade-up in order to draft a player that they really want. Because they are good teams, they generally have they players and the money needed to do so. I believe that we are becoming one of those good teams, and that we have the GM who is quite capable of swinging such a trade if it becomes a necessity. It is already obvious that we have become a choice destination place for free agents.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good teams sometimes trade-up in order to draft a player that they really want. Because they are good teams, they generally have they players and the money needed to do so. I believe that we are becoming one of those good teams, and that we have the GM who is quite capable of swinging such a trade if it becomes a necessity. It is already obvious that we have become a choice destination place for free agents.
I think you are quite correct!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05