Whispers from around the NFL

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
• With the Cardinals promoting Frank Bush to assistant head coach/linebackers, supposedly giving him "additional responsibilities," team sources tell us it will be very interesting to see if there's a bit of a backlash among the other coaches on head coach Dennis Green's staff, particularly defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast.

Yawn
• The latest from Cardinals QB Kurt Warner at the Super Bowl on wanting to remain in Arizona: "Not only do my family and I not want to move … this fits me. And as a player, that's about the best you can ask for."

spanky1

Reaction score
Clif,

I suspect that if the Cardinals were smart enough to retain Bush (fancy but meaningless title change), they have an understanding with Pendergast that will keep him happy.

In business, companies always do the required things to keep those that they want.....and football is a business.

My guess is that they will retitle Pendergast as "President of the defense".

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Clif,

'Secretary of Defense'?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Clif,

I suspect that if the Cardinals were smart enough to retain Bush (fancy but meaningless title change), they have an understanding with Pendergast that will keep him happy.

In business, companies always do the required things to keep those that they want.....and football is a business.

Titles are great but meaningless if their is not responsibility and authority to go with that title.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
blindseyed said:
'Secretary of Defense'?

I really liked it when the head of a companies personnel department became the Vice President of Human Resources.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
I really liked it when the head of a companies personnel department became the Vice President of Human Resources.

You'd love it at my company.We have about 100 people(in the US) and I swear 30-40 of them are Directors, VP, GM etc., it's one of the running jokes among those that work here.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
You'd love it at my company.We have about 100 people(in the US) and I swear 30-40 of them are Directors, VP, GM etc., it's

That usually means layoffs phrased as "restructuring" are coming fairly soon.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rivercard said:
That usually means layoffs phrased as "restructuring" are coming fairly soon.

Actually that means RIFs(reduction in force) already happened and they kept mostly execs and managers and above.

What happens in high tech when they offshore everything to Bangalore.

spanky1

Reaction score
john h said:

Now it's called Chief People Officer or Vice President, Human Capital Management........although I think the military still refer to the HR function as the Personnel Department.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Actually that means RIFs(reduction in force) already happened and they kept mostly execs and managers and above.

Your business must be doing OK then. Things seem to work a little differently here.

Sorry about the hijack... now back to your regularly scheduled program....

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

[ThrowInRandomSideNote] I have family in Bangalore. [/ThrowInRandomSideNote]

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
[ThrowInRandomSideNote]
I have family in Bangalore.
[/ThrowInRandomSideNote]

According to my local paper, moving back to Bangalore and buying a huge house is the in thing to do now for Indian engineers who've made good money in the US. Apparently Bangalore today is very similar to Silicon Valley in the late 90's during the internet boom.

What a lot of companies did is basically take all the "junior" engineering positions and offshore it to Bangalore. Which is how you end up with a company that in the US is so top heavy with directors and above, all the actual workers are overseas.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI on the coaching thing that seems to be a trend. Look what Denver did, they lost Kubiak to Houston, and to avoid him taking OL coach Rick Dennison, they promoted Dennison to OC. Then they hired back Mike Heimerdinger who after leaving Denver was the OC with the Titans for several years and the Jets for 1 year. Heimerdinger is assistant head coach. And they both work for Shanahan who most people think calls the plays anyways and did while Kubiak was the OC.

Teams seem to find a way to make it work without too much ego.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

:barf: Bangalore