Why didn't we make a run at kerney?

Game

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that I understand that he is:
a. coming off an injury
b. 30-years-old
c. going to command some substantial cash to sign

But...

a. he hadn't ever been hurt prior to last season (when he still managed 4.5 sacks in 9 games, by the way)
b. he's roughly the same age and a better fit than Joey Porter or Adalius Thomas, who have both been mentioned more than a few times on ASFN (Yeah, I know they are LB's and he is a DE. Im simply pointing out that we have needs at both positions and the LB's would be switching from a 3-4)
c. Everyone is getting tons of cash this offseason

I don't even attempt to understand what the FO does anymore, but what bugs me is that he hasn't been discussed on this board at all.

Seriously guys, am i missing something??? This is my first post, but I've read the board for a while and have never even seen anyone debate the possibility that we go after him, and IMHO the guy is a total beast...

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Because it makes no sense to sign him...

Kerney is a very good player, but and older player with injury concerns. We already have Berry and Okeafor to fit that description.

Our need is IMO either:

A rookie DE like Adams to take over for Berry long-term, fill in if Berry or Okeafor gets injured and to be part of the DL rotation

OR a veteran DE for depth behind Berry.

Kersey doesn't fill any of those roles

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I love Kersey. I dont bring it up because its the Cardinals were talking about.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
because his salary may put a dent in our salary cap. If Graves stays below the 10 million mark he hits his incentive and get another 300% raise.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I can understand that we're not signing Kearney. I love him as a player and as a person, but he's a guy that is going to command a lot of money and only realistically has 2-3 solid years left. I think the front office has made it quite clear that this team is not interested in contending for a championship at the very least next season, so it doesn't make sense to make a run at this guy.

Also, I think it's pretty clear that Kearney might be looking for a ring before he retires, and it's unclear that he'd want to come here.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Kearney is about like Berry and Okeafor. An older player who can still be productive. I think it makes more sense to get a young DE in the draft. Maybe even at #5.

Jim_Hart

Reaction score
I think Kearney is about like Berry and Okeafor. An older player who can still be productive. I think it makes more sense to get a young DE in the draft. Maybe even at #5.

I like Kerney, but I agree with you. We have DEs on our team that are similar when not injured. IMO we need youth at that position ... not a 1-2 year bad-aid.