Will Poole vs. Alex Stepanovich

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score
For those of you who haven't heard, Will Poole is tearing up the Dolphins training camp. He's made a few Int's, is tackling everything in sight and has a knack for stripping the ball. How many of you paid some attention to him after he took over as the starter at USC last year. He was a ferak on defense, he made far more plays than he gave up. Does anyone think Step would have made it to the 5th round. I think he will be a baller, but Poole would have instantly upgraded our secondary.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
I was one who was a little bummed about skipping on Poole. CB was and is a big need for us. As of today, if my say so counted, I would still have drafted Poole. Step will be a good player, I think, but we can pick up a good center any year in any draft.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have to admit...I wanted Will Poole, which if you guys do a search, I was screaming for the Cards to take when he dropped so far. Centers are usually a dime a dozen.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Didn'tr something funky happen with poole the week before the draft that made him bottom out value wise?

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was screaming at my tv for the cards to take poole... but alas, they didnt. :(

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
Didn'tr something funky happen with poole the week before the draft that made him bottom out value wise?
He got a DUI

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:

His 40 time bombed and has character issue made him slipped that far.

Shuesters2

Wind Breaker
Reaction score
We needed a C to replace the soon-to-depart Pete Kendall more than a back-up CB.

Shuesters :cool:

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
I had Poole rated above Stepanovich on the value board at our fourth round pick. I was looking at both and would have been happy with either. We needed to fill both positions. But, I also felt Poole was a little slow and believe he'll get burnt by faster WRs. Also, he's not that tall. With that in mind, I was more pleased when they took Stepanovich.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Poole Info

On Draft Day I still had him rated 23rd highest ranked player on my board and at the top of my 2nd & 3rd round boards. Here's a recap of Poole info from the BRS -

The Big Red Sheet (Gollin) - Workout was disappointing, but he was supposedly sick for the week prior to his Pro Day. We'll leave his forty at 4.49 but must admit that his recent 4.65 time does represent a red flag (i.e. at some point he'll have to go out and prove he can run faster). Hopefully, he'll run again for the scouts when he's fully recovered. Appears to have all the tools. The character issue could hurt him, but that's for Denny and the Cardinal brass to sort out - i.e. is it a chronic problem or just a function of immaturity?

Pro Day (Brandt) - Worked out again on April 16th and ran a 4.55 (not blazing but at least acceptabe). Worked out, but he had been sick for about a week. He ran his 40s in 4.65 and 4.66 and the 10-yard dash in 1.65. He had a 28½-inch vertical jump, 9-foot-7 long jump, ran 4.28 in the short shuttle, 12.01 in the long shuttle (in which he slipped) and 7.06 in the three-cone drill.

Combine Chatter - Unconfirmed Wunderlic Score: 14.

The Sporting News War Room - Originally attended Boston College (where he was suspended him because of a violation of team rules), Took over as a starter in his first season with the Trojans and made his presence felt as a senior. Was not on the NFL draft radar prior to this season but emerged as one of the Pac-10's top playmaking cornerbacks. There are some concerns about Poole's character, but he has not been in any trouble since being suspended at BC. Overall, he is a late-first round prospect who should continue to improve with experience. Has shown potential to return punts. A fluid athlete with smooth hips but quicker than fast. Can change directions without losing anything in transition. Outstanding instincts in coverage. Great break on the ball and is at his best when breaking forward. SGood burst to the ball. Adjusts well to the ball in the air and has better-than-average leaping ability. Exceptional at reading quarterbacks' eyes in man-to-man and zone coverages. Soft hands and excellent all-around ball skills. Adequate but not great size and speed. Might be better in a zone coverage scheme that would protect him from having to turn and run deep with faster NFL receivers. Gambles at times and does not have the speed to make up for a mistake. Will have some trouble matching up man-to-man against bigger receivers. Must improve technique in press coverage.

Scouts Inc. - Fluid athlete, smooth hips. Agile, changes directions without losing anything. Outstanding instincts. Gets great break on balls, best when breaking forward. Very good burst to ball. Adjusts to ball in air. Plus leaping ability. Exceptional at reading quarterbacks' eyes in man-to-man and zone coverages. Mean streak, physical, but technique in press coverage inconsistent. Lacks speed, has problems staying with premier receivers downfield. Adequate recognition skills, but is overaggressive, gambles to make big plays and lacks second gear to recover. Explosive first step, accelerates well when coming forward, can cover lots of ground in short time. Good, but not great speed. Has trouble turning, running with faster NFL receivers. Soft hands, will come up with interception when in position, can make acrobatic catches. Has body control to adjust to ball in air, has leaping ability to catch balls at their apex. Aggressive filling against run, not afraid to sacrifice body, good pop at point of attack. Has agility to make plays in space, generally wraps up on contact, can knock balls loose. Poole took over as a starter in his junior season and made his presence felt as a senior. He was not on the NFL's draft radar prior to this season but emerged as a top playmaking Pac-10 corner. There are some concerns about Poole's character (he was suspended while attending Boston College, and eventually left the school), but he has not been in any trouble since. Poole might be better suited to play in a zone scheme in the NFL, but he has enough physical tools to play man and zone coverage, and he is a physical, aggressive cornerback who will press receivers and support the run. He is a late-first-round prospect who should improve with experience. He also has the potential to return punts, and he'll deserve a look in that area.

Kiper (Rates #5) - Had three great seasons in three different programs, showing as keen understanding of the position of any CB Mel has ever graded in recent years. Did not become a starter until the third game this season yet turned into an elite cover man who led the Trojans in interceptions and pass breakups. Broke his foot at the beginning of his senior year and didn't see actions til the college playoffs semifinals. Pete Carroll raves about him - he'll hit, he'll tackle and he understands coverages. While Mel's not sure if he has what it takes to be a lead-corner in the pros, he's at worst a quality #2. Lack of ideal height and recovery speed are the only two factors that make him less likely to be a true shutdown type instead of a #2. This may cause him to slide down the board a bit.

CBSportsline (Prisco) - A raw player who started just one year at USC, but he has really come on in the eyes of the scouts. He's a physical player who can bump the big receivers, yet turn and run with the faster ones. Will push Gamble and Hall to move to the top of the corner position.

OP
OP
S

Sam Wise

Big, Dumb, Stupid Looking
Reaction score
Shuesters2 said:
We needed a C to replace the soon-to-depart Pete Kendall more than a back-up CB.

Shuesters :cool:
This is wrong on both counts. First off Kendall was released the day of Training Camp not on June 1st which would mean that DG is either very sadistic for keeping Kendall on for so long after he supposedly knew he didn't want him as the starting center or vindictive and getting him back for standing up for what he thought was right. Poole would be a starting CB on this team over Macklin, possibly even our #1.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Sam Wise said:
For those of you who haven't heard, Will Poole is tearing up the Dolphins training camp. He's made a few Int's, is tackling everything in sight and has a knack for stripping the ball. How many of you paid some attention to him after he took over as the starter at USC last year. He was a ferak on defense, he made far more plays than he gave up. Does anyone think Step would have made it to the 5th round. I think he will be a baller, but Poole would have instantly upgraded our secondary.

Wow a rookie defensive player tearing it up against a bad offense installing a new QB, new RB, new WR's, new system, and make shift oline.

That never happens in the first week of training camp. :rolleyes:

I am just saying take these so called stellar first weeks of training camp reports with a grain of salt. Especially the defensive guys as the defense is always a couple of weeks ahead of the offensive.

AzCards06

Rookie
Reaction score
Poole is probably going up against David Boston.

Big deal.

All Poole needs to do is pinch DB in the nipples, and the ball comes loose.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
AzCards06 said:

Big deal.

:biglaugh:

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
AzCards06 said:

Big deal.

:biglaugh:

You win :thumbup:

Shuesters2

Wind Breaker
Reaction score
Sam Wise said:
This is wrong on both counts. First off Kendall was released the day of Training Camp not on June 1st which would mean that DG is either very sadistic for keeping Kendall on for so long after he supposedly knew he didn't want him as the starting center or vindictive and getting him back for standing up for what he thought was right. Poole would be a starting CB on this team over Macklin, possibly even our #1.

Sorry, but I don't buy either of your arguments. It looks like Denny had Kendall maked for replacement, that's why he drafted two centers. And while I like Poole and wish we drafted him, he wouldn't start over either Macklin or Hill.

Shuesters

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05