Wilson Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_details.html?iid=2272

Arizona Cardinals strong safety Adrian Wilson has been named this week’s “NFL Defensive Player of the Week” after posting five tackles (four solo, one assist) and returning a fumble 35 yards for a touchdown in the Cardinals 34-10 victory over the New Orleans Saints last Sunday.

Wilson and the Cardinals defense have held opposing offenses without a touchdown in 10 straight quarters. The last time the Cardinals’ defense went two straight games without allowing a touchdown was November of 1970, a span of 512 games.

Wilson, who also won the award based off of his performance in week seven of the 2002 season against Dallas, is the 16th player in Cardinals history to win the defensive player of the week award.

Wilson currently has 23 tackles (18 solo, five assists), 1 interception, 5 passes defensed, and 2 fumble recoveries in four games played.

WAY TO GO ADRIAN! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Jttsaz said:
http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_details.html?iid=2272

Arizona Cardinals strong safety Adrian Wilson has been named this week’s “NFL Defensive Player of the Week” after posting five tackles (four solo, one assist) and returning a fumble 35 yards for a touchdown in the Cardinals 34-10 victory over the New Orleans Saints last Sunday.

Wilson and the Cardinals defense have held opposing offenses without a touchdown in 10 straight quarters. The last time the Cardinals’ defense went two straight games without allowing a touchdown was November of 1970, a span of 512 games.

Wilson, who also won the award based off of his performance in week seven of the 2002 season against Dallas, is the 16th player in Cardinals history to win the defensive player of the week award.

Wilson currently has 23 tackles (18 solo, five assists), 1 interception, 5 passes defensed, and 2 fumble recoveries in four games played.

WAY TO GO ADRIAN! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

"Yo Adrian, YOU DID IT!" :thumbup:

spanky1

Reaction score
clif said:
hell yeah... maybe he is headed to his first probowl?? :idea:

clif,

Adrian said his goal this year was to be a Pro Bowler........if he keeps this up, I like his chances!

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
clif,

Adrian said his goal this year was to be a Pro Bowler........if he keeps this up, I like his chances!
yeah he will have to continue to make huge plays in order to get the call over players like roy williams.

spanky1

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea as to what "numbers" we'll need to get Wilson's attention regarding a new contract?

Who represents him?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I hope it is not just because it is his contract year. Players typically play lights out in their contract year and then disappear once they get a hefty contract. I hope not. I think the coaching is finally bringing out the best of the otherwise raw talent that Adrian has had.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Does anyone have an idea as to what "numbers" we'll need to get Wilson's attention regarding a new contract?

Who represents him?

I am pretty sure that the contracts of last years S's and Djax contract will be a barometer for Wilsons contract.

Djax - 5 years, $14 million, $2.75 million signing bonus.
Lynch - 3 years, $9 million, $2.5 million signing bonus.
Tongue - 4 years, $5.4 million, $1.1 million signing bonus.
Marion - 5 years, $12 million, $3 million signing bonus.
Grant - 4 years, # 10 million, $2.4 million signing bonus.

Looking at those contracts I would guess that his new contract will be the same or a little higher then what Djax got.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az1965 said:
I hope it is not just because it is his contract year. Players typically play lights out in their contract year and then disappear once they get a hefty contract. I hope not. I think the coaching is finally bringing out the best of the otherwise raw talent that Adrian has had.

I don't think so. Adrian is a very talented, hard hitting player. I actually don't see a lot different stuff from him this year than last, talent and aggression wise. He's in better position because the defense as a whole is more aggressive. The team is playing to his strengths, and he'll shine.

I wish he could cover better...he would be a MONSTER if he could cover and hit the way he does.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Oran said:
Williams is a great running back, but he doesn't want to be the focal point of any organization. he freaked out when he was the focal point of the Saints. Then he slid into Miami, and he was kinda an afterthought. The past two years, Ricky IS the Dolphins, and he freaked out again. he needs to be on a team with other playmakers, like Owens, Ray Lewis; someone who gets more attention.

I'd take him in a heart-beat, suspension and all for a 3rd round pick that could conditionally become a 1st rounder if he puts up pro-bowl numbers. He's still young, but people need to learn how to handle a guy with disorder.
wrong thread Oran :wave:

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
wrong thread Oran :wave:

I'm working with 4 hours of sleep today. Please forgive me. I have a gigantic Red Bull stain on my tie and yellow shirt from my drive this morning. Tough day. :stupid:

My students are having a field day messing with my head.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I actually don't see a lot different stuff from him this year than last,
What I see is him playing smarter. Whether that's due to the schemes, to his film study or his maturation, I don't know (nor do I care). He's playing like a pro this year. The last few years he was playing like a really talented amatuer.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Props to the dude.

More and more Wilson is taking on characteristics of a Junior Seau type dominator.

Barring injury, whether he can continue to play at that level will be totally a function of attitude and approach to the game.

It's there for him, if he wants it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great job, Adrian

Glad to see him get the recognition.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Adrian Wilson is the man, we use to bag on the guy, now he is just a monster.

spanky1

Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
Adrian Wilson is the man, we use to bag on the guy, now he is just a monster.

DevonCardsFan:

As the Lone Ranger's side kick Tonto used to say.........whose "we" white man.

A few of us have been Wilson supporters since he was drafted.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
well I will put my 2 cents in. since I am coming in late to the discussion. Since he was drafted I always thought he had a chance to be pretty good.. based on how young, but athletic he was. He came from a pretty good program... Anybody pay attention to NC ST football??? Man they play some great defense!!.. So when I found out he was from there and how they competed against Florida St a few years ago..... and Ohio state (I think last year) I knew that had an intense program. that is why such disappointment with Levar.

spanky1

Reaction score
clif said:
well I will put my 2 cents in. since I am coming in late to the discussion. Since he was drafted I always thought he had a chance to be pretty good.. based on how young, but athletic he was. He came from a pretty good program... Anybody pay attention to NC ST football??? Man they play some great defense!!.. So when I found out he was from there and how they competed against Florida St a few years ago..... and Ohio state (I think last year) I knew that had an intense program. that is why such disappointment with Levar.

clif,

Fisher would have been a good one for sure.........too bad he inherited bum knees

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
What I see is him playing smarter. Whether that's due to the schemes, to his film study or his maturation, I don't know (nor do I care). He's playing like a pro this year. The last few years he was playing like a really talented amatuer.

I agree with that completely. I guess I was addressing the "contract year" comment. Usually, in a contract year people play more aggressive. Adrian always plays like that. He IS playing smarter, but I don't associate that to some type of contract year mindset in a player. I tend to think that is simply Adrian maturing as a player, and the defense improving overall allowing him to do what he does best....light people up.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I agree with that completely. I guess I was addressing the "contract year" comment. Usually, in a contract year people play more aggressive. Adrian always plays like that. He IS playing smarter, but I don't associate that to some type of contract year mindset in a player. I tend to think that is simply Adrian maturing as a player, and the defense improving overall allowing him to do what he does best....light people up.
I'll expand further by adding that we must give some credit to Denny for "coaching him up"....

Finally, there's a Cardinal player who was a "late bloomer" who blossomed while still a member of the organization rather than the usual he emerges elsewhere....

spanky1

Reaction score
KLL said:
I'll expand further by adding that we must give some credit to Denny for "coaching him up"....

Finally, there's a Cardinal player who was a "late bloomer" who blossomed while still a member of the organization rather than the usual he emerges elsewhere....

I would have to say that credit for being coached up belongs to Soloman, the LB coach, and not Green per se.