With respect to officiating a missed call on us that nobody is mentioning

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the drive where we got the roughing the holder call. Pitt gets more downs but Gabe makes a great play and stuffs Ben and we hold them to a FG. If you watch the last play before hte FG, the play is over and Dockett comes up and absolutely drills #62 knocking him over the pile. 62 gets up screaming for a flag and you just knew it was coming based on the recent calls, but they didn't call it.

Had they called that, Pitt gets 3 more downs to score and probably scores a TD there.

I love the effort from Dockett but he has just got to learn not to do that stuff and just play. He was complaining the whole game he was being held but that doesn't mean you take a blatant cheapshot like that in such a critical situation.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
on the drive where we got the roughing the holder call. Pitt gets more downs but Gabe makes a great play and stuffs Ben and we hold them to a FG. If you watch the last play before hte FG, the play is over and Dockett comes up and absolutely drills #62 knocking him over the pile. 62 gets up screaming for a flag and you just knew it was coming based on the recent calls, but they didn't call it.

Had they called that, Pitt gets 3 more downs to score and probably scores a TD there.

I love the effort from Dockett but he has just got to learn not to do that stuff and just play. He was complaining the whole game he was being held but that doesn't mean you take a blatant cheapshot like that in such a critical situation.

He's been one of the biggest offenders when it comes to boneheaded penalties. I think I would have jumped out a window if he were called for that.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With all due respect the whole game was chippy and they were getting away with a ton of that crap so they probably figured they can't call it just on us while they were clearly roughing up our guys after as well

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
If Gandy would have been called for another holding call, I would have jumped out a window...

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
62 deserved that AND more.. He did his fair share of holding through out the entire game.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all due respect the whole game was chippy and they were getting away with a ton of that crap so they probably figured they can't call it just on us while they were clearly roughing up our guys after as well

Well it didn't matter because they didn't call it, but if they had, it would likely have ended any chance of us winning. I don't know how else to describe it but selfish. If he got held ok, but you don't retaliate by drilling the guy on a dead ball.

Dockett can be such an incredible player but he needs to learn when to stop because he gets too many personal fouls. He's VERY lucky this one wasn't called.

I guess I'm just pointing out that the calls were not all against us we caught some breaks too, that was a huge break them not calling it.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yeah Russ and they got huge breaks all night with no calls against their thugs hitting us after plays, shoot I saw Ward a few times after plays taking little cheap shots. Not to mention BS roughing call that kept their drive alive which was total crap!

anks106

Registered
Reaction score
i didn't see that, but doesn't surprise me.. the refs were blind all day and Dockett does make stupid mistakes. Goes to show you that there is not a decent officiating crew in the NFL.. how these guys are the superbowl refs I don't know

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
on the calls in general:

Dansby's roughing the passer was borderline; but if that is the standard -- why is it that Pitt didnt have a single roughing the passer? Please.

On holding -- I think they were calling it alot. The issue is the Gandy is out on the edge, where it is plain to see. The Cardinal pressure came up inside, where its much harder to see. I dont know how many times I saw pressure in Ben's face as he threw coming from a Cardinal defender who had a Pitt offensive lineman's arm around his neck.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
i didn't see that, but doesn't surprise me.. the refs were blind all day and Dockett does make stupid mistakes. Goes to show you that there is not a decent officiating crew in the NFL.. how these guys are the superbowl refs I don't know

One problem the refs have is that the players know the zebras can't call everything so they grab, hit late, whatever.

Holding is getting out of hand at both the College and Pro level. Its called a lot more in the NFL but offensive players are grabbing defenders on every play. Especially rampant is grabbing of the jersey/shoulder pads on the outside of the shoulders. On the other hand without the "allowable" holding like that I don't know if anyone could score. The athletes playing defense are just getting too big and too fast to block.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I thought Gandy did a poor job of adjusting to Harrison during the game. I mean he got whipped on the speed move outside all day long. Harrison is a beast, but I think you have to see it coming at some point. The Cards left him out there one-on-one with him all game, but decided against giving him help.

Reaction score
Something else nobody seems to be mentioning is when Warner took off his helmet to argue with the refs about the grounding call, but didn't get flagged.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's all water under the bridge now of course Russ but I am almost positive Hightower got clipped on the interception return by Harrison that of course wasn't called. Don't wanna blame the refs. We had our chances but...if I am right this may have been THE difference maker. Take that TD interception return away and we win the game. I posted it in more detail in another thread.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/refs-calling-the-game-one-way-128938.html

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's all water under the bridge now of course Russ but I am almost positive Hightower got clipped on the interception return by Harrison that of course wasn't called. Don't wanna blame the refs. We had our chances but...if I am right this may have been THE difference maker. Take that TD interception return away and we win the game. I posted it in more detail in another thread.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/refs-calling-the-game-one-way-128938.html

I never agree with one play deciding a game - if we go in the half up 14-10, then Clancy does some bone headed 3 man rush in the third quarter and we are down 24-14 in no time. You just can't hold one event up, change it and suggest that every event after it remains intact.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score

Saw that hit and we did catch a break, but Hartwig is the b^tch who ran his mouth about the Cards schedule before the game and was probably running his stupid mouth the whole game. So glad he he got his ass trucked over on that huge Safety call.

Although he is prone to some bonehead penalties (see celebration penaly in ATL playoff game), Dockett's play on Sunday was positively inspiring. What an absolute Pro Bowl type performance.

/orders red Dockett jersey from NFL shop

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
You know, I'm getting tired of hearing about the bad officiating. The officials didn't make our defense suck at the end, and they didn't make Warner hold on to the ball too long. I have no doubt that had Warner got that pass off, we would have either scored that play or the next one (Fitz jump ball in the endzone, even in a 4 on 1 I would like our chances).

There were bad calls sure, but it wasn't to the point where we still shouldn't have won had we not broke down in the last 2 minutes.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I never agree with one play deciding a game - if we go in the half up 14-10, then Clancy does some bone headed 3 man rush in the third quarter and we are down 24-14 in no time. You just can't hold one event up, change it and suggest that every event after it remains intact.

A distinct possibility on Clancy and the bone headed 3 man rush. However not an absolute certainty. It looks like Tim had a good angle on Harrison and almost certainly would have knocked him out of bounds. However we don't know that for sure either. One thing is for sure they got a TD that they shouldn't have. Take that away and who knows.