Wolfley's James Thesis: Part 1

Jim O

Reaction score
Wolfley's James Thesis: Part 1
Ron Wolfley
Cardinals Analyst

You must be registered for see images

The free-agent signing of Edgerrin James by the Arizona Cardinals was a coup, indeed. We’re not talking about your average, run-of-the-mill coup in some third-world country where names are mispronounced and governments fall like sliced pepperoni. This is the coup d’etat of free-agent signings – the Coup de Edge – and, to this analyst, like eating the big-boy-bag of Cheetos in your boxers, watching the stooges slap each other around. I mean, this is pretty satisfying stuff.

Whenever an NFL team signs a high-profile free agent there are three-criterion that must be examined: what does the player bring to the table individually, what does he bring to the team, and what does he do for the franchise? Like Moe slapping Cheeto dust from my face, Edgerrin James makes this examination a stunning exercise in the obvious.

Having said all this, I’ll try to leave the land of the concussed, find some nuggets of lucidity, and point out things you may not have considered.

Individually, there are three things a running back can do: run the football, catch the football and block for teammates. Arguably, in my opinion, Edgerrin James is the best running back in the National Football League. He may not be the best runner in the NFL; he may not be the best receiver in the NFL; and, he may not be the best blocker in the NFL. But when you evaluate James as a runner, receiver and blocker few, if any, running backs in this league measure up. The Edge can do it all.

Running the football to Edgerrin James is like canvas to daVinci. I won’t bore you with stats. Take my word for it; he’s good. Yards per carry are a reflection of a back’s ability to run the ball but cannot be considered apart from scheme and personnel. You need to consider what blocking schemes were used and, more importantly, who did he run behind? Edgerrin James excelled in a zone-scheme at Indianapolis and ran behind a very solid, if not spectacular, offensive line.

No matter here. We’re not evaluating The Edge within the context of yesterday; we’re evaluating him individually, as a runner, today.

James’s vision is what sets him apart from his contemporaries. You can talk about Edgerrin’s break away speed, shifty, open-field moves, acceleration, balance and surprising power, but what he sees and when he sees it makes him “The Edge.” His ability to find the opening in defensive fronts is mind numbing, like (Cardinals Sideline Reporter) Paul Calvisi on game day. This incredible vision, within a zone-blocking scheme, is why he’s dominated much of the league, made Cardinal fans slap-happy and given this analyst real hope for a much improved Cardinal running game.

But doubt still lingers like Tuesday’s cheese-ball, does it not my friends?

The outside-zone running play, attacking the perimeter of a defense, has been around for awhile. Recently, two-teams in the NFL have set the standard for this play: Kansas City (with Priest Holmes) and Indianapolis, formerly known as the Colts with Edgerrin James. The majority of yards gained rushing in the NFL by James have come on this single play. It suits him and uses his uncanny vision to choose where he wants to run the ball. Why? Because the outside-zone is really a misnomer: this play can hit anywhere down the line-of-scrimmage – even behind the center! The only limitation as to where the ball goes is based on the back’s vision – what he sees and what he doesn’t see. Simply put, because of his vision, James runs this play better than Dean Martin drank martinis.

Scheme means coaches and this is where it gets good. Dennis Green was on the ground-floor in Minnesota when the outside-zone was conceived, shredding the league with Robert Smith. Steve Loney, the Cardinals new offensive line coach, has worked with Coach Green and is infinitely familiar with the outside-zone. In addition, Cardinals offensive-coordinator, Keith Rowen, was the tight-ends coach in Kansas City when Priest Holmes ran this play, coaching a position that’s key to the outside-zone’s success. These guys know this play like the back of their grease-board hands and might be the first play installed in training camp – the fulcrum of the Cardinals rushing attack.

Fortunately for Cardinal fans, the value of Edgerrin James and what he brings to the table as an individual player is not limited to running the football. In today’s NFL, if you want to be a complete back, you must be able to catch the ball out of the back-field.

In this case, I will point to Edgerrin’s statistics: James has 356 receptions for 2,839 yards and 11 touchdowns receiving in his seven seasons. Unlike rushing, one can look at a back’s receiving stats and make definitive conclusions. James has averaged 51-receptions, 406-yards and an average of 8-yards per reception, per season, since he came in the league. These are gaudy and good numbers for any running back, speaking directly to his ability to impact the passing game.

Receiving stats show James’s ability to get open and actually catch the ball when it’s thrown to him. Although many of these receptions are caught in flare-control or “check-down” situations, do not underestimate the importance of these receptions.

Zone-cover schemes, especially cover-2, are predominant in the NFL. Flare-control, backs releasing out of the backfield into pass patterns, keeps zone linebackers from dropping under routes downfield, especially when it’s Edgerrin James coming out of the backfield! Pick your poison, Mr. Linebacker: drop too deeply and Kurt Warner will dump it off, in the open-field, to Edgerrin, jump James coming out of the backfield and that curl-route looks real good to Warner, Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitgerald. Can you taste it, brothers and sisters? That’s a big, steaming bowl of Dim-Sum-Uh-Oh.

And now, my friends, in our evaluation of what Edgerrin James brings to the table as an individual player, I give you the coup de grace: his ability to hold up in pass protection!

Oh, the many splendid things of an every-down back; let us gaze upon its beauty and marvel at the power, thereof.

Walter Payton may have been the best at picking up blitzing linebackers; it’s one of the things that made him the best running back ever to play the game. He was the consummate every-down back.

Edgerrin James isn’t bad either. He certainly isn’t a liability in protection. This will be one of the biggest changes to the Cardinals’ 2006 offense: the ability to go 3-wides, with James in the backfield, run six-man protections, releasing 4-receivers into the pattern and a possible fifth receiver in the form of a James check-down. With the likes of Fitzgerald, Boldin and Bryant Johnson releasing into coverage it’s easy to see why this will be a favorite personnel-package of the Cardinals. Although James wasn’t brought in to pick up blitzing linebackers and the Cardinals will want to limit his exposure to such assignments, it’s nice to know he can do it, giving the offense greater flexibility.

Because of Edgerrin James, I could see the Cardinals going with a lot of “check-with-me” plays in this 3-wide package. On a check-with-me, two-plays are called in the huddle. When the quarterback gets to the line-of-scrimmage he calls the play he wants to run, using the cadence, based on what the defense does. Out of this personnel-package, a run-pass check-with-me is a beautiful thing.

If the defense walks a player out of the box over the slot receiver, something defensive-coordinators often do (depending on the defense), that leaves 6-defenders “in the box.” The quarterback, using a run-pass check-with-me, will call the running play to James because the defense only has six-in-the-box. If the defense leaves 7-defenders in the box, the quarterback will call the passing play, often using a form of six-man protection. The idea is the defense can’t be right. Although this premise doesn’t always work – defenses are very sophisticated and good at disguising coverage – James would increase the odds of it working.

Individually, Edgerrin James brings more than mere ability to the table for the Cardinals. He expands Keith Rowen’s playbook, significantly. With the addition of James, the Dirty Birds, offensively, just got filthy…

Check back next week for Part 2 of Wolf's James Thesis!

seesred

Reaction score
Reading this makes you want to play the games now! The Cardinals got the Edge and I'm feeling bad!

GBR

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
Very good write-up. Lets hope the OL will be able to pull this off and if they do, we could really do some damage to the opposing defenses.

Cant wait until the season starts to see if this goes according to there plan.

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love articles heavy on X's and O's. It's a much better read than the crap you usually see that's filled with generalities.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Jim, you need to have Ron Wolfley do a lot more articles. I had no idea he was such a good writter. With his first hand knowledge of the game and his very funny wit he makes for a very good read.

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Jim, you need to have Ron Wolfley do a lot more articles. I had no idea he was such a good writter. With his first hand knowledge of the game and his very funny wit he makes for a very good read.

If you thought that part one was entertaining...just wait for parts two and three of the James Thesis.

Also, later in the Summer when there is that lull right before training camp and it is boring as can be, we have some special "Wolfleyized" stuff to unleash over the course of a month. It is really fun stuff...you will all like it.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Ouch! I'm pinching myself.....Ouch! Must be a dream..........Ouch! This can't be true...............Ouch! Did we really do this................OUCH!!!!! I AM awake and we really DID get the EDGE!!!!!!!!!:notworthy

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jim, you need to have Ron Wolfley do a lot more articles. I had no idea he was such a good writer.
Roger that. Great stuff.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The outside-zone running play, attacking the perimeter of a defense, has been around for awhile. Recently, two-teams in the NFL have set the standard for this play: Kansas City (with Priest Holmes) and Indianapolis, formerly known as the Colts with Edgerrin James. The majority of yards gained rushing in the NFL by James have come on this single play. It suits him and uses his uncanny vision to choose where he wants to run the ball. Why? Because the outside-zone is really a misnomer: this play can hit anywhere down the line-of-scrimmage – even behind the center! The only limitation as to where the ball goes is based on the back’s vision – what he sees and what he doesn’t see. Simply put, because of his vision, James runs this play better than Dean Martin drank martinis.

Oh, it;s a beutiful thang.:cheers:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
This is the kind of story that breaks up off season monotony. Damn, I got goosebumps.

Sort of puts you on the playing field. Great read and great insight.

gnomepete

Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for "a GREAT read" . . .

With so many media "experts" trashing Edge's signing, it's really good to hear someone with NFL experience - as a running back even - give detailed step-by-step reasoning why it's a GREAT signing.

Thank you Jim O and thank you Ron Wolfley!

Pete

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
Lex said:
Wolf rocks.

Nice Avatar!

It's funny. I found an old authentic game used Wolfley jersey in the basement of the training facility right before we made the trek to SF to play the Forty Niners last season. I brought it with me and I put it on in the booth in the middle of the game. Wolf turned around and saw it just as we were coming back from commercial and he almost lost it! I think that I am going to get it framed and hang it in the booth in the new stadium!

Heck...It might be the one in Lex's avatar!

bigredjane

& amp; quot ;Car d s Crazy
Reaction score
Ron Rules!

I adore him and he makes the broadcasts with his "Wolflyisms"!

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wolfley=:thumbup:

He was always one of my favorite players and he has become my favorite announcer.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Wolfley is just another reason...

...this team is turning a corner. I think he is a budding star...just like the team.

The Card's picked a GREAT color analyst.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
imaCafan said:
Ouch! I'm pinching myself.....Ouch! Must be a dream..........Ouch! This can't be true...............Ouch! Did we really do this................OUCH!!!!! I AM awake and we really DID get the EDGE!!!!!!!!!:notworthy

LMAO, My feelings exactly, time to bust out Madden and start running with Edge

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Redheart said:
...this team is turning a corner. I think he is a budding star...just like the team.

The Card's picked a GREAT color analyst.

It's impossible to deny that we're making progress as a franchise.

And people are underestimating how good edge is going to make this team.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lex said:
Wolf rocks.

thank you....it is really a very well written and interesting...do you think the other 31 teams know this?? :)

it really doesn't make a difference because not too many have the ammo we have....and i have the utmost in confidence that the OL will not look like the keystone cops this year with the position coach we have.

i mentioned this once before...when we had wiley as OL line coach things headed south very quickly because his so called schemes were just that...schemes and tecnically poorly planned out....then this got topped off by a guy who was NOT a coach and fell further downstream...the winning programs had one degree of separation between himself and the OL coaches....take a look........even in our "glory days" (that is 6-10 or 7-9 in cardinal speak)... they were always the best when we had a head coach that was an OL guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser